1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] Making a Life Change

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SirCharlesFan, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

I've skimmed through this thread but from what I saw some good advice.

If you're worried about the stress of making tough decisions in your profession I can tell you it doesn't get any easier. I'm not a lawyer but I have to make tough decisions all the time that may costs my clients lots of money. I get stressed about them and I've been doing this for more than ten years.

Life though is all about making tough decisions and it does you no good to avoid them because you are afraid. Sometimes you have to trust your training and your gut and make the best decision you can and live with it.

Are you going to regret things? Probably so. I'm in my late 30's and full of regrets but when I was in my early 20's I had regrets too. You can't worry about having future regrets though because we can never see the future. The one good thing you have really going for you is that you are still young and have time to try things and come back and correct your mistakes.

When I was 23 I felt probably more clueless than you do. I made a big life changing decision and almost on a lark moved from California to Boston where I spent a year living off of ramen. Looking back it was a bad decision but I didn't know that and going through that experience probably made me a better person. Whether it was good or bad it happened and its another part of my life.

Even now though at 37 I still think about making big changes all the time. Like should I move to another state or even other country. So its not like if you make one choice about life and things will suddenly be fixed in place.
    There is only one constant in life which is that everything changes.

The most advice I can give you now is getting your law degree will likely prove to be a good thing but that said if you're not happy it might not hurt to take some time, six months or a year off and see how you feel. I took two years off between undergrad and grad school and when I came to grad school I was very focussed in it. I doubt I would've felt that way without that break.

What ever you choose to do though good luck!

2. Poloshirtbandit

Wow, that's what I'm afraid of happening to me. :(

3. FJY

FJY Member

While you're still in school, get as much student loans as you can, and play some poker online.