1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advertisers are dropping Twitter.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 22, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Probably got burned out from all the hours he was forced to bill in the 4th tier law firm that gave him a chance.

Would explain the extraordinary bitterness that seeps out of most of his posts.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think it comes down to this; Driven people do not sit around b****ing and moaning on messaging boards and social media. People who are not full throttle really do not understand this and find it very easy to criticize people who do.

We will see in 5 years. But this thread will be 6 feet under and a complete new narrative will be at the top of the heap. (Much like many of these same people who have crititicized and said Tesla and SpaceX would never be successful 10 years ago)

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, I meant the figurative "you" rather than you literally.

Also I'm fine with being wrong with Elon making his hiring targets. I doubt folks lining up will want to hear lectures about paying their dues. They just want exciting work and getting paid filthy for their dues.

4. raining threes

Almost everybody that works for Musk works that many hrs or more, from the Engineers to the Janitors. and they're well compensated for their time. If you dont want to do the time you cant work for Musk.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Version 0.2 of the color marks is about to be released. That might get some advertisers back. If not, v0.3, 0.4, 0.5…

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is false. I consider Elon Musk to be driven and motivated yet he also b****es and moans on social media. It might be narcissism that drives the social media addiction.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The irony of anyone posting in this section mocking people who b**** and moan on message boards lol.

b****ing and moaning about wokeness and liberals is still b****ing and moaning

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Tesla absolutely does not have good comp relative to the workload.
    SpaceX is closer to (FAANG) market average, but again if considering workload, not worth it from that perspective.

https://www.levels.fyi/companies/tesla/salaries/software-engineer
    https://www.levels.fyi/companies/spacex/salaries/software-engineer
    https://www.levels.fyi/companies/google/salaries/software-engineer
    https://www.levels.fyi/companies/facebook/salaries/software-engineer
    https://www.levels.fyi/companies/amazon/salaries/software-engineer

I have no problem with companies that exist where you are expected to be a workaholic in exchange for amazing compensation. Places like Jane Street and Citadel exist and fill that role.

https://www.levels.fyi/companies/jane-street/salaries/software-engineer
    https://www.levels.fyi/companies/citadel/salaries/software-engineer

I personally would have made that sacrifice earlier in my career, and I don't fault people for wanting to do that.

Tesla, SpaceX, and Apple are places where people go because they are either drawn to the mission / product or drawn to cults of personality figures like Jobs (formerly), and Elon.

I also have no problem with companies that exist where you are expected to be a workaholic in exchange for having people work on a vision or product that they think truly changes the world or works on hard problems that excites them. Places like Tesla and SpaceX fill that role.

Everyone has different motivations in their career.

#108 RedRedemption, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  9. raining threes

Agreed,

And those are the people that Musk will eventually fill Twitter with. If you don't want to work in that environment then it's best to start looking for a new job as soon as possible.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Agreed, as many people did, its a little fair for H1B that might have wanted to leave, but unfortunately they knew the risks this could happen at any company and it happens at companies smaller than Twitter every quarter.

Main point was just wanted to point out why people work at Tesla and SpaceX, and its not because of pay (relative to industry).

One funny sidenote about H1B: I've seen both liberal and conservatives in the industry bash H1B in the past because there was general sentiment that they drive down tech salaries. Now that this Twitter stuff happened both sides are capitalizing on H1B workers; liberals trying to going the "those poor H1B, Elon is so heartless" route and conservatives telling people that "immigrants know the meaning of hard work, glad Elon purged the woke non-H1B" yada yada yada.

#110 RedRedemption, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think the architecture profession would exist if people were only in It for compensation relative to work load.

RedRedemption likes this.
  12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That you're posting this in defense of Musk is really hilarious.

13. raining threes

How was that a defense of Musk.

It's a defense of wanting hard workers.

14. Space Ghost

Too late for the bird app. Just gonna have to rebrand to X app

15. astros123

astros123 Member

I wonder why advertisers left Twitter in droves...... I wonder why lol

No Worries and Andre0087 like this.
  16. Space Ghost

17. astros123

astros123 Member

Apple and Disney are back at X? The only major one back is Netflix and they slashed their buy time by 70% lol.

I'm pretty sure on any other website if you created a username similar to the one I posted above you'd be instabanned. I'm not sure what double standards you're talking about

18. Space Ghost

advertising is down across the board.

you're moving the goalpost. Advertisers claim they do not want to advertise because they do not want their content next to any types of hate speech. Yet you can google that twitter handle (full url) and google does not censor it, however like X claims, they do not push adverts on that result.

So which is it? Advertisers are strong arming censorship or do they not want their context next to hate speech? You are clearly stating advertisers are strong arming censorship which is not what they are claiming. Like all authoritarians (like your viewpoint), the line is always pushed to ones convince and you eventually become the person you complain about. You are an authoritarian.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s an interesting argument to say that a private business doesn’t want to spend money where their name might be associated with something offensive as censorship and authoritarianism.

20. astros123

astros123 Member

Youre literally dying on the hill that this username isnt racist lol. This isnt "free speech"

Ottomaton likes this.