1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Admin to Euros: Give them the Stick, then ask for a carrot...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Originally posted by SamFisher
    1. On behalf of all Iraqis, you're wrong. Since we've assumed de facto control over Iraq in every respect (financial, military, political), it absolutely is our debt at this point.

Nonsense. Have any references to support the assertion that we have now assumed this debt?

Why do you think the administration asked them to forgive it if it wasn't our problem? You're setting up false distinctions that make no difference in the real world.

There's no false distinction. :rolleyes:

It may be part our problem for know, but no matter how your try to word it, it's not our debt. If the debt were ours, the rate would plummet and we would no longer be discussing debt relief, would we?

The Iraqis need some breathing room, some time to get their economy up to speed. They have over $3 triilion in oil reserves, second only to Saudi Arabia. It is irrefutably in our interest for them to succeed economically ASAP.

2. Here's another false distinction, you think that when our NATO allies are deciding whether or not to havve NATO take over more of the burden in Afghanistan(which Powell just asked them for, just last week) that this episode won't affect their decision? Maybe if they were led by a bunch of Vulcan Robots it wouldn't...otherwise, I would venture a guess that it would.

Ignoring Shroeder's comments on debt relief entirely.

It's the same old song that the Bush Administration does for everything, it wants to have its cake and eat it too: Raise Taxes, increase spending; Invade Iraq, have somebody else pay for it; Treat allies shabbily, get them to help us anyway.

I don't care about how this administration fares. I defending our right to spend our money as we see fit. This adminsitration sucks.

It doesn't really matter if you only see things in black and white. When everybody else sees grey, you have to deal with it if you want to get anything done.

:rolleyes:

I see red when they want our money. You still have never responded as to why you feel so strongly that they should be entitled to bidding for our money. Non-responsive on more than 1 point.

2. Cohen

The 'soon' was in reference to when these countries might face retribution from an independent Iraq. It's not even a salient issue, whether these counrties might get locked-out of Iraqi contracts by Iraqis in 3 years or 6, so what?

I never used the word 'soon' in discussing contracts and debts, but FWIW, the contracts might be awarded 'soon' and debt payments might not resume for as much as 5 years.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Cohen, it's not our debt in the legal sense, I never argued that it was. However, since we're the trustee of Iraq's estate, so to speak, (as well as a donor thereto), it's our job to figure out hte best way to deal with it.

Look, even the Bush Administration concedes that we need help on the war on terror, iraq, etc. from our NATO allies Shortly after September 11, Le Monde , the leading French daily, ran a headline, stating something like "Nous Sommes Tous Americains", (We're all americans) . There's less than zero chance of that happening again. It's undeniable that incidents like these are one of the major reasons why.

I still, for the life of me, reading all your posts, cannot figure where you are coming from on this topic, so I am just going to call it a night in this area.

4. Cohen

I'll try to elaborate.

I'm not fond of this administration's consistent mishandling of foreign relations. I think it's idiotic to have statements like this coming out of the Pentagon. I'm not even that fond of this decision itself and it's ramifications, regardless of how or who sprung it on our allies.

But it ANNOYS THE H*LL OUT OF ME that these countries act like they are entitled to our $18 billion. Of course, France's response annoys me the most, then comes Russia. Germany's and Canada's reaction don't annoy me at all and they deserve to be included, IMO, but that would probably have been difficult to manipulate into the policy.

5. SamFisher

I hear you.

But I don't know if I'd characterize them as acting like they're entitled to it. I mean, after all, the French or German governments aren't competing for any contracts that I know of.

I don't see Russian firms as being competitive in any international business environment so I consider that one no big deal. This incident itself I don't think is that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

My biggest problem with the whole thing is that it is seemingly a microcosm of the way the Admin ahs conducted itself throughout the whole affair: Let Rummy/wofly/Perley/feith control the intelligence/plan/policy, consequences ensue, state/the president/us have egg on our face and have to clean up the mess (with us footing the bill). I just can't believe its still happening.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not allowing Russian companies to bid does significantly limit the competition and will probably hike the cost of the total operation up. There is a real possibility that the Russians who had previously held most of the contracts regarding Iraq's oil resources could have done it cheaper and easier than U.S. companies. They have done the leg work already, would be familiar with what exists in Iraq presently and how that was put together, which Iraqi companies are the best to use as subcontractors, which might not be, local customs, which routes and companies to use for transportation, and they might well have several established relationships with those businesses.

The fact that all of that information and more might go into their bid and squeeze out some of the American companies wouldn't be the best for those American companies, but it might be the best for the taxpayers, and the Iraqis who are there now.

7. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

When told yesterday that Mr. Schroeder believed Mr. Bush's contract decision might violate international law, the president responded with a sarcastic gibe: "International law? I better call my lawyer."

Even more interesting was to have seen it on the news.

At the mention of international law, Duby looked completely baffled and shocked . After an awkward pause when he realized a substantive response was beyond him, he then made the remark Woofer quoted.

It was somewhat embarassing as an American, but I must admit it gave me and my wife a sort of sick laugh.

9. SamFisher

Gerhard Schroder: Mister Mystery Guest? Are you still there?
    George W. Bush: Yeah, I'm still here. Unless you wanna open the front door for me.
    Gerhard Schroder: Uh, no I'm afraid not. But you have me at a loss. You know my name but who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshall Dillon?
    George W. Bush: Was always kinda' partial to Roy Rogers actually. I really dig those sequined shirts.
    Gerhard Schroder: Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mister Cowboy?
    George W. Bush: Yippee-ki-yay, motherf-cker!

10. Cohen