1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice from an old fart

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, Nov 12, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oh I was bawling.

calurker likes this.
  2. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Most intriguing. I shall have to get one of these.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

(puts indoor pool on to-do list)

Jontro likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

Friend had a large indoor pool... you do not want one.

Jontro likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Translation- 'you dont have a big enough schlong to get an indoor pool' @Xerobull

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

it was like I was brushing a whale's teeth with a human toothbrush

Nook and KingCheetah like this.
  7. donkeypunch

[​IMG]

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

my 02 cents : if you buy a capacitor and your ac does't need it , and you need to jump start your car then ! you can engineer a jump starter based on the leftover capacitor here is what you need : a good lighting , a generator so you wont trip your home circuit breaker ,some soldering iron, schematic and PCB , a few transistors and conductor wont hurt either ..... you're welcome

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

My current house had a large soft sided hot tub in the master bath and it was sold ASAP -- I can't even wrap my head around keeping a large indoor pool (smelling) right. The hot tub was fun/ interesting for a little while I have to admit.

10. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Exiled likes this.
  11. donkeypunch

Damn.... McGyver over here with the all encompassing "Old fart advice" post.

Jontro, Exiled and KingCheetah like this.
  12. donkeypunch

Still didnt feel a thing.... And he wants an indoor pool....

13. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Nah.

14. KingCheetah

He doesn't want to go to the future.

TWS1986, B-Bob and CCity Zero like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have one, but have never had to use it. The other thing to do are make sure it's always fully-charged and you know how to use it (or the instructions are with it). Make sure it's got enough juice to actually start whatever you're driving.

An alternative or an add-on is to get a AAA membership or see if you already have or can get roadside assistance on your auto insurance.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, the juice rating on rechargable jumpers is my main concern. The other is me forgetting to recharge it while it's used for charging devices.

But the first point was a thing when they came out and probably addressed by now...

TWS1986 likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I just want to chime in and say: nothing could possibly go wrong with someone pursuing this based only on this list of components.

Invisible Fan and CCity Zero like this.
  18. Asian Sensation

I think I’ll heed your advice this time despite that one time....

[​IMG]

TWS1986, Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Is there an app that will let me pay an old man to do this for me?

VanityHalfBlack and TWS1986 like this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

@droxford

I definitely agree with this and really great advice!

The only thing I was going to add is to make sure you cut the power to the compressor/unit correctly and follow standard discharge for caps. It's pretty rare that they'd have power - especially if it was defective or the system discharged them properly - but if it was some other undiagnosed issue a new DIYer will want to learn some basic information and probably get a decent multimeter. Don't worry a multimeter will pay for itself.

Also, if anyone wants to take it a step further from here get a set of AC manifold gauges and as long as you have a newer compressor have some R-410A ready for the eventual small leak (wait to get it on sale or when it's actually needed)... it's better to have a band-aid and AC than no AC and waiting for someone to charge you (I am not saying to just keep dumping money on charges but if it's like a non-existent leak that takes a long long time you might as well go for it) - to get more out of it. - And if you want to go even further make sure the manifold has adapters for your car's R-134A ports too - and buy a few cans (on sale too, haha)... - the price of the gauges and the Freon (I still call it Freon regardless if it's r12/22/134/410 etc etc etc), will be worth it. Hell you can charge up all your cars and your family's cars etc. I definitely recommend understanding the general concepts though and what amount to add - don't add blindly or you'll have a bad time, or.... if you have a total leak understand you need to fix the leak/pull a vacuum etc before adding (I have simplified this).

Anyway - for anyone learning a new skill don't rely on just YouTube, don't get me wrong YT and sites are great but I have seen some crazy advice and you don't want that starting out if it's something you have no experience with. What I am trying to say is find some official service manuals and read various sources to compensate learning and filling in gaps for when YT is not detailing enough information. Especially when it's a new skill you're learning for the 1st time - use multiple sources.

TWS1986 likes this.