1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman and the Art of Replacing the Benevolent Authoritarian

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The recent expressions of concern over Adelman-- whether it's Yao admitting he's still finding his way, Feigan blogging about Rockets seeming lack of identity, or the sky-is-falling freak-out posts on this bbs-- reminded me of something I went through a few years ago.

I became a high school math teacher after completing grad school, basically taking student taught by a teacher (let's call him Mr. K), who was your old school task-master math teacher and demanded the students to be on task all the time. The students were successful with him, too, when it comes to test results.

On the other hand, I wasn't the task-master Mr. K was-- I'd take the time to help out everyone who wanted help, but wasn't as strict with homework or the reigment. The kids were happy initially with the freedom, but after a while, the kids and the parents started to get nervous as the AP exams approach, fearing that they weren't ready because they had not followed the prior regiment. Frankly, I was nervous, too, about whether the success rate of Mr. K would be sustained. As it turned out, the AP exam scores were better than previous years.

Moral of the story? It's not easy replacing a successful authoritarian, even one people had complaints about. They are happy initially with the freedom, but the first sign of trouble people start questioning why you weren't doing things the same way as the last guy.

It happens in sports, schools, and politics. Don Nelson got fired and replaced with Jeff Van Gundy while the team had a winning record because Patrick Ewing freaked out Don wasn't the same as Pat Riley. Wade Phillips was in a similar situation with questions about whether a nice guy who knows his Xs and Os could keep his team on task like Bill Parcells. And don't even mention Norv Turner... who seems to at least have a decent chance of righting that ship after the major sky-is-falling early season.

Read about the younger democracies in the world, too-- whether it's Taiwan or India-- when things (especially the economy) go sour, there are people who talk about life being better back in the days under the authoritarian regime (as long as the previous authoritarian regime was not totally incompetent in delivering the daily neccesities.(

Van Gundy was the successful and somewhat popular authoritarian. He had his controntations, but delivered the wins (which players like) and was a nicer guy than people generally believed despite his very regimented approach. Adelman does not have the same regiment, he wants the players to figure more things out for themselves. It's not easy to adapt to, and some people are going to miss the good old days, especially if the wins don't come esaily right away. You don't face the kind of quesiton when you replace a 27-55 Eddie Jordan.

What needs to be recognized is that Adelman has been at this for a long time, and has done well for a long time. Just because he isn't as regimented, it doesn't mean the team won't work as well or be as ready. There is no reason to start getting concerned just because the early transition has not looked great so far.

#1 Carl Herrera, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  2. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Nice post, man. Breath of fresh air from all the gloom and doom topics. Yes, the Rockets aren't an offensive juggernaut just yet, and no, the defense is not as impressive as it has been in years past. However, everyone is trying to learn things that are completely new, from Yao learning how to be effective in the high post to the players learning how to read each other and the defense. Give it some time, and stop ragging on Adelman just because the preseason is not exactly how you envisioned it.

3. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

We're going to win 8 games out of our first 10.

Off topic:

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed it's too early. Its an 82 game season. There will be plenty of time to pile on Adelman later. I'll be happy to jump on his case if we don't eventually tighten things up on both ends of the floor.

I'm actually heartened by the early grumbling because it shows Adelman will be held to a similar standard as JVG.

5. NothingButNet

NothingButNet Member

This is by the most educational thread I've read in the preseason. Thanks teacher!

Coach A has said he's more concerned about what the Rockets would look like in next April and May. So I would not worry about the early slow start as long as the Rockets progress towards the right direction, and we will have a harvest season.

6. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

Interesting post. Good points.

That's so true that people want freedom but always seems to be a little buyers remorse until they get confidence in themselves things can really be better under the new regime or management.

I really think Adleman's system is just going to take some time for people to adjust to. Actually, I'm impressed the teams doing as well as it is already. You can tell Battier and Head in particular really feel a lot more free under this system.

Nice post!!!

7. bjshot

bjshot Member

What's the common of coach A and JVD?

Both of them play the best players of the team. After all they made the similar choices. So if Bonzi, V-span or SF3 can't be in the rotation, don't blame the coaches. That's the players' problem. As simple as that.

JVD and rafer alston deserve much more respects from fans. I think RA played fine in playoff. It's Head far below his expectations.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The Moral of the story is don't hire a rookie coach. They are too green and don't have a clue. Adelman is not a rookie and has the expertise to get the job done without the stupid Napoleonistic control Van Dummy found so necessary.

