1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AdultSwim to be own network(technically), plus news on future and returning shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Well, the news I'm most happy about is that Venture Brothers was picked up. I've been trying to get people here to watch but I don't think I've turned anybody on to the show.
    This clip is for Bowie fans.
    Scared Straight, super villain style.

I'm also glad to see a Boondocks cartoon will be coming out.
    [​IMG]

Other promising shows are Stroker & Hoop, Minori-Team, and Squidbillies (actually, I think these hillbilly squids would work better as Aqua Teen villains).

Adult Swim Announces Venture Bros. Season 2 & More!
    More Aqua Teen & 5 new series on sched.

March 24, 2005 - Just when you thought it was safe to watch cartoons after 10PM, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim has announced a number of series that will appear on its fall schedule.

No longer just a programming block as far as television executives are concerned, Adult Swim is about to be promoted to full network status by the Nielsen Corporation, the company that supplies ratings and viewer information to the broadcasting industry. With its ratings removed from the rest of the Cartoon Network numbers, executives and advertisers will get a better idea of how the shows are doing in relation to other AS series instead of trying to compare Aqua Teen ratings to Powerpuff Girls.

At the Adult Swim upfronts today, the "network" announced a number of new shows and the long awaited return of some others. The most anticipated and welcome announcement was one that finally put to rest any questions about the future of the popular freshman series, The Venture Bros. The series will indeed be back for 13 more episodes, to begin airing in early 2006. The delay is due to the fact that, unlike many Adult Swim programs, Venture is animated using traditional animation techniques instead of the computer based animation used on series like Aqua Teen and Sealab 2021.

Also returning will be the ratings black hole, Tom Goes to the Mayor. Not only tanking in the ratings every night it was on but taking everything else on the schedule along with it, Tom will be returning to the schedule with 8 new episodes on April 17th. Mr. Show's Bob Odenkirk serves as executive producer, which makes you wonder why it isn't any funnier than it is.

Another series that Adult Swim helped bring back from extinction, the FOX Network castoff Family Guy, finally returns with new episodes in June. FOX will air the new episodes in prime time with Adult Swim running the same episode later the same week during late night. Just before the Griffins crank up the new episodes, FOX's new series from Family Guy creator Seth McFarlane will hit both networks in May. American Dad premiered after this year's NFL Superbowl to great numbers that carried over to the broadcast on Adult Swim.

On the pilots list, IGNFF readers may recognize Lucy: Daughter of the Devil from Loren Bouchard, producer of Home Movies and Dr. Katz:
    Professional Therapist. An audio clip ran here last year and got some great reactions from readers. Produced in CGI, Lucy is a young girl who
    just moved to San Francisco. Her father, who happens to be Satan, is understandably concerned, particularly after she starts dating a guy named Jesus (pronounced in the Spanish manner). Lucy will premiere in October, 2005.

Also in October is Saul of the Mole People – Saul is an American explorer who proudly plants his flag deep inside the Earth's core. While there,
    he encounters the Mole People, who do not understand his ways. Created by Craig Lewis, who has written for such Cartoon Network original series as Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, the show departs from the established Adult Swim norm by featuring live actors and costumed characters in a style reminiscent of series like Land of the Lost and The Banana Splits.

Rounding out the October Adult Swim Pilot-O-Rama is Minori-Team, a series that centers on a team of superheroes, composed exclusively of members of minority groups, who join forces to fight against discrimination. Jewcano, Fasto, Dr. Wang, El Jeffe and Quickstop (why do I have a feeling I know which minority "Quickstop" is?) use the power of racial stereotypes to right societal wrongs, one slur at a time. Created by Alex de la Pena, Todd Peters and Peter Gerardi.

