1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ADHD medication (Adderall) help.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jcee15, Aug 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

So it turns out I'm probably not bipolar just an undiagnosed case of ADHD with some comorbid anxiety issues.
    Now I have been put on adderall for about 5 days now and have dropped 10 pounds :eek: which is great because I have gained some weight because of non-activity with a dislocated shoulder, but It's getting to the point to where I don't eat but a small pack of peanut butter crackers in the morning. I can stand to lose another 10 pounds, but after that I'll be approaching skin and bones.
    The medication is working brilliantly otherwise.
    I've always loved eating: cheesesticks, pizza, pizza rolls etc. I am hungry but nothing is appealing and when I do eat it feels like a chore.
    My question is what can I do to fulfill my daily calories if I don't feel like eating? Protein shakes? Whole milk?

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused: What's your question about Adderall, though?

Hello! Hello? I'm over here, dude.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Focalin is another choice...

DD

4. jcee15

Am I all over the place??? lol. My question was really about what I should consume other than food to get my 2000 calories a day. Hopefully it resolves itself because I have no insurance and the psychiatrist costs an arm and a leg.

5. jcee15

Yeah i know about some other ones as well, but it costs too damn much to see the psychiatrist again so soon.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Haha. You know I'm teasing, brother. I am what people would call "ADD" also, but mine is whenever I feel like it. Right now, I don't. :p

Dude, just eat up. There's a great burger at Whataburger waiting for you. :cool:

7. jcee15

I'm not hungry :mad: :)

8. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Adderall is an amphetamine. All amphetamines cause appetite loss. It wears off after a couple of weeks.

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Mostly true. So long as you're taking it as prescribed, your appetite should return to normal.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Force feed.
    Yao Ming is on the receiving end of force feeds all the time!

11. jcee15

So from what I understand if I don't increase my dose my appetite will come back? If my dose is increased the side effect will come back?

12. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Jcee15, I feel for you. You are going down a bad path here. First you were bi-polar, (which is a serious diagnosis by the way). Now you just have ADHD and have turned to this amphetimine drug. What's next? Sounds like you definitely have some issues you need to deal with but I doubt some drug is going to fix the problem. How are you getting the Adderall? Is this from the same doctor who diagnosed you to be bi-polar? If so, I'd question that.

I also see that you have some weight to lose? Why don't you just get control of you life, start eating better, exercise, and get off the drugs for awhile and see how you feel?

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What does your doctor say?

14. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

This is complete garbage by the way... Is that what your previous diet consisted of?

15. jcee15

yeah that and gummy bears.

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

This could be you.

[​IMG]

17. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

sucks man... adderall is an awful, awful drug to take regularly, just like speed, meth, and cocaine. I call it a legal illegal drug. You lose your appetite and the drug does a number on your body, especially neurologically. It won't help you long-term, all it will do is temporarily mask the real issues you're dealing with, which is pretty much how quite a few prescription meds work.

I'd advise talking to a homeopathic doctor, who will teach you proper diet, and natural ways of flushing out all the toxins in your body. ADHD/bipolar can be a possible result of ingesting improper foods and chemicals. Depression can be an onset of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), chronic fatigue syndrome, and systemic candidiasis (fungal infection). I'd advise talking to different doctors (especially homeopathics), and also check out http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/nutritional-approaches-to-mental-health.html

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In a month you've managed to be diagonsed as the two most inapropriately over-used diagnoses of the last 100 years. Is it the same doctor who diagnosed you both times?

If I were you I'd seriously take a look at finding a better doctor. Using adderall as a first line treatment for ADD is pretty much frowned on universally these days.

And as mentioned, if you go more than about 3 to 4 weeks on the adderall, your brain chemistry will somewhat adjust and you will be able to get a bit more sleep at night, and some of your hunger will return. But I really think you need to see a more serious doctor.

And whatever you do ignore Red Chocolate. Homeopathic medicine works on the principals that if you take something bad, dilute so many times in water that there is no trace of the original bad thing, the water solution that remails will retain magical "vibrations" of the original item that will protect you. It is placebo medicine.

19. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Yeah i would stay away from daily Adderall use. I know many people who have gotten real ****ed up from that. There is a new ADD pill called STRATTERA and its made from natural herbs, you might wanna check that out. Adderall is basically taking a small amount of speed. Its very useful for cleaning and working if you can do it in moderation, but its pretty scary to me that a doctor a DOCTOR, would have someone taking speed for all the things that they do.

20. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Lol wat? I guess you're going by the wikipedia definition, but what I'm talking about is proper diet balanced with a few nutritional supplements, and possibly a minimal amount of herbal ones. If you go to the site I mention in my previous post, he talks mostly about treating the cause, not the symptom, using a wide array of organic, raw foods, and certain types of vitamins and nutrients that are lacking in most people's diets, especially the original poster's.

Anyways, maybe homeopathy is a bad direction to go, because I do agree that there are a lot of quacks out there if you don't know who to talk to. Perhaps a GP with a good understanding of nutrition and natural remedies is a better way to go, but I'd definitely start by reading the website I mention earlier, just for general info.