1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghan Lawmaker refuses to look at HBO's Isobel Yeung during interview

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You really that quote is saying that the issue isn't Islam right?

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I liked the speaking point about how Afghanistan was so much better 30 years ago. Ever since it got turned into a **** hole all these uneducated r****d clerics decided to sit on the throne.

That man has small dick syndrome btw.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Brohammad is actually pro-feminist. By not looking at her, he cannot stare-rape her. All you pigs commenting on her looks are setting women's rights back by stare-raping her.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe Exile wasn't staring at her either. Seems like he didn't watch the short clip.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he better learn quickly not to mess with the 99ers.

in this world, we are the gods, he better kneel and worship Clutch, me, DaDakota, and Moe

6. Nook

Nook Member

Islam doesn't view women as equal to men. There are some Muslims that view women as equal but it is despite the teachings of Islam.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

She gets it.

The whole video is about Afghan people, not about Muslims. She is showing you what Afghan women have to deal with. It's not an accurate reflection of what most Muslim women have to deal with, because in other countries Muslim women can ignore clerics all they want. In Afghanistan, these people rule over them by force. If anyone had any compassion for the actual subject of the video, their first reaction would be to feel horrible for these women rather than to mindlessly extrapolate this to 1 billion people who nominally share the same title for no good reason.

There are a billion muslims in the world. The spectrum ranges from those who believe 'it's ok to rape any non-Muslim' to the the most feminist views on earth. Just like Christianity. Just like Judaism. Just like Hinduism. That's over half the earth's population in just those religions together.

There is no useful ideological trend to deduce from a sample size that includes only extreme elements. It's like me interviewing the head priest of the westboro baptist church and insinuating that it's representative of Christians. I can find Christian teachers/pastors/priests who believe it ok to execute Muslims gung-ho. That's not what Christianity is about. These clerics are not chosen by their people. These are a bunch of violent, trained, armed, funded psychos who claim to be the same TYPE of Muslim as everyone else, and dare anyone to challenge that view. If you are saying this is an issue with the vague term "Muslim" or "Islam" then you are essentially calling the victims here (Muslim women) immoral too.

As for Afghan clerics, maybe you should bomb the extremists and execute their leaders, that might make them stop being criminals? Worth a try. See what happens.

1 person likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Aaaaaand Mathloon with the Islam apologist rant again...

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

Exactly. This post will be hated by the ignorant and loved by the intelligent.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The treatment by the clerics is bad, but like i posted in the last thread a lot of this happens in hindu society too.

Since nobody cared enough to actually denounce the practice over there, the wife was asked to pay for their honeymoon by begging her parents for money, then asked to pay for her husband's education, and then killed (by her own parents ) because she was miserable with her husband abusing and exploiting her. With bride burning and all this other stuff you could argue that its just as bad in a lot of parts in India. Education and prosperity go a long way, but first I do have to agree that rounding up all these clerics and tossing them in a ditch would have to take place.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The Quran explicitly states that the wife must obey her husband. I don't know how you can be any more clear that Islam doesn't view women and men as equals. WHy must she explictly lie? Why can't she just not say anything about it instead?

This is where Christian doctrine and Islamic doctrine are pretty much the same though as the Bible has the almost very exact same notions.

12. fchowd0311

It's as if the Muslims who actually use Islam as their moral guideline instead of just culture read the Quran and the hadith that explicitly state that a woman must obey their husband.

Ya, I have no clue where Muslims would get such misogynist notions.

And stating that Afghanistan is an anomaly is just a blatant lie. Women can't drive in one if the most wealthiest and American friendly Muslim countries in the world.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Saudi is pretty rich and they still treat their women like dirt. What incentive does a muslim man have to give up his power?

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

i am not sure why you insist to spread this crap when in reality you know nothing,

read this verse in Quran 2:229, regarding marriage affairs

[[retained with dignity ,love and honour or allowed to leave with kindness and grace]]

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Let's just remember that Mathloom is the guy who posted this:

Mathloom was also the guy who blamed a female victim in UAE for her rape.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does the Quran say a woman must obey her husband?

