1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] Half the company is being acquired

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sooty, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was part of at least 3 or 4 mergers. In the most recent one, they kept everything under wraps as to what was happening for about a year or so. In the meantime they had 2 or 3 layoffs to reduce the workforce. Which was probably a good thing because they had a couple hundred people doing the work of probably 50. I never could figure that out. Well, I could - most of the people were expendable. :D After the final layoff, they finally let everybody know the company was being bought (which we expected/guessed for months, but nobody could be certain). They bumped salaries up a ton trying to keep everybody on-board during the rest of the merger. Months before, they gave us a whopping bonus if we stayed for another 1-2 years, I think. This didn't include the yearly bonus which we also got. Needless to say the last 1-2 years were painful to be there, but joyous come Christmas-time and shortly after thanks to those pay increases and bonuses. lol

So this had been in the works for at least 2 years. During those 1-2 years, some people left saying the bonus and salary bumps weren't worth the uncertainty, but no matter what rumors were rampant which made the work environment "meh" and once they started merging the companies, it wasn't exactly better as there was resentment/suspicion in both companies. Our company lost a lot of the best people/workers during that period, but a lot remained, too - it all depended on the opportunities that presented themselves and personal situations. I decided to after the merger and after collecting on all the vesting periods of the bonuses. There was nothing left to stay for really other than the lower morale and the rampant cronyism, so I quit after that. They tried to keep me on by saying I could get another 10-15% salary bump, but I said money wasn't the problem and bid adieu.

All this to say again, everybody's situation is different, and everybody has what they want out of a job and life at a particular stage in their careers, and most of the opinions you get won't really take those into account. Also, I want to point out that I honestly think the government wants there to be a few more layoffs around the country to fix inflation and slow/cool the economy. Whether that happens anytime soon or not, I don't know, but keep that in mind when you make your choices, as well. Keep an eye and ear out for things happening around the workplace that may affect your job, too.

ATXNekko and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The new company needs you to help navigate what they just purchased.

You can leave, but it is likely you won't be able to return to the selling company for legal non compete reasons. In essence, you were part of what they bought.

Your choice is either stay, or go someplace new.

You are in a position of leverage with the new company, so you can probably negotiate a retention bonus.

Sooty likes this.
  4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Sorry, but this company deserved it.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Deserves got nothing to do with it

Buck Turgidson and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

mmhmm. I could give two ***** about my use of vernacular.

Always wild I respond to so many of you I don't care about.

Should be interesting that nobody cares about you or your personality.

#26 Roscoe Arbuckle, Sep 16, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

the answer is obviously yes

Sooty likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How is "****ing f*****" 'venacular'?

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Take the journey. See what happens. Nothing is certain in either direction except that you will get more money in one of the two options.

Sooty likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

Xerobull, Jontro and Blake like this.
  11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

you should put all your egg in two baskets.

Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.