1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adrian Peterson, what would've been?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Truth, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Truth

Truth Member

Earlier this year there were reports of the nation's top recruit Adrian Peterson considering an unprecedented jump from HS to the NFL during the Clarrett ruling. After seeing Peterson's dominance in the collegiate ranks, how do you think he couldve transitioned to the Gridiron? Personally, I think he's VERY comparable to Chris Brown (Titans) except much more elusive and harder to bring down. He wouldve been a decent player his first year, and progressed tremendously shortly thereafter into a superstar. What do you all think?

2. mduke

mduke Member

I can only wish he was the starter for the Cowboys....:(

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

High School Conditioning to NFL Conditioning.

Case Closed.

4. Truth

Truth Member

You know the team he wouldve been drafted by, would NOT make him the feature back. I will estimate and say they would give him 10-12 carries per game, so conditioning wouldnt be that big of a factor. He would get the proper conditioning throughout the course of the year, then be much more prepared in his second year.

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

Peterson is good, no doubt about it. But if the defense doesn't tackle correctly, well, anyone would look better than they usually do.

How many times did Texas try to tackle him with a shoulder or an arm. WRAP 'EM UP HORNS!!

6. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Talk about a Man Child.

I just wish he would have stayed in state. I hate losing local players to out of state foes.

7. JamesC

JamesC Member

Peterson has remarkable God given skills, but he would've gotten SMASHED in the NFL. No NFL defense is gonna let somebody straight from high school run over them. That said, I think he'll be a top 5 pick when he comes out. He reminds me of Tomlinson with his balance of power, speed and acceleration.

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I think anyone who grew up in Texas and goes to OU is weak in the head.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think theyre smart for not playing at UT.

I would have love to seen him at UT or any other Texas School though.

10. dirtyfithynasty

How so??? As a kid from Texas now going to OU, please give me two good reasons why a football player would rather go to Texas than OU.

Texas has lost to OU for five straight years.
    Texas goes to the Holiday Bowl every year while OU goes to BCS bowls
    Texas does not win championships while OU does.
    OU is a championship contender every year while Texas hasn't been a contender for the last decade.
    OU players win trophies, while Texas players win nothing

To me, any football player that chooses to play for a second rate team instead of a national championship contender is weak in the head.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The women and the city make UT more appealing.

In terms of getting national exposure, getting drafted, etc it doesn't really matter if go to UT or OU. Unless of course there is some actual truth to Peterson's remarks about how UT doesn't develop their talent, etc.

In terms of everything *but* winning the rivalry game recently, UT wins out over Oklahoma.

Even as an avid anti-horn I have no qualms about saying this.

12. dirtyfithynasty

Yes, I am sure that is what Peterson was thinking

OU
    national championship contenders year in and year out
    best team in big 12
    better chance at heisman
    get to contribute instantly
    great coaching staff
    great football history
    high NFL draft picks

Texas
    somewhat appealing women

man, I am sure that was a hard one for him. It really says something about your team when the football programs best argument to entice prospects does not have anything to do with the football team

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Sigh. Even if you're being sarcastic, you still completely missed the point. Read my post again and tell me where, exactly, did I say, imply, or even HINT that this is what Peterson was thinking.

Once again, even as an avid anti-UT person (I was rooting for OU, even) this list is pretty bunk. How is Texas not in the hunt for national championship year in and year out? I'd say there are about 10-15 teams each year that are "in the hunt" and usually it's just one win that costs them. UT being one of those schools.

Better chance at the Heisman? How? It's an individual award. Cedric Benson could very well end up WINNING the Heisman despite a crap performance @ OU. Completely immaterial argument.

Get to contribute instantly? How so? Maybe for Peterson. That is also something that is completely subjective.

Great coaching staff I will give you. That is probably why Peterson went to OU, as I stated.

History is also a moot point. Pretty sure UT and OU share a great deal of prestige. If you're only looking at recent history then the obvious edge goes to OU.

High NFL draft picks is not something exclusive to OU over UT.

And yeah, the women of UT are hotter.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

because it's freaking oklahoma dude! oklahoma!!!!

what makes you want to leave the wonderful state of Texas for possibly the crappiest state in the union - oklahoma. anyone that chooses to leave Texas for oklahoma shouldn't be allowed back in the state.

have fun w/ your 3.2% beer.

15. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

AP came to OU because burnt orange in a ridiculous ass color to play in.

Plus UT and Mack are losers, but mostly the color thing.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Is burnt orange so worse than whiny b**** menstration red?

17. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Like Chris Brown, he runs straight up.

He, and Brown, will get hurt. End of story.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Continue wishing... :p

19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

If we called it that, nope. But obviously we don't, so that was just a really bad attempt at an insult.

I've come to expect better from you guys. :)

20. Angle02

Angle02 Member

If you are talking about Peterson then you need to watch more OU games. I also guess you missed that 44 yd run to the outside in the beginning of the game also....assuming you are talking about Peterson.