1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] Management Skills

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yuantian, Jan 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

I was just given the chance to lead others. Without any prior training or experience of managing other people, this is really frustrating to me. I find that it's really hard to be fair to everyone and have to be professional all the time. I want to try to avoid pissing people off but at same time, things need to get done on time.

Anyone else in or was in similar position before? How did you learn not to care too much or get on top of things. Any advice is appreciated. :) It would help me and my team members. :grin:

#1 yuantian, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. University Blue

Don't micromanage and trust your team to be professionals.

If that doesn't work, a subtle mention of upcoming RIFs in the company should shape up your team.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm a team lead, but I'm not a manager. It's my job to set goals, dole out tasks and help your underlings get their **** done. It's not my job to punish or force/do their work for them. As mentioned, micromanagement for many people doesn't work in the long run.

If they can't cut it, defer to the guy above you who can do something about it.

Before that happens you can find different ways to motivate. Send weekly reports to your manager with different performance stats and cc your underlings in the email.

Form a daily 10 minute meeting where you get everyone on target with what they're doing.

Not sure if any of this fits your profession, but managing people is a continual process. I admit I have so much more to learn.

4. yuantian

Cool. Good points. I will try not to micro manage. Hated it when I was just starting. Already dishing out tasks and having weekly meetings. I guess it's a learning process and it's going to take a while.

5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Take care of your people and they will take care of you. Crap on your people and they will ensure you're not in mgt very long.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

If you can stick to 10 minutes and what you're doing is relevant to everyone, this may be a good idea. Every time I have been involved in these daily "10 minute" meetings though they have gone WAY (45+ minutes) long and for me (the underling) have been a complete waste of time.

7. dback816

dback816 Member

But you're the boss!

8. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Yep, that's because there is always a idiot in the group that tries to turn a 10 min stat meeting into a 2 hr tech discussion.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Are you managing a bunch of high level, educated professionals or a bunch of minimum wage teenagers?

Management style changes depending on this.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

one word:

fear

11. yuantian

i think they find me easy to talk to since i was just like them before. maybe trying to take advantage of that. i guess we'll see how this goes. going to act a bit tougher.

12. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

What is the size of your team?

13. yuantian

half a dozen with the workload enough for a dozen.

14. jlwee

jlwee Member

In a real world situation you cannot please everyone. Somebody will be pissed no matter what you do.
    So identify those who are have the right knowledge and attitude to do the job, and work more closely with them. Of cause in the end of the day you need to reward them. In a team there are always those lazy and rebelious type, you may warn them to improve themselves or open and close one eye on them but in the end of the day, don't reward them like no incentives or promotions for them as a punishment.