1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Admin to Euros: Give them the Stick, then ask for a carrot...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think these countries that contributed nothing should feel entitled to these contracts. If you don't want the fight the war, fine, but don't expect to benefit from the same war!

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And don't ask them to forgive debt owed to them. Do you think we should ask them to forgive Iraqi debt after not allowing them to bid on reconstruction?

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Two separate issues.

One is our money and how we will spend it.

The second is helping out a country that will soon be standing on its own 2 feet.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I could go either way on this one. But forgiving debt would not be for the benefit of the US, so I don't see how they are related.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Usually I admire your hard-nosed postings, but this strains credulity. We're there for years, we're the de facto government. It's our mess and it's not going to look pretty anytime "soon."

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Who do you think is going to be responsible for handling those payments in the near future.

7. Cohen

Originally posted by SamFisher
    Nothing means any money for us. Pretty much everything having to do with Iraq means less money for us. I really have no idea what you're talking about at all.

Really?

Then re-read above. You indicated that we wanted these countries to give US there money, which is untrue. You continued discussing it, until your sudden lapse in comprehension.

If you can't see the problem with crapping on somebody and then asking them for help the next day, which it sounds like you can, I don't see what you're arguing about or why.

:confused:

Explain, exactly, how we're crapping on anyone.

I can understand how they are pissed that it will be harder for them to get a piece of our $18 billion, but I cannot see why they would expect it. Can you? It certainly may have been more magnanimous of us to have allowed them to bid, but I like that we are rewarding leaders who went out on a limb for us.

And FWIW, again, if they elect to punish the Iraqis for it, they will probably pay the consequences down the road with them.

8. Cohen

Do you know the answer?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well, I'm sure its the country with a government over there, and that's not them.

10. Cohen

This administration has screwed-up a number of times. They screwed up letting the Pentagon do State's work on more than one occasion. Kristol and Kagan's approach would have been far more preferrable. The net results would have been almost the same, but with subtlety and w/o the public snub.

That said, it irritates me that these countries think that they are entitled to OUR money. We're not locking them out of the other $13 billion, we're not even keeping them from benefitting as sub-contractors on our $18 billion. What do you find so incredulous? That we handled international politics poorly, again, or that these other countries have to work harder to get some of our money?

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Actually Cohen, we have solicited them for donations several times, and in fact many of them are contributing money (example, Canada pledged 190m, and was infuriated when they showed up on Wolfowitz's blacklist.)

But even aside from that, Do you need me to explain that there is no real economic difference between forgiving a debt and asking for a handout? There isn't.

Hey France and Germany, you and all your home-based MNC's can't play in our sandbox, Hey France and Germany, will you and all your home-based MNC's forgive all that money our sandbox owes you?

Don't ask me, ask the President. He was the one who was pissed off about it. Or Bill Kristol. You really think it's not insulting for Canada to be labeled a security risk by Wolfy?

Besides, I'm sure if you asked Sodhexo, S.A. or various other European contractors, they would have been in favor of any and all wars as long as profit was in it for them.

Nope, they won't elect to punish Iraqis, they'll elect to punish us: Fewer NATO soldiers in Afghanistan (Germany has lost a lot of guys over there for you and me), less cooperation in breaking up European terror cells, etc. But hey, you can't fight the deputy undersecretary of defense I guess, he's the will of the people.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is this a Quote from
    CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER?

Rocket River

13. Cohen

You're sure?

When are these payments scheduled to begin?

14. rimrocker

That you think Iraq will be standing on it's own two feet soon.

15. Cohen

Originally posted by SamFisher
    Actually Cohen, we have solicited them for donations several times, and in fact many of them are contributing money (example, Canada pledged 190m, and was infuriated when they showed up on Wolfowitz's blacklist.)

But even aside from that, Do you need me to explain that there is no real economic difference between forgiving a debt and asking for a handout? There isn't.

All on behalf of the Iraqis. It's not our debt. It's not our country being rebuilt.

Don't ask me, ask the President. He was the one who was pissed off about it.

Do you not read responses?

The White House approved this policy. They were pissed about the most idiotic way it was released for consumption.

Nope, they won't elect to punish Iraqis, they'll elect to punish us: Fewer NATO soldiers in Afghanistan (Germany has lost a lot of guys over there for you and me), less cooperation in breaking up European terror cells, etc. But hey, you can't fight the deputy undersecretary of defense I guess, he's the will of the people.

Those terror cells don't just target the US.

Germany has already stated that Iraqi debt relief and these contracts are two separate and distinct issues. Why would that differ WRT Afghanistan?

16. Cohen

When talking about nations, 'soon' doesn't mean a year, and maybe not even two to me. What's it mean to you?

17. SamFisher

1. On behalf of all Iraqis, you're wrong. Since we've assumed de facto control over Iraq in every respect (financial, military, political), it absolutely is our debt at this point. Why do you think the administration asked them to forgive it if it wasn't our problem? You're setting up false distinctions that make no difference in the real world.

2. Here's another false distinction, you think that when our NATO allies are deciding whether or not to havve NATO take over more of the burden in Afghanistan(which Powell just asked them for, just last week) that this episode won't affect their decision? Maybe if they were led by a bunch of Vulcan Robots it wouldn't...otherwise, I would venture a guess that it would.

It's the same old song that the Bush Administration does for everything, it wants to have its cake and eat it too: Raise Taxes, increase spending; Invade Iraq, have somebody else pay for it; Treat allies shabbily, get them to help us anyway.

It doesn't really matter if you only see things in black and white. When everybody else sees grey, you have to deal with it if you want to get anything done.

18. SamFisher

EDIT ending tirade should read: "cut taxes, increase spending"

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Looks like George isn't as sold on this move as Cohen and Basso:

20. rimrocker

In this instance I thought we were discussing contracts and debt forgiveness. Contracts will be awarded soon and Baker is on a mission to work on the debt issue. I don't think we were talking about or even considering time frames beyond a few years. Now, if you want to go all Holy Roman Empire on me, that's a different set of time frams and not what the thread was about.