1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(advice) negligent dog owners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by conquistador#11, Oct 25, 2014.

1. conquistador#11

I was just attacked by a pitbull and some other breed of dog while walking my anakin (around 45 minutes ago). there were no casualties except for my bleeding hand, which I've wrapped.

Had it not been for a samaritan, in that neighborhood, that just happened to be outside, I don't know what would have transpired. Those dogs caught us off guard. I had just picked up anakin's poop when they ambushed us.

The Samaritan stepping in, distracting the dogs, gave me enough time to pick and carry anakin. As I was leaving, with those dogs still on around me, jumping to reach for anakin, I hear the owner call for his dogs. The smaller one listened and went back, the pitbull kept on. I yelled, "come on, You need to come get your dog" The owner never came. with 80lbs of anakin beginning to take it's toll, I decided to retreat to my home, still a mile away.

Yeah the pitbull kept following us. I put anakin down so I could rest and the pitbull lunged and attempted another bite. A block ahead were some people having a garage sale that provided me with a bat. I basically made it home walking backwards and swinging to keep him away. the pitbull followed me to my own door. It was not until my son asked me what happened to my hand that i realized I was bleeding.

I know ruff ruff story, breh. :p

What do I do? should I go back and confront the owner?

How do you guys prevent this type of thing from happening, should I start walking with my cane again and use it as a weapon?

Statistically, I've been walking anakin for 5 years with only 1 incident a chihuahua, which my sister ended up adopting .

I run into strays all the time but they just stare like dogs in a sarah mclachlan commercial and move on.

I miss living in the medical center where everyone owned a tiny dog. first world problems:p

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would call animal control and let them take care of it.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You could always shoot the dog. It'll probably end up being put down since it's vicious, anyway. But legally, yeah, call animal control to let them handle it.

Poor dogs, though, for having terrible owners.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Tell your dog to toughen up.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Dogs are pretty vicious. They seem to always pick on smaller dogs. They are kind of like little kids.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Animal Control and OC Spray (for the owner too)

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It bit a person, is an aggressive breed (in the eyes of the public), is off its leash in the neighborhood, multiple witnesses (from the yard sale) can attest that it was loose and aggressively stalking someone, and an 80-lb dog isn't small by any means.

I'd be surprised if that dog isn't taken away by animal control, and likely put down.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The advice given here seems like a slap in the wrist to the owner. I would confront that ****ing b**** ass owner and call the cops. Animal control would give them alot of leash sometimes.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That is NOT cool. What if they killed someone else's dog in the future, or hurt someone really bad?

If you see something that has the potential to cause harm in the future, I think you should do something about it. Don't let someone go through what dtduong went through...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=240955

10. RCPM

RCPM Member

When I walk my dogs, I ALWAYS carry. If that happened to me, there would be one dead pitt, and maybe one dead pitt owner.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah get animal control out there at the very least.

12. conquistador#11

thanks for the replies. I did call animal control to report the bite.

I feel bad for not thanking the good samaritan for coming to my aid. I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

dtduong's thread came to mind, some threads just stick with you. yet you never think it will be happening to you.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's pretty shocking behavior to stalk you. I'd do something.

FYI: I always like to pass this tip from my vet. If a pit locks on another dog there is a simple and sure fire way to get it off. Put it in a half Nelson with one arm and pinch it's Adam's apple as hard as you can.

Apparently it is very painful. And be ready to push it away. I've done multiple time; used to live in the heights around a lot of strays. They never came at me like they were dazed a little or scared

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

As a negligent dog owner I suggest you do nothing.

1 person likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We call animal control to step sweep strays whenever it gets bad. When it's bad you can hear dogs being attacked in the middle of the night. I own a pit so i have to deal with all the garbage bad, neglectful, ignorant put owner's consequences.

I wish someone went back in time and made Chihuahuas the quintessential macho, hood mascot.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Do you know why the owner didn't go get their dog? Elderly? If they just seemed lazy, then i'd definitely make sure to note that, but definitely report the dog.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Serious question. Once you had a bat, why didn't you warm the dogs head up with it?

18. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Why didn't anyone call the police?

19. Moleb

Moleb Member

Call cops, take pictures of dogs and owners. That could have been a little kid that would have lost their life if the circumstances had been different. I'm sorry to hear that happened, but if possible build up a case to have the owners ticked or have his dogs put to sleep. Negligent owner will only do it again, and next time there could be an animal or human loss of life.

20. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

The dog followed you for a mile? That's crazy. And I'm sure terrifying.

I feel bad for that dog if the owner didn't come chasing after it especially when out of sight.