1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ADVICE] buying my first home...i think

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by steveng125, Mar 6, 2018.

1. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I hope you're getting some kind of income from your SF property through rentals. Otherwise, you're paying TWO mortgages??? Why??

2. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I moved to DC kind of in a rush, and re-bought all furniture, stuff, etc. So, all my stuff is still at the house in SF... I've been paying two mortgages for about a year now. It's not easy to clean out a house!

3. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

You're really getting screwed with the new tax laws regarding mortgage interest and property tax deductions capped at 10k.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Isn't it very easy to sell in SF?

5. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I have a lot of equity in the house there, and owe only about $150K for a home worth over a million. And, my mortgage there is only $1200 per month, which is almost impossible to find nowadays in SF. So, my intention was to hold it as long as possible...

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Or just rent it out. That's one of my relative did. Rent out three bed room for 2-3k each.

watashi315 likes this.
  7. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Unless you rent it out, paying $1200 on a $150k loan, the amount of accrued interest over the remaining lifetime of the loan doesn't make much financial sense. The only thing that does make sense for holding on to it is if you see the marginal value of the house exceed the amount of the loan OR you plan to move back in the not too distant future.

If you don't see yourself moving back and you don't want to rent it, sell it for a profit. Use some of it pay down your current home, and invest the rest in a passive index fund where you'll likely see 9-10% growth rate in the next few years.