1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] Another job thing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jontro, Oct 29, 2013.

?

Is this poll completely useless and irrelevant to this thread?

1. Yes, why did Jontro make this poll?

33.3%
  2. Yes, Jerry Lin is the best PG in the universe.

66.7%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

Greetings my good brehs... so I haven't been in my current company for long, not even a year. But it's getting pretty bad, I'm not even put in the position in which I applied/was hired for. Basically I applied for position A, but was put in position B by my boss, but I also have to help out with position A. So now I have 2 job desc. Some people in HR know about this and they're like "why? that's strange" but at the same time they seem OK with it when I told them.

Recently I just passed my probation and will get my contract extended for a few years. But what's upsetting is when my boss was filling out my assessment form, he basically just put "satisfactory" on most of my work, which is basically a C+. Personally I don't think it's fair that I get assessed for something that I didn't apply for and something totally new to me. I was promised that eventually I would be moved to position A entirely, but realistically it's not gonna happen. There's more, but this is the gist of it.

So now I'm pretty upset and feel like I've been duped. I'm gonna just start applying to other companies and leave my team in the middle of a busy project if possible to get back at them. However in the event that I do get an interview and they ask why I'm leaving my current company with less than a year of experience... what do I say? I know I can't talk shiz about current or past companies.

tl;dr version, my boss should get bent.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It's not that you can't talk uh shiz but you just have to do it in a constructive professional manner. Explain exactly why you are leaving if the question comes up in an interview, just as you did in your post, but I would refrain from bad mouthing the boss.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Tell them that Jerrylin MVP if Mick kale ego gets better .

Also, just say that the previous employer didn't have opportunities for advancement.

1 person likes this.
  4. thisiscaketown

Never ever burn bridges if you can help it, because that can really screw you up later on. The least you can do is to talk with your boss and ask nicely for an explanation and some suggestions on how to improve from the "Satisfactory" assessment you received.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Just bounce the hell outta there. With bosses like that there is no cure other than leaving. Think of a really good excuse. Example, I always wanted to work for your company since I was a little boy.

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WlclUwqDo3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

say this is the job i have been looking/waiting for. i am perfect for the job bevause... and then list your reasons. they dont care about why u are leaving as much as they do about u being a good fit for their position/company

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Explain the bait and switch as best as possible in the interviews. But don't paint it as willful deceit on your boss's part, more as a mismatch between your expectations, long-term goals, and what was initially communicated and posted against what "(you) guess the company's or managers needs were at the time of your hire."

1 person likes this.
  9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Give it more time. Handle and thrive in the adversity at your current job. Succeed and let it make you stronger. Wiser. Then use it all to your advantage later. A year from now it'll be easier to find a better job and likely one that is a step up and not lateral move.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

State Job, huh? Not "real world" job, right?

What's stopping you from talking shiz now? You're doing it already. You're being vindictive and you're negatively taking this challenge as a deception when you could just take it as a learning experience to get more skills and be well-versed in more abilities for your next (if no one finds out how much of a meanie you're being to this company) job.

You can also leave, but it doesn't matter that they are in the middle of a project or aren't. You find a better job, you take it... and although it's not kosher to do this, it's for your own good, you egotistical man, you. :cool:

short answer: stop whining

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Steal the stapler and burn the building down. Then collect compensation until you find a new job.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Getting satisfactory on your review is SOP. They do it so they don't have to give you that fat raise. It doesn't matter if you're an all-star worker.

The way I see it, you have three choices.

1. Keep doing what you're doing and be mad.

2. Moving up in a company is 10% talent, 90% politics. It's like this everywhere in life. Swallow your bitterness and start hob-knobbing with the goober smoochers.

-or-

3. Throw down the gauntlet. Find a new job, get an offer. If Job A is still superior, use that new job offer as leverage to get moved into Job A or you'll walk. If you walk in to that office and you know you can walk, it will show in your confidence. Be polite but firm.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Personally, I believe if someone is taking advantage of you, you shouldn't just "stop whining" and chalk it up as a learning experience. :rolleyes: That's no way to go through life.

Find a better job. Do what's best for YOU and to hell with everyone else. They obviously don't give a crap about you anyway.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

What if family is involved (i.e. they are taking advantage of you)? I am semi hijacking this thread.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did you have examples to show him as to why your work was more than satisfactory? Generally a performance review is a two way street.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You shouldn't allow anyone to take advantage of you. Especially family.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

For your assessments, Satisfactory is satisfactory. If you've been extraordinary, then it could be a slight, but you didn't say you were extraordinary. You think doing the normal expected work should get you something more than Satisfactory, but it shouldn't. For next time, put in your input on how you're performance over the next x months should be measured, and what should be considered satisfactory and what should be outstanding. Then, you'll have evidence come the next review to argue for a higher assessment based on objective metrics.

As for Job A vs Job B, the company will move you around to cover as necessary and maximize profits. It wasn't what you expected or wanted, but that's where they need you. You can always complain, threaten, or quit, but no need to be offended. That's not useful. If it makes you that unhappy, I'd meet with the boss and say if you can't have Job A, you'll have to go elsewhere and get a concrete plan for when you can go to Job A. If he says no, thank him for his honesty and go look for another job. If he dodges the question, say ok and go look for another job.

You can tell another employer the same thing you told us (without the victimization and revenge stuff) -- they hired me for Job A but ended up needing me to do Job B, which wasn't what I wanted to be doing. Your interviewers will be able to identify with that predicament and wouldn't take offense. The only reason they tell you not to talk **** about past employers is because it makes you look irrational, ignorant, and unappreciative. So, as long as you demonstrate your clear-headedness, your understanding of the company's position, and your appreciation for what your company and your bosses were doing for you, you're allowed to be dissastified with the arrangement.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

He is " :rolleyes: " at my response. He didn't read my entire response and decided just to answer to my 'short answer.' He just wanted to show me up instead of responding only to Jontro. :eek: His "to hell with everyone else" reply just screams negativity and spreads a revengeful nature.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The 5 point scale during reviews is a BS system.
    1 - are you fired yet?
    2 - mediocre but someone likes you so you're still around
    3 - average to good job
    4 - above and beyond work
    5 - Godlike

If you know of distribution curves, just imagine the scale as a bell curve.

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Sorry to hear of your situation Brah! I am stunned, dazed, and confused! I can not fathom as to why someone like yourself, so full of awesomeness, would only receive "satisfactory" in anything that you do! This vile act can only mean one thing, that your place of domestic income is run by incompetent, ignorant people who couldn't smell the Munster cheese if you cut it yourself (pun intended)!

If your are financially able, detach yourself immediately (evacuate from Katy), or if you are unable to do so at the moment, then wash your hands frequently, since incompetence and ignorance can be highly contagious!

I hope you resolve your quandary as soon as possible, in the mean time we should hook up with SwoLy and go for some.....
    [​IMG]

#20 BamBam, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.