1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Advice] I need to buy a new car tomorrow

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by redefined, Jan 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

That's a lot of miles for 3 years.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Get a mildly-used Honda Civic and use the excess cash for something worthwhile.

3. s2kboy16

s2kboy16 Member

Audi...you pick which model you want...they are all badass...just picked up a Q5 few months back. when its time to upgrade from the s2k im pretty sure im going with a audi. Interiors are best of class. And now they are outperforming the competition. Audi S-Line package and you're all set. It is that easy. BTW...LEXUS (overpriced Toyota) and Infiniti (overpriced Nissan) are played out and crap in comparison. Go European for the class and luxury.

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Yes, parenting fail because they forced me to go to school which led to nice job which ultimately allows me to pay for my own sh**. Thanks for looking out for my well being. Next on my agenda is to purchase a condo in The Mark. Oh wise one, please tell me that's an even bigger parenting fail!!! :rolleyes:

Anyways, I got a fully loaded black on black IS350. Whoever said the IS250 is a girl's car was right on. I tried to overpass a freaking Accord with the 250 on the feeder and I couldn't do it...I even floored it. Talk about a huge LOL moment. The 350 has more than enough power for my everyday driving needs. The handling/brakes aren't nearly as responsive to those of a BMW, but I'll gladly trade all that for a car that was built to last and has a beautiful interior with COMFORTABLE seats to boot.

5. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think the IS line looks pretty girly as well. If I was in your shoes, I'd get either a 3 series coupe or the G37 coupe/sedan. If brand recognition and handling is more important to you, then get the bimmer. If you care more about performance, then get the G37. Even though they're similar priced, you would get more bang for your buck with the G37. I personally got a 5-series just because I loved the looks and handling.

6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL...I totally missed the most obvious part where the OP bought the car already. My bad.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Can I bump this instead of starting a new car advice thread? This would be a radical shift here.

The Mrs. and I drive a 1998 Corolla, and it's been plucky, but it's starting to cost more $ to keep it road worthy and all sorts of little things (door handles, mirrors) are finally breaking down.

We are considering very low-end cars compared to what you all have been discussing, and it has to be SMALL due to both our garage and the realities of parking around San Francisco.

The Toyota Yaris
    and
    The Cooper Mini
    and maybe
    The Honda Fit

are our finalists for now. We just don't have the money, given the expensive as crap place we live, for more than that. And that includes no money for a hybrid.

Am leaning to Mini because you just get a much better outfitted car at the base price, and it seems like they retain their value much better than the Yaris. Honda Fit's mileage is surprisingly bad versus the top two.

Any thoughts or experiences with either the Yaris or the Mini? Don't make too much fun of me -- I know these aren't very manly cars. :(

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Honda Fit is the best of those cars and it has a radical shift.

The Mini is the coolest, but they have reliability issues and they're pricey.

Yaris... Pass.

9. B-Bob

srsly? Okay, thx. argh. bad bad mileage, and I don't know why.

10. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Listen to dave ramsey 950 am in the afternoons .. NEVER BUY A NEW CAR... the depreciation of it is so enormous that it is like throwing a $100 bill out the window every week for the first four years.. Buy a very slightly used car...

11. B-Bob

I hear you, but for these models, there is VERY little savings at all, unless I want to get a car up over 40k miles. Typically I would totally agree, but we seem to be talking about models that really hold their value (esp. the Honda and the Cooper in this case.)

Will keep exploring that option. Used cars have stung me in the past, which is part of my issue here as well.

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Stick with the Honda Fit.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've had Hondas for many, many years and you practically have to toss a hand grenade into one (pin pulled) to get one to stop running, no matter how you treat them. In my experience, anyway, going back to at least 1978. Having said that, I'd get the Mini in a San Francisco minute. You'll have a gas driving it, they're easy to park, and you'll smile whenever you look at the thing. Consumer Reports loves them, if I remember correctly. If a stick bothers you (lots of hills in SF, to say the least), they make an automatic now.

14. B-Bob

Thanks much Deckard, El-Pig-toe.

Test drove the mini today. I'm 6' 1" tall and it didn't feel *totally* comfy, but otherwise pretty nice ride. Mrs. B-Bob likes the style of course.

Honda Fits are all sold out in these parts so have to test drive those another day. The storage in the Fit is like 3x that in a mini.

Thanks again.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Shoulda got a loaded Suzuki Kazashi for about half the price. Has all the looks, bells and whistles as the others, and maybe even better reviews. Just not the brand recognition. But I guess if those are the types of cars you're looking at, you're going for something that has good brand recognition.

B-Bob, I know it's not a sexy choice, but look into the Suzuki Sx4 Crossover. It's base model is pretty well equipped, but in the price range, you might be able to afford to load it. I drive a 2010 SX4, and I love it. I had an 09 that I totaled, and so I got a 2010. It's a nice car. You could get one fully loaded for a tiny bit over 20K. That's with AWD. They are comparative to the Mini, only a little bigger, and I believe, more features. They get good reviews, and so far (the model was new in 2007) seem to have good reliability and trade-in. Plus they come with a great warranty, to boot. It's worth a test drive. I love mine.

#55 Two Sandwiches, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

How in the hell did he get that back? :eek:

17. kikimama

kikimama Member

Never saw a used car with ZERO mileage, thanks for playing.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Honda Clarity looks nice and it is a hybrid.

19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I have an 08 Honda Fit. Does well for me. The storage is great.

The newer ones are better, in my opinion. I think the EPA gas mileage is misleading, I've always gotten more on the 08 (even up to 40mpg sometimes).

I test drove a Yaris. Didn't like it.

As for the mini, aren't they quite a bit more pricey? Those cars don't even seem to be in the same class...

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Get a Ford Fiesta B-bob. The name sucks but they are nice little cars.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ip0r3kbKZmk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ip0r3kbKZmk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

You want to buy American, right? By American I mean North American because they are being built in Mexico.