Adult Swim will also have a number of new series on the schedule, including a new series based on the long running comic strip, Boondocks. Based on the comic strip from series executive producer Aaron McGruder, Boondocks will premiere in October. Cartoon Network has ordered 15 half-hour episodes of the series, and, according to the Adult Swim PR department, is a provocative family-based comedy brimming with social relevance and satire. When Robert "Granddad" Freeman becomes legal guardian of his rambunctious grandkids, he moves from the south side of Chicago to the quiet and safety of The Boondocks (in this case, suburban Woodcrest), hoping that he can ignore them altogether and enjoy the fourth quarter of his life in peace. But Huey, a 10-year-old left-wing revolutionary, is determined not to enjoy the affluence of suburbia. This attitude is seconded by his 8-year-old brother, Riley, a proud product of contemporary rap culture who lives only to spread chaos and mayhem. Although they torture each other and provoke the neighborhood, they are no match for Granddad, who is eccentric even by "crazy-ass-old-black-man" standards.

Also new this year:

Stroker & Hoop: This new Williams St. series from creators Casper Kelly and Jeff Olsen will premiere in September. Stroker & Hoop makes its series debut with six new episodes following the misadventures of John Stroker, a private eye still mastering the art of lock-picking, car hood-sliding and keeping his gun from falling out of his waistband when he bends over at the grocery store. Together with his partner Hoop, a self-proclaimed master of disguise, and his disobedient talking hatchback named CARR, Stroker is willing to help anyone dumb enough to respond to his 1/8-page ad in the yellow pages. An additional six new episodes of Stroker & Hoop will air in November.

Squidbillies: Adult Swim viewers may remember this series, from Aqua Teen Hunger Force co-creator Dave Willis and The Brak Show co-creator Jim Fortier, that was joked about and supposed to premiere last year. A fairly negative response almost everywhere for the initial concept art and clips didn't help get it on the schedule any quicker but the network swears it will premiere in September. In Squidbillies, a family of cephalopods stranded in the North Georgia mountains raise hell and anger local officials. Six episodes will air in 2005. Or not. Pretend to be surprised if they never show up.

12oz Mouse: Fond of beer and caught in a world of espionage and love, 12oz Mouse unknowingly delights in odd jobs. Six episodes have been ordered. The series, from Aqua Teen Hunger Force co-creator Matt Maiellaro, will premiere in September.

Perfect Hair Forever: The same viewers who remember when Squidbillies was supposed to premiere will remember this show as the one that took its place, assumedly as a joke. Guess the joke was on us, kids; it's a real show. Williams Street, the people who bring us Sealab and Space Ghost C2C, chronicle the adventures of a young, bald boy in a mystical land as he seeks perfect hair. Six episodes are currently in production. Perfect Hair Forever will premiere in September.

Here's the list from Adult Swim for quick reference:

Returning Shows:

Family Guy: Returns in June
    Venture Bros.: Returns in early 2006 with 13 episodes
    Tom Goes to the Mayor: Returns April 17th with 8 new episodes
    Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law: New season starts July 24th
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force: New season begins in December, 2005 that will bring the series to 75 episodes

New Series:

Boondocks: Premieres in October; 15 episodes ordered
    American Dad: Premieres in May; first run on FOX with repeats on Adult Swim
    Stroker & Hoop: Premieres November; 6 new episodes
    Squidbillies: 6 episodes sometime in 2005. Maybe.
    12oz Mouse: Premieres September; 6 episodes
    Perfect Hair Forever: Premieres September; 6 episodes

Pilots - All currently scheduled to premiere in October:

Lucy: Daughter of the Devil
    Moral Orel: Stop motion series from Dino Stamotopolis, a writer on Mr. Show and TV Funhouse.
    Saul of the Mole People: Live action series
    Minori-Team
    link

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

YES!!!!! More Family Guy for me!

I wish they can bring back "Case Closed" as well.

3. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

On a related topic ...

Anybody else hooked on Aqua Team Hunger Force? The episodes last for less than 20 minutes and rarely have a conclusion, but somehow those detective fast food items keep me laughing the entire time. I am currently renting the previous seasons using Netflix, and I cannot get enough!

4. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

I used to like the show with " Brak". I havnt seen it recently. Is it still on?

