1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice: what would you do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrianKagy, Jan 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Just curious to see how other people would handle this type of situation. A few days ago, I lent my nearly new Fender Stage 160 amp to a good friend of mine to try out. I planned on selling the amp, which I bought brand new a year ago for $550 and have used less than 50 times, for around $500 on eBay. My friend mentioned that he was in the market for an amp, so I let him borrow it.

Apparently, as he was transporting it back to his house, it fell out of his truck bed.

While he was doing 60.

On the highway.

And it got hit.

By a big, ****in' Chevy Suburban.

When he told me, I thought he was kidding. He said it still sounded absolutely terrific, so apparently the amp still somehow works as well as it did prior to the accident (I'm not sure I'll believe this unti I hear it myself).

The problem here is that I lent him a nearly new amp worth $500 and I'll be getting back a smashed up amp worth considerably less than that. The only reason that I won't be able to sell the amp for its proper value is because of his negligence. But, he's one of my closest friends and I don't want to just go off on him. I'll admit, my first reaction was to think, "OK, friend, you just bought yourself a $500 amp. Cash or check accepted."

What would you do if you were me?

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If I were a friend who had done that to your amp, I would already be handing you a check or asking about an installment plan.

If he doesn't offer, you should ask for him to pay to either have it fully restored to its original condition or just to buy it outright. If he is broke, he could at least offer to split it and give you $250, but that is the VERY least he should do.

A real friend takes responsibility if something like that happens and you should expect nothing less - ESPECIALLY when it comes to music gear.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I would make him pay. Make no profit off of it. If you paid 300, sell the AMP for however much you can get, and make him pay the difference.

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

do you have insurance? like renter's insurance or home insurance? the amp should be covered?

but i agree with Jeff, the LEAST the guy could do is pay for half, if not ALL of the cost of the amp...

ooh.. i hate letting people borrow expensive stuff. i mean expensive stuff like a TV, amp, or a car!!

good luck
    rH

5. BrianKagy

Just got off the phone with my insurance agent. It's not covered. Well, I mean the amp is covered if the place burns down, but not against negligence.

I can't believe this happened. I've always lent stuff out without thinking twice about it. I guess I'm going to have to re-think that approach.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"I say, show me an autopsy that shows this cat died of starvation, then I spring for a new cat."
    --George Costanza trying to explain why he shouldn't have to compensate a girl for starving her cat

How did it fall out of his truck? Did he not have the door shut? That would be the only question I would have.

7. BrianKagy

I haven't pumped him for details yet. I'm still too shocked and angry to be polite.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

BK, can I borrow your Accord? :)

Seriously, I'll just echo the sentiments expressed in this thread, but I'll take it a step further. If I borrowed something from Major, a really good friend, and broke it, hell yes, I'd pay him back. If I borrowed something from TheFreak, a good friend, and I broke it, hell yes, I'd pay him back. If I borrowed something from Jeff or you, people I've met once (and liked :) ) and I broke it, hell yes, I'd pay him back. If I borrowed something from RichRocket or MrSpur, and I broke it, hell yes, I'd pay him back.

Friendship as nothing to do in a case like this. If he broke something of your's in his possession, he should pay you back, no questions asked.

9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This could become a sticky issue. If your friend is into doing the right thing, he would offer to give you some sort of restitution (of course that is if he knew you were going to sell the amp). If you come out and ask for some sort of payment for damages, you might end up damaging your friendship. It really depends on how comfortable you feel with asking for the money from your friend. I guess, based upon your description, that because the amp still works, your friend might have removed himself from feeling as though he owed you anything.

Like I said...this can be sticky. Sometimes, a friendship is worth more than any material item.

10. Major

Major Member

<B>If I borrowed something from Major, a really good friend, and broke it, hell yes, I'd pay him back.</B>

Hell yeah you would!

BK, just send him an invoice. Don't mention anything, just mail him one. :)

I'm still curious how it flew out of his truck. Things don't just fly out of truck beds, as far as I know!

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

What about R0ckets 03? If you broke something of his like his donkey, would you pay him back?

12. BrianKagy

For some reason, that just reminded me of Bob Whitsitt sending a bunch of Trail Blazers paraphenelia that fan who'd been ejected from a game-- and sending it postage due. ;)

boomboom is on the right track. That's really the issue. I don't feel comfortable asking him for money, because (to be crass about it) I make a lot more money than he does. I don't feel like I should have to ask him. Everyone I asked had the RM95 response-- "I'd offer to pay for it".

It occurs to me that I could be a dick and tell him, "Tell you what. You keep that one and get me a new one. It can be a used amp, but it has to be in the same cherry condition as my amp was before you took it concrete-skiing."

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Sounds like you got all the advice you needed, Brian. Like everyone else, I would have paid for the amp if I was your friend, and I would expect payment if I was you. The only thing I'd add is, if your friend is dirt-poor and can't afford $500, I might give him some time to pay you back.

Of course, considering the fact that your friend ruined your amp, then followed it up by not offering to pay, I don't know that he deserves any leniency. Dude's being an ass.

14. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

If you borrow something it's your responsibility...no matter what the circumstances are.

I'm with what Jeff said.... I would have already been discussing a way to pay you,to replace it.... if this guy doesn't feel this way,than perhaps he's not worth having as a friend.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course! I'd ask Favre to pay for half though.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Of course. BK shouldn't have to ask him to pay. The friend should offer to pay. At least most everyone here would.

If he doesn't offer to pay, I'd ask him to buy the amp since he's looking for an amp and since he says its in good condition. The price would be the estimated value of the amp (no profit) before the accident. If he says no or asks for a discount then its really up to you. He is a close friend so you might have to just take a loss.

He should know the value of the amp decreased significantly in the accident no matter the working condition. And I think whatever warranty you had on the amp might have ended.

#16 Smokey, Jan 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2002
  17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

He should buy the amp from you. It was his screw up, and ignorance is no excuse for anything. As Jeff said, if it were me, you'd already have either a check or an IOU.

18. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

EXACTLY!

If he didn't say anything towards buying the thing from you, I'd mention something like,
    "Now what do I do, you know I was gonna get at least 500 bucks for it on Ebay"
    or "So, you gonna buy the amp now?"
    or "WTF do I do with a broken up amp?"
    Say something, if hes your friend you can let your true colors show and it'll still be all good.

bummer dude:(

19. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

hmmm... can anyone say "small claims court"
    or does anyone know someone with some "muscle" we can break the guy's leg or something!? :D

20. Nomar

Nomar Member

BK- Does he know that you were going to sell the amp over Ebay? If not, I can sort of see why he wouldnt offer to pay you back. After all, it works as well as before. Maybe if you let him know you were going to sell it, he would offer to pay you for it.