1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam and Lance is terrible

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by otis thorpe, Sep 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

After listening to the morning shows on 790 for a while now :

Lance & Matt : I loved Matt & Ross around noon. I just can't seem to get into Matt & Lance as much. I just think it's because I'm not much of a Lance fan. Between the acid reflux, memory lapses, and the occasional "alpha dog" syndrome where he starts challenging his co-host... meh. Matt + Ross + nutty callers was always a hilarious combo.

Koch & Kalu : I love this show and really don't know why other than I get an actual athlete's perspective about sports. I like that they have access to football players for interviews, as well.

Clanton & Jones : This is quickly becoming my favorite show on 790. I'm starting to like it more than even Charlie's show. Clanton steers the show for the most part without trying to take it over or talk over Sean. Sean comes on with guns blazing and not giving a rat's ass who he talks mess about for the most part. The best part is that he gives insider tidbits about everything from the sports industry (mainly football) to the entertainment industry. He isn't afraid to speak his mind and go off on anybody -- Deion Sanders, Jerry Glanville, etc. This and Koch & Kalu's show are the ones I look forward to the most nowadays while working.

1 person likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

wow... most if not all the same takes as I have...

I used to like lance when he was the sports nerd sidekick to Granata. his occasional draft info, and the occasional insight from his coach dad helped balance Granata's bluster.

I really like Koch and Kalu. Koch sometimes comes off too old school (balanced well by Kalu however), but they do provide a straightforward athlete's insight on football.

I am really starting to like the Clanton and Jones show. Perhaps from his experience with MJ, Adam knows enough to to simply tee it up and then get out of Jones way.

That all said, Charlie still rules the local sports talk scene. Add in the Matt Bullard segment (always get great insights about the Rockets). In fact, wish Bullard had his own show.

Last, I remember there was a former Astros oufielder that had a regular segment on 610 a number of years ago. Always great insights... anyone remember who that was and why it no longer happens? WIth the Astros being thebest Houston team right now, seems it is a great time to have a regular Astros show.

3. conquistador#11

who is Kevin Bass for$1.
    one of my favorite segments too, that's from way back then during the 2003,2004, 2005 years.

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

God, I love me some Kevin Bass.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its really hard to judge all of the shows right now because there's just not that much going on with the local sports scene.

Obviously, in this city, sports-talk radio reaches its peak during the football season. If the Rockets were relevant, there would be more chatter... but this city tends to simply become indifferent when they're bad (as opposed to when the Texans are bad, sports-talk and interest actually increases).

Matt's a professional radio host... I don't consider him to be particularly insightful, or for him to inundate you with information that only a professional sports-caster would have access to... but his ability to both entertain and engage callers along with play-off the co-host (whether its Ross or Lance) makes it acceptable that they bumped him up to an area of more prime listeners.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

About the only thing negative I have with Kalu is kind of what you have with Koch. Kalu's disdain for the "wussification" of football can be a bit disturbing. There are times where I don't think he believes it's real football unless somebody's head and body are sent to 2 different hospitals on 2 different ambulances. CTE, paralysis, etc.? Doesn't matter... people should be able to take somebody's head off on the field. lol.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

lulzzzz @ koch just now...for a spot for texas mattress makers, "my girlfriend loves it, my fiancée loves it...wait. i said that wrong."

for a split second i thought it was a joke, and then i remembered greg koch is not funny.

which makes it funnier.

8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

^Sounds like a Freudian slip, too funny.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Koch and Kalu aren't idiots obviously, since Koch has law experience and Kalu went to Rice, but they both try pretty hard to come off as dumb jocks.

I'd rather listen to Charlie pontificate on the merits of Jared Allen's HOF credentials than a couple of misogynistic neanderthals, even if its shtick.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Great Rockets talk on The Bottom Line right now.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is EXACTLY how I feel about them.

Kalu's misogynistic mini-rant about Michael Smith the other day reminded me of why I never listen to that program.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

true, although law experience does not mean much in terms of overall intelligence, IMO.

just can't stand that show or anyone who can listen to it without getting at least somewhat put off by the blatant bigotry/misogyny. sometimes i literally can't believe what i'm hearing.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I only ever hear it because I get in the car at lunch and it's on 790 still from the morning, so I admit to only catching snippets here or there.

However, each time I do I feel like Kalu is making some gay semi-slur or or they are calling someone a female anatomy for being soft or they are trashing people for what they wear or Koch is making a sex joke.

14. Nero

Nero Member

Quite possibly y'all are just not the intended demographic for the show.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The intended demographic for the show is why it has the ratings it does.

Which begs the question, are K&K really that shallow, or are they pandering to blue collar Houston sports talk radio listeners?

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

They're both ex-NFL players, linemen to boot so yeah their dialogue seems genuine.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Koch would probably say they're really that shallow. :grin: I think they probably bring a (very) subdued version of the lockerroom on-air. I'm kind of glad they toned down the Uncle Greg monologues, though. Those were horrible most of the time.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, though I have to admit, that there are times Sean is off on his non-football takes, which is understandable. Still my favorite show on 790 along with Charlie's show. I like that Clanton can guide the show towards Rockets talk a bit.

Did I hear correctly during the show that they said Sean would be MIA for a while - like months? Or was that a joke?

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

On a random note - The CP & Bullard (neither of which I absolutely love in general) segment is one of the best listens of the week. They should have a regular show together.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not sure what you're insinuating, but Kalu graduated from Rice and Koch is a licensed attorney.