1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman Wasting Barry's 3 Point Shooting Skills

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dreammvp, Mar 15, 2009.

1. dreammvp

dreammvp Member

I really don't understand Adleman's use of Brent Barry on this team. Tonight, the only action Barry saw was with both Scola and Yao on the bench. Early in the game the Spurs were doubling both Scola and occasionally Yao, which was leaving our guards with wide open looks from 3 point land....

This leads to the question: Why is Adelman not playing Barry when either Yao or Scola (or both) are on the floor....Barry is our best 3 point shooter and he would kill opposing teams if he was left open. Bringing him into the line up without Yao or Scola is USELESS because he can't create his shot and opposing defenses aren't doubling down to get Barry any open looks....it seems pretty logical, doesn't it? I've noticed this in the last couple of games...you have to know your players' strenghts and how to utilize their talents.....to me, Adelman is wasting the talent of our best 3 point shooter....

What do you guys think?

2. durvasa

durvasa Member

Adelman, like most coaches, prefers a short rotation. The playoffs are approaching, so this is the time coaches like to settle on a tight, 8-man rotation where everyone who gets on the court has plenty of minutes to get comfortable and get in sync. Adelman usually uses 9 or 10 players in the first half, then cuts back in the second half to his 8-man rotation (Lowry, Wafer, and Landry being 6 through 8).

3. saleem

saleem Member

That's true,but the OP is right about RA not utilizing Barry properly when we weren't able to connect anything from the outside. I'm not trying to say that he is going to have a bigger impact on a game to game basis than Wafer.

4. dreammvp

dreammvp Member

exaclty...if you are going to bring Barry into the game, at least bring him in when he has a chance to Succeed and where he will get open looks...don't just throw him out there for the sake of gettign him a few mintues on the court...

5. RV6

RV6 Member

this is probably the biggest problem Adelman has. He sticks to his rotation/starters even when others show good play. i dont think Brent has played poor enough to be sat down for several games at a time. He's shown he can move the ball around, make the open shot and make good passes and deserves more time.

6. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I expect Barry to contribute much more in the playoffs than in the regular season.

7. saleem

saleem Member

We need positive contributions from him and everyone else during this very difficult stretch of the regular season or they may be no playoff place for us.Even if we make it,we can't go limping into them. Barry is obviously no savior, but as a veteran with experience he still can give some valuable minutes. It's up to RA how and when to utilize him and the rest of the team.

8. dreammvp

dreammvp Member

people keep saying this but i don't think its true...thsi is the time you set your rotation...I don't see a Adelman not playing Barry regularly now and then BOOM, when the playoffs start he starts putting Barry in there...you need to develop a set rotation and if Barry is going to be a part of it in the playoffs (he better be beacause we need him), then Adleman needs to start workign him into the rotation now....

9. yao123

yao123 Member

if you dont make jack **** on the regular season how you gonna make any in the post? also....PUT WAFER IN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!! HE PROVEN HE CAN SHOOT THOSE SHOT F0CK THIS COACH

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Adelman this... Adelman that.

Spurs were just a damn good team. Accept it folks.

11. yao123

yao123 Member

i will accept it when i truly see the true potential of this team...the spurs players know their rolls, the rockets do not.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

Because they've been playing together forever...

Tony Parker and Tim Duncan are like husband and wife on the court. They're so perfect and in sync. We don't have that kind of bond yet because one of our focal players is new to this team (Artest) and the other is still a sophomore player (Brooks). Tony and Tim are practically the best duo in the NBA and they set the tone for the rest of their team. I wish we had that kind of combo and I believe we'll have it someday. So just be patient...

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Adelman has a age rule, Barry and Deke are just too old for this team :(

14. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

HAHA . Rockets signed lots of Players .but seldom get on court. Barry .Mutomubo.White.Dorsey?

15. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

Spurs signed lots of players that people never heard. but the played very well in the systerm. Mason?? Hill?? these guys become famouse in Spurs...

16. cassidy

cassidy Member

Extremely agreed!!!!... :D

i want to see Battier shot...

17. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

Barry's shooting is an upside to what he does but he has his downsides. Would you prefer Battier's defense and bad offense or Barry's offense and bad defense. Or should we have Barry off the bench as a backup pg which I wouldn't do.....Kyle Lowry anyone?? I think in that situation I'll go with matchups and the way the team is playing. If the opposing 2 is a offensive threat I'll let Battier play but if it's a player that's playing within his teams offense I'll give Barry a few of Battier's mins.

18. killer instinct

Maybe he hates NEPOTISM......I know I do.

19. Arvid

Arvid Member

Keep Barry and Lowry in the game at the same time. Then we can be spared from Aaron the clueless Brooks.

20. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I think Barry should get more minutes than he do, somehow. On offense we are playing 4 on 5 with Battier on the court and at times that hurt us. Barry is our best shooter and should play more with Yao in the game. I feel he holds his own on defense and it is no worse than Wafer's. Usually a team will not have a 2 and a 3 that both can score at will, so if Barry is in the game Ron should be in so he can guard the best offensive player. I know he trying to set a rotation, but Barry should be in that rotation.