#8 Old Man Rock, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  9. Carl Herrera

The moral of this post is don't try to spell "hire" when you just got yourself "higher."

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Interesting thread but there is a HUGE difference between playing basketball and academics. Some things that may work in teaching might not transfer well into coaching and vice versa. Both coaches have had successful career and been to the Finals at least once.

Difference is, JVG never really had the same caliber of talent that RA has been blessed with. Not a knock on RA but his best year were when he had teams that were stacked. JVG never had that luxury. Sure he had Yao and T-Mac but that is about it. If we had these guys last year, we make the WCF.

11. Old Man Rock

Okay ignore my point if it suits you. But it doesn't change the fact that you were a rookie who didn't have a clue and that's why you failed so miserably.

12. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Interesting point of view. 5 stars.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Adelman will get more out of this team and JVG will be a footnote....

The JVG threads around here are getting worse than the V-Span ones.

DD

14. Carl Herrera

NBA should probably start a "Read to Achieve" program for senior citizens.

As the original post pointed out, my classes had a higher AP exam score than the previous year's. The College Board certainly did not consider the students "failed miserably."

In any case, this thread is not about discussing my teaching years with someone who had no idea about how things were and just feel like yapping. We talking about basketball. The question also has little to do with experience. Don Nelson was plenty experienced when he took the Knicks job. Wade Phillips has been around for a while, too. Whenever one replace a coach who has enjoyed some degree of success and one's style differs from his, there will always be some second guessing as people try to get comfortable. This is true especially if times get tough for a while. They start wondering if they were better off with the last guy.

15. Old Man Rock

I concur... What people seem oblivious to is that a JVG coached team is the worst possible team for Adelman to take over. Not because JVG is this wise type coach. But because JVG teams are never allowed to think on their own. Everything is structured and everyone must adhere to the structure (accept Tmac) or forevermore be banned to the doghouse. JVG drilled that into his players for 4 years. None more than Yao. Now Adelman comes around and says think about a plan react and create in real time, come on lets use or noggins on the court, basketball is a game of talent and instincts so use both and that is so foreign to any JVG brainwashed player. And they all need to go through a deprogramming period.

So the team is going through a bit of a adjustment period and it may take a while. And in that process all the JVG lovers will jump on this board and proclaim JVG's superiority. But the reality is JVG damaged this team and in the playoffs when everybody knows your plan you have to be a bit more flexible and creative and a Jeff Van Gundy team could never do that. SO the authoritarian is jusr BS end of story!

16. Old Man Rock

Well if that's the case you disproved your point. In the world of teaching you got out of the first round and in to the finals and your style of teaching was more effective were it counted than the other moronic dictator.

I didn't read all of your post because it was very clear you were going to rant about the wonders of JVG and as Dakota said please people can we just let the guy die off and disappear into oblivion. He is no longer a Rocket and he is not even employed by the NBA so can we move all discussions about him to the general discussion area.

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

See the difference here is JVG would not have had the talented team that RA has now...No bonzi, no Stevie, maybe James, maybe Scola, quite possibly no Dikembe. His authoritative style didn't set well with some players, and despite the talent or potential, others would not see the light of day. And of course, he only brought in his type of players, half of which were former Knicks players whose better days were far behind them.

So yeah he didn't have as talented of a team, but it was partly his own fault. I mean, jeez, he gave Ryan Bowen heavy minutes!

18. Carl Herrera

1. I guess it's too much to expect some people to actually read a post before quoting and responding to it nowadays on the BBS. Guess it doesn't matter if all your post are going to repeat the same boring mantra no matter the topic.

It's a good thing that there are some thoughtful discussions here, but people who don't bother to read or think are really bringing down the quality of discussions.

2. The fact of the matter is, Les and Morey picked a proven good coach, it's time to give the coach and his staff time to work things their way. There is no reason to get frantic unless getting frantic and b****ing about the team is how you define fandom.

Everyone has the RIGHT to be critical, but to do this early when it's not even warranted is completely unreasonable.

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Now I remember why I had OMR on ignore.

Carl this was a really good comparison post. Like most intelligent people I am going to reserve judgment on Adelman until the end of the season. There is so much that these players will have to learn in the next couple of months that I would not be surprised to see things start out slow (we've already seen a bit of evidence that will be the case).

Thanks for the story CH!

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's not what the post said at all :confused:.