1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] Book recommendations.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by coma, Aug 18, 2003.

1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Agreed on most of these...Old Man, while being his only really awarded work, and probably the purest in terms of his ideals and stule, is inferior to Sun, IMO. Probably prefer Bell and even Arms as well. Bondage is great but so dreary,as is Razor's Edge, basically the same idea. Don't like Garp that much...I find that Irving is one of those authors that, once you've read one or two of his works, you get the gist of all of them, the same basic ideals...but he is great to see interviewed about other authors; he loves literature.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton is great stuff

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

The "surprise" ending is pretty irrelevant. It is Card's unique depiction of children and their interactions which makes the book so special.

Each of the sequels leaves something to be desired, but there are not many people out there who dislike the original.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Member

I was thinking about reading one of Irving's books based on your responses in this thread. If you only had time to read one which would you reccomend?

Also in regards to catch 22 one of my friends responded the same as you did. I read it this past summer and I couldnt put it down. I guess it clicked with my odd sense of humor. For me the toughest book I have read to get into was Condrad's Lord Jim.

#25 Kilgore Trout, Aug 18, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2003
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Two of my favorite science fiction novels of all time (if thats your thing) -- A Fire Upon the Deep and the sequel A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge

7. coma

coma Member

Wow. bbs.clutchcity.net to the rescue, again!

I'm going to get two or three books from these suggestions. I can always bury myself into classics from Twain, Steinbeck, etc.. Two never fail books for me are Count of Monte Cristo and Catcher In The Rye. I'm going to choose something with a political twist as well. While I was looking at reviews, I discovered that Jerry Seinfeld had a book out called, SeinLanguage. It's basically all of his standup pre-sitcom, and all the jokes we've heard before. I might check it out.

Anyway, thanks again guys.