1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] Auto Collision

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ketchupNmustard, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ketchupNmustard

Sup Clutchfans brethren? I was just in a collision driving my girlfriends fully insured Kia Amanti.

I was at a "T" intersection at a red light, when I turned left on green I was hit by a Ford claiming that their light was also green. I am pretty alright just bruises from the air bag, but I am just wondering what do y'all think the best way to approach this with the insurance companies.

The other party has already claimed a green light as have I, so I guess we're faulting each other. It's gonna be 3 people in their vehicle against me, so I'm already given the lesser hand.

I am absolutely sure my light was green, and I'm pretty sure the other party knew that as well. The driver (who is a mexican national) spoke in broken English to me that "You were ok, and I go" and those were the only words spoken between us.

For the Lazy:
    Driving G/fs car (fully insured)
    Hit by Ford at T intersection
    Both are faulting each other

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Any witnesses? Get a police report (good luck if you're in Harris County), and let the insurance adjusters sort it out. Check to see if your girlfriend has Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists protection in case the other party doesn't have insurance, and trade contact info with the other driver.

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

No way he was Mexican national who spoke broken english if he didn't flee the scene.

4. ketchupNmustard

Well all the witnesses left and we already filled out a police report and got the car at the collision center.

Just wondering what's the best way to go about it when the other party is at fault but claiming I was, and again there are no witnesses.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

how fast was the other car going?
    You got t-boned?

6. body slam

body slam Member

Are you on you girlfriends insurance?
    How does the insurance company handle this is he is not on the insurance?

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did you turn left on a green light, or green arrow?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

exactly...some intersections you need the green arrow (not a green). If that's the case, then you both had a green, and you are in the wrong. You do not have the right of way to turn left, just because you are at a green light.

sorry.

9. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Lol, something similar happened to me last week. I got t-boned, as the other person claimed her light was green but really she ran the red. No witnesses, so it's my word against her lying ass. Nothing I can do but let the insurances handle it from there.

To the OP, you might wanna see if there was a red light camera you could maybe have subpoena'd, but like someone said, good luck if you're in Harris county.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You turn left at a Green Light and you automatically think the on-coming traffic does not have a green light, too?

If there are no left-turn lanes, both sides always have green at the same time. And even if there is a left-turn lane, most those left-turn lights have Green and Green-Arrow....at such intersections, only Green-Arrows guarantee a red light from oncoming traffic.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Who doesn't know what a green arrow means versus a green light at an intersection?

Who doesn't want to wear the ribbon?

Who are you talking to? Are you talking to me? Is he talking to me?

I thought we were kind of talking to each other. Runs

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

dont really know how common it is...
    But since being back home, i have noticed that more intersections have non protected green lights(so folks making left turns have to yield to oncoming traffic)...In NJ...i haven't noticed protected green lights, so i was always cautious about making a left turn...Sadly i think that is what happened to the OP... misinterpreted the green light for a green arrow...

13. thisiscaketown

Depends on what side of the T-intersection OP was on. If OP was coming from the bottom of the T, then whether the green light was an arrow or not wouldn't matter.

Assuming OP's girlfriend's insurance covers OP and neither party can prove the fault of the other, then the insurance companies for both parties will have to pay up and their rates will go up.

14. updawg

updawg Member

My wife did this about a year or so ago. Turned left on a non protected green light. Unfortunately for us the cop at the scene watched the light cycles and concluded it was my wife's fault. She had just gone to Starbucks- freaking coffee spilled all over the car

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd also like clarity on whether it was a light or an arrow. Also, it might matter which car got hit in the side. They may tend to put more fault on the guy who plowed into the other guy if it's unclear who had right-of-way.

But, if you're white and he's Mexican, you probably also gain some benefit of the doubt there. Sad but true.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

Doesn't matter as long as he was a permissive user.

17. codell

codell Contributing Member

Need more details. What part of the T were you on? Was your light green for a while or had it just turned green when you started your town?

Was it a protected or non-protected green light for your turn?

18. ketchupNmustard

I was coming from the bottom of the T, stopped at a red light, watched the light turn green.

It was an unprotected green turn, I frequent this intersection and know both lights couldn't have been on, because there is no turn arrow.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure whay you mean by the other light could not have been on because there is no turn arrow. There are tons of intersections with an unprotected turn on green where both lights are green. It is quite possible that y'all both had a green light.

20. ketchupNmustard

Because I frequent the light and know how it works. Also I tried mentioning that "possibility" to the police and they dismissed it immediately.