1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Affliction is done

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by robbie380, Jul 24, 2009.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_y...g=ki-afflictiondone072409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Affliction folds MMA promotion, will sponsor UFC

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports 58 minutes ago

Yahoo! Sports

After promoting two critically acclaimed but financially disastrous mixed martial arts cards, Affliction on Friday first canceled its pay-per-view card scheduled for Aug. 1 and then opted to get out of the promotional business, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

The company and the Ultimate Fighting Championship are expected to release a statement sometime on Friday in which it is announced that Affliction will cease operations as a promoter and that its clothing division will become a UFC sponsor.

Affliction had a card slated for Aug. 1 with a main event of Fedor Emelianenko, the No. 2 fighter in the Yahoo! Sports mixed martial arts rankings, against former UFC champion Josh Barnett at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

But Barnett tested positive for an anabolic steroid and on Tuesday was denied a license to fight by the California State Athletic Commission.

That left Affliction scrambling to fight a replacement for Emelianenko. With no viable alternatives – the best was former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort, who was already down to 195 pounds for a scheduled middleweight fight – Affliction early Friday opted to scrap the show.

Later in the day, Affliction came to terms on a deal in which it would quit promoting fight cards. However, the status of the fighter contracts belonging to Affliction is unknown.

They could revert to the UFC or they could become free agents, able to sign with the promoter of their choice.

Multiple sources had indicated to Yahoo! Sports that Affliction was on the verge of a deal with Strikeforce for some sort of merger, but that fell apart in the last 24-48 hours. That’s when talks began anew between White and Affliction. They had spoken earlier in July about such a scenario, but were unable to come to a deal.

2. MoBalls

MoBalls Member

Here comes the Fedor vs Brock fight.....

3. Jayou

Jayou Member

Yes! I want to see Brock acting like a complete ass talking **** to Fedor and then getting beat down big time.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

Dana White must be laughing like crazy.

5. ClutchCityReturns

Does that mean we'll see less of the gaudy shirts?

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Member

QFT.

[​IMG]

7. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Member

good going josh barnett.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

With Tapout still around? Not likely!

9. ClutchCityReturns

Well, I did say "less" so maybe there's hope.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

sorry the title is a bit misleading since affliction will still be a clothing sponsor in the ufc.

11. Realjad

Realjad Member

sucks, looks like we will actually being seeing more of the shirts since they are now UFC's sponsers.

I was looking forward to seeing Chris Horedecki fight I was going to bet a lot of money on him.

Doesn't look like Fedor will be coming to the UFC, he is still being promoted by M1 and unless they cross promote with the UFC it doesn't look like it will happen.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well I was trying to say if Affliction shirts disappeared, they'd all run to Tapout because "I R MMA FAN AND I R TUFF!". :D

13. rockets934life

WOW Brock vs Fedor is really going to happen now! Going to go to a bar and enjoy that bad boy while getting wasted!

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Man... I stayed at Mandalay Bay while checking out the Vegas Summer League during the weekend of UFC 100. Saw so many MMA fans in these shirts. Nauseating.

15. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Member

Barnett killed the Trilogy, Affliction, and his career. He was going to be in one of the biggest fights of the year in MMA and he killed it. He will never fight again in the US.

Dana will buy out Fedor's contract and we will have Fedor vs Lesnar in December.

16. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

What kind of blasphemy is this? No. 2? Anyone know who they have at No. 1?

17. MoBalls

MoBalls Member

And this is why I watch at home... ;)

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was going to say Anderson Silva, but it's GSP :

1. Georges St-Pierre (19-2) UFC 170pts
    2. Fedor Emelianenko (30-1-1) Affliction 163pts
    3. Anderson Silva (24-4) UFC 144pts
    4. Miguel Angel Torres (36-1) WEC 122pts
    5. Lyoto Machida (15-0) UFC 105pts
    6. BJ Penn (13-5-1) UFC 85pts
    7. Mike Brown (22-4) WEC 65pts
    8. Quinton Jackson (30-7) UFC 49pts
    9. Brock Lesnar (4-1) UFC 24pts
    10. Rashad Evans (13-1-1) UFC 16pts
    10. Dan Henderson (25-7) UFC 16pts

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't get this ranking. It must because Fedor hasn't been that active lately. The guy really hasn't lost a fight and has gone up with almost every great heavyweight of the last decade and destroyed them.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

OMG that sounds AWESOME! Lets put on our Affliction gear and get some Jager Bombs and some b****es bro!