1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghan Lawmaker refuses to look at HBO's Isobel Yeung during interview

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Apr 9, 2016.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exactly. It's important to keep pointing out intolerance, and to keep speaking up against it - although certain people (yes, I am looking at leftists and at those Muslims who tacitly approve of such behavior) would prefer to sweep these things under the rug, and therefore attack the messenger ("why do you keep talking about this", "you are obsessed", "you need help").

2. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO No, it isn't a sign of respect at all.... however let the excuses keep coming. I know you have to rationalize, rather than admit you are associated with a backwards religion.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope. And now you are trying to stuff words into my mouth. Classic ATW. Can't debate in an intellectually honest way.

I agree. But that isn't what is being debated. Perhaps read more carefully.

My only point was that ATW said trustme thought it was ok that the guy disrespected her but trustme didn't say that. I don't like it when people stuff words in people's mouths and he does that a lot. Then to try to cover it up he changes it into "Do you dispute he disrespected her" as if to say I am taking a position I am not.

dude, seriously? The first "enlightened" cultures on Earth were the middle east, china, and India. The Romans invaded the middle east, not the other way around. You really don't know your history.

Which people? Westerners? Because those are the people who read this board.

You folks are so focused on the eye contact as being what's wrong that you missed what's actually news worthy. That he actually threatened sexual abuse to this women, and that 100's of afghanis are demanding his resignation. Instead no one shares that here, they just talk about how backwards Islam is.

This isn't about changing anything, it's about being superior and looking down. This guy looked down on a reporter, and you guys look down on his entire culture and region. You have Dada talking about the entire middle east being a cesspool.

#103 Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

His comment was nonsense. In this case that guy's only intention was disrespect. Everyone should be in agreeance on that.

That being said, on the tangent you two are commenting on...

In a lot of the eastern world to make explicit eye contact with a woman while talking to her is seen as disrespectful. It's not polite to "stare" at women.

Obviously that's much different than ever even looking at her period. That's just insane. It seems like trustme is naively confounding those two ideas. Telling people they're following a backwards religion seems counterproductive to anything though.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

In a sense that adherents to that backwards religion will tune you out as soon as you say that their religion is backwards. However, it doesn't make it any less true.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man you really aren't a sharp one.

1. That was her twitter account, twitter is world wide
    2. Her interview was also published in many publications including Elle
    3. If you notice, she's not "WESTERN", she's worked in Shanghai and Hong Kong news
    4. You obviously didn't watch her video segment, or the entire episode on HBO

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ironic, because we actually attack the religion, while you attribute it to their culture.

8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I think we should give Afghanistan to El Chapo.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Agreed. Unfortunately, Sweet Lou/New Yorker (whichever bipolar personality was talking at any given time) apparently doesn't agree.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Hey you sociopath, you want to stalk me some more? Why don't you spend you day digging through 10 year olds posts in a pathetic effort to score some sort of psycho points?

You might want to stick to posting about the 99'ers and Rockets history because you clearly didn't understand what I was saying. Ironic that you would tell me I'm not a smart one.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

You are the one who doesn't read.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That's right.

I genuinely believe that you think Islam is the problem. But you respect the culture. I see the problem as the west having nurtured radicalism from a patriarchal culture and that genie went out of their control.

Radical Islam wasn't there 200 years ago. It didn't come from Islam, it came from various factors one of which was the clash between west and east.

What's telling about people like Dada and ATW and Tinman - is they care nothing about supporting the reaction to what this guy did and the reaction in Afghanistan - instead they care about condemning Islam more. What about the people who follow Islam and are criticizing this man? No - they don't want to hear that, because it run contrary to their narrative.

Ironic indeed.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No dude, you said "International attention" and my point was it's the local attention it gets in Afghanistan that will cause reform.

Like I said, stick to the 99'ers.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

If you read it, hundreds of afghans are also calling for his removal because of her.

Go back to being new yorker

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Don't forget New Yorker. I heard that guy is a real ass.

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

There's no truth value to that statement.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Ummm, if you had read what I wrote you would have realized that I had indeed read it.

Oh the irony!!!

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I heard he doesn't like sociopathic Germans that stalk people and post their place of work as a means to harass them.

You can't debate anyone on here, so here's what do you - you just do these nasty ugly things. You like to hurt people; it's clear that you are not a very good person.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Why can't you people discuss this without insulting each other?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes, I know all that - but they are now back to the dark ages - the rest of the world should get together and outlaw religious leaders being in charge of a country.

Religion is terrible for government.

And yeah, Islam and it's inherent flaws and hypocrisy are a problem - it needs a new testament.....

DD