1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advertisers are dropping Twitter.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like an easy decision. Twitter is quickly degrading into uncool place to be with all of Musk's unforced errors since taking ownership. He also risks ruining Tesla's brand at the same time. Twitter's fall from relevance will be almost as big as Yahoo's but over a much shorter timeframe.

Advertisers are dropping Twitter. Musk can’t afford to lose any more.
    More than a third of Twitter’s top 100 clients have not advertised on the platform in the past two weeks, data shows

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/22/twitter-advertiser-exodus-musk/

More than a third of Twitter’s top 100 marketers have not advertised on the social media network in the past two weeks, a Washington Post analysis of marketing data found — an indication of the extent of skittishness among advertisers about billionaire Elon Musk’s control of the company.

Dozens of top Twitter advertisers, including 14 of the top 50, have stopped advertising in the few weeks since Musk’s chaotic acquisition of the social media company, according to The Post’s analysis of data from Pathmatics, which offers brand analysis on digital marketing trends.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I was hoping for another Twitter thread.

3. Xopher

Xopher Member

If people wanted to be on Parler, Truth Social, or 4chan; they would be on Parler, Truth Social, or 4chan. There is a reason those platforms don't make money. Advertisers don't spend money where people can spout whatever bullshit they want without repercussions. Because most sane people don't go to those sites. Therefore, no revenue for advertisers. Therefore, no ad revenue for the sites. It is a pretty simple concept.

dobro1229 likes this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When Meta crashes and burns, I too hope we give it this energy. And all the Zuckerberg fan boys can talk about how much of a genius he is because he is rich.

Invisible Fan and Andre0087 like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not surprising at all.
    At this rate it wouldn’t surprise me if Twitter goes into bankruptcy

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Most sane people don't give a **** about hyperpolitics nor do people care about twitter. Twitter is still a small platform relatively speaking. I only know a couple people who have a Twitter account compared to the vast majority having IG/Facebook/snap

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

what’s IG?

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I, perhaps naively, expect Twitter to stabilize and then the advertisers will come back.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nope. If he actually got rid of 5,000 people, operating cost goes way down.

Bandwagoner and Slyonebluejay like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This will happen.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

InstaGram

Amiga likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's weakness with ad spending now that election year over and crazy crypto spending has dried up. Goolge fell after earnings because YT posted lackluster growth.

The whole sales upheaval isn't doing them favors so I'm thinking Elon will need to brun ten or so billion to normalize whatever his mid term plans are for Twitter.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't react too quickly, advertisers are not "dropping off" like the article is stating. What is actually happening is they are pausing spending on the platform, and may very well resume. This is not an unusual thing for advertisers to do when facing uncertainty.

This is really an abundance of caution thing more than anything else. The last thing some ad manager or brand manager wants to deal with is negative feedback on their ads running next to radicalized content that may be allowed on twitter. It has the minisquel potential to blow up in their faces - so much so that teams that are responsible for protecting the brand image swing into action to finally show their value to the company and show their expertise. "Oh yeah, we got to pause Twitter until its safe to get back into the water" nevermind that no sharks have yet been spotted in what looks to be more like a swimming pool. "Whew, look at that potential disaster we avoided - We need a vacation and deserve a raise!"

I kid you not, this is how the world of advertising works

#13 Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  14. Amiga

Supporting Member

15. Amiga

Supporting Member

Advertisers: shall we or shall we not?
    [​IMG]

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The internet was a mistake. ☠️

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#FireSilas

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except if among those 5,000 there were people necessary to maintain the smooth functioning of Twitter. Cutting staff isn’t always a good thing.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Working just fine so far

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That’s certainly possible and I don’t claim expertise in advertising or know for sure what is going on inside Twitter. That said negative publicity, chaotic management, and alienating your workforce isn’t a good way to run a business. Any business.

dobro1229 likes this.