[​IMG]

5. Oski2005

Brak was cancelled, but the first volume is out on DVD.

I love Aqua Teen as well. The Squidbillies are made by the same guys. You've gotta see these things, they're not really squids, they look kind of like Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, except they have 8 tenticles. Oh, and they are rednecks.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Great to have Adult Swim on it's own channel but doesn't this basically spells out trouble for Cartoon Network? Aside from Justice League, what other cartoon draws do they have?

7. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

The only Adult Swim program I have watched is Family Guy. Since they are forming their own network, I assume that the programming is good. I should watch more.

BTW: Is the Burly Bear Network still around?

8. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

So does the forming of their own network mean like what they do with " Nick at Night" and "Nickelodeon" ? Or will they have their own channel?

9. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Also returning will be the ratings black hole, Tom Goes to the Mayor. Not only tanking in the ratings every night it was on but taking everything else on the schedule along with it, Tom will be returning to the schedule with 8 new episodes on April 17th. Mr. Show's Bob Odenkirk serves as executive producer, which makes you wonder why it isn't any funnier than it is.

I must be the only one that watches Tom Goes to the Mayor. I think it's the funniest of all the AS shows. Of course, my sense of humor is pretty warped.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Tom Goes to the Mayor is hilarious as well as ATHF, adult swim is sweet, I remember catching Tom Goes to the Mayor for the first time didnt know what it was about but it had Jack Black doing a voice and they had these bear traps setup and you see all these people getting caught in them while the bears are manuvering around them, I couldnt stop laughing

11. Oski2005

It'll be like Nick at Night and Nickelodeon.

12. lpbman

lpbman Member

great news, but what of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, The Oblongs, Home Movies, and Space Ghost C2C:(

ps Am I too late for the "Jail Bait Watch - When will they turn 18?" thread? Mandy is H.O.T.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Count me among the fans of Tom Goes to the Mayor.

"Would you like some spaheeeeteee?"

14. Oski2005

Are you from Canada? Grim Adventures isn't an adult swim show, but I've heard it is over in Canada. I wonder if that means the version we have here is edited. Home Movies was cancelled :(, Oblongs was a WB show that was cancelled. It's been on Adult Swin in syndication, like Futurama. Space Ghost is in limbo I think. Nobody knows if it's cancelled or not.

TGTTM is ok, it has it's excellent moments though. Jack Black and Kyle as rival bear trap makers in that first ep was epic. When they call eachother and try to make it sound like the Mayor's huge order was no big deal, but they're happy that the other finally got some work. Rats off to ya! LMAO, I was just thinking about the WWII restaurant ep when Tom wakes up and the Mayor explains how he fed him with cat food and moved his mouth for him while he was unconscious in the dumpster, hilarious.

15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

A lot of the AS shows are hit or miss to me. Either you'll run into an episode of non-stop hilarity or something that's utterly stupid that's not even funny.

Personally Home Movies was my favorite AS original series, followed by ATHF, and then Sealab.

I'd count Family Guy and Futurama at the top of the list but they were first on FOX so I don't.

TGTTM seems too dumb for me. Even on the bad animation level like ATHF or Sealab, TGTTM is like toddler doodles crap, and the humor isn't even good when stoned.

16. lpbman

lpbman Member

nope not from Canada and I know it's not Adult Swim, but I wanted to know what was going on with it and the others
    lol thanks for all the info Oski

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I watched Venture Bros a while ago, and It was pretty funny. I wouldn't mind watching regularly.

18. glcpimp

glcpimp Member

Man I wish they would bring back Futurama. It's really well written and never had a fair chance from Fox.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Good news to hear AS is getting its own "channel." My favorites though would be FG and Futurama, and they aren't technically AS series. But ATHF and Venture Bros looked good the few times I watched...as well as Harvey Birdman.

And I wish Futurama would be brought back too...but it won't...cause it's too expensive to produce.

20. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Venture Bros. is f**king awesome.