17. fchowd0311

Quran 4:34:
    "Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand."

Translation provided by Quran.com
    http://quran.com/4/34

Here comes the 'out of context' defense. For the liberal non-muslim posters here, don't worry, no need to scold me this time because the Bible has the same sentiments. I know you guys harp on me if I state if something is uniquely a Islam problem, but if I state but 'also Christianity' then it's fine.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

as an obediences of slavery like , nope .

a man and a women :each has rights as well as duties.

assume one of them has an obligation that has not been met, then the next step to take a time off, a period of reconciliation and re-thoughts, if things doest work out, then there is a divorce

its common nowadays . a wife asks for divorce by saying : I dont find him attractive enough! its all about fitting . as of divorce rate sky-rocketed to over 50% between couples in ME

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I haven't disputed any of these things. If you just want to state these things, ok.

But this documentary is about Afghanistan and that cleric has nothing in common with the huge HUGE majority of Muslims. The huge majority of Muslims do not believe that it is ok to rape your wife, which is what he said.

Is an ideology from 1,300 years ago misogynistic? Of course it is. There are even larger examples of misogyny in there. Great discovery. Totally irrelevant to this story, as the host herself states. She speaks Persian so I assume she has relevant experience with Islam as well.

Also, great job calling Saudi mainstream. There are 1 billion Muslims in the world, 965 million of them are not Saudi, and of the 35 million not even half believe that you can RAPE YOUR WIFE, and of the whatever million that believe the scripture says it's not a sin to rape your wife, most of them don't believe you should rape your wife. Most importantly, the overwhelming majority of Muslim men don't rape their wives.

I suggest you look at some statistics about marital rape in Western culture, Asian culture and African culture. You are woefully misinformed here. There is absolutely no peer reviewed data which shows a correlation between the prevalence of Islam and the prevalence of marital rape. This is pure conjecture on your part, and I don't blame you because your experience with Islam is growing up in partial Bangladeshi culture and going to war in Afghani villages. If I based my view on the Islam that surrounded me growing up, I would have an overly optimistic view of progress on this but I don't do that. I know that living in Dubai affords a different life than growing up in Sanaa, and I know that Dubai's laws in that regard do not sufficiently protect women. There is a reason why "Islamic" women's rights are much more progressive in non-Arab countries - it's because it has nothing to do with Islam, and everything to do with geography and society. It's because Muslim is a meaningless term when it allows you to interpret it so widely.

The Christian minorities in these countries also have terrible standards when it comes to marital rape. Look at Syrian, Lebanese and Egyptian Christians. If you think they are somehow magically more progressive on these issues, you are dreaming.

Afghani village people are alien to Muslims worldwide and a nightmare for women. That's what this story is about. If we were having this discussion 100 years ago, I would agree with you. But that's simply not how society is formed or informed anymore.

It's pretty crazy that as a travelled person you still don't understand the difference between an Afghan and a Tunisian. In one of the most recent and only peer reviewed studies, 34% of American women feel they have been coerced into having sex with their intimate partner out of obligation. 34%.

If we get psychotic and assume marital rape is some ridiculous number like 45% in muslim majority countries - are you insinuating that the 10% MUST BE because of Islam while having nothing to do with education, national law, income, etc?

Give me a break. Marital rape is higher in Muslim majority countries because the laws and education in Muslim majority countries - which the muslims there have no part in creating - are garbage and there is no way to deal with legal institutions which are bought and sold by misogynistic authoritarians.

In your head it may seem like what you're saying makes sense, because as John Oliver says it's one of those things which sounds like it may be true, but it has no connection to reality. There ARE real educated explanations for why the misogynistic rape culture is high in muslim majority countries, there's no need to speculate based on anecdotes and mental aerobics.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Didn't you post at some point that like more than 90 % of all Muslim literature worldwide is funded out of Saudi Arabia, and that they have had a huge impact in the radicalization of mainstream Islam in the world? I am pretty sure I could still find that post. That would totally contradict your current attempt to downplay their role.

Edit: This is one of several posts where you say that: