1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice to your younger selves (perspectives)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vwiggin, Nov 4, 2006.

1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

If you could give advice to your younger self, what would it be? I know we've done a couple of these threads before, but it's been a while and I'm guessing some perspectives might have changed.

I'm 30.

To my 20-year-old self:

-The most important things you'll learn is outside of class. Less studying, more exploring, meeting people, and getting into trouble. Take a year off to travel abroad. See the world before your mind gets indoctrinated with useless college crap.

-Start your own business. You're not too young. Start learning the basics, learn some programming skills, learn accounting, don't think you have to be a genius to be a young entrepreneur. It really just take imagination and hard work.

-Take good care of your body. Yes, you don't feel it yet, but trust me, your partying is going to catch up with you.

-Don't be afraid of failure. Trust me, it is a lot better to fail at 20 than it is at 30, 40, or 50. Don't be so concerned about keeping your "permanent record" sparkling clean.

-Give love a chance. Sure, you have a certain ideal of what your girlfriend is supposed to be like, but in reality, you really should date around. You'll surprise yourself at how many differnt types of women you can become attracted to (and compatible with), if only you gave them a chance.

-Only take advice from successful people. 90% of the hacks out there are giving you BS. Find good role models and duplicate their success.

-For the love of all that is holy, get rid of that twin bed. ;)

What's your advice?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The only advice I would give myself is the one everyone else gave me which is to be more patient and have perspective. 10 years is a very short amount of time but you don't realize it until you are older. When you are 20, you see 10 years as half of your life but 10 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I would definitely tell myself not to get wrapped up with some of the knucklehead chicks when I was a youngster. And that whole thing with MR. MEOWGI was just really dumb...

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

You will always be my little Doogie.

5. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

:eek:

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Same advice I lived by and now give my 20 year old:

You're only young once so enjoy yourself, but not at the expense of your future. Always keep at least one foot on the ground.

As an aside, and an example, just this week I was screening a batch of employment applications and noticed one that had checked "yes" to a felony conviction. Poor dude was busted for pot in the late '60s when it was still a felony. That indiscretion haunts him to this very day.