1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Actor/Famous People: Fake or Facts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Me and friend were talking about the Hollywood Crowd
    he brought up a interview with Natalie Portman.
    The interviewer asked about her 'Squeaky Clean Image'
    To which she responded "I'm an Actor. . . Its my job [to project and image] . . My friends know How I really am"
    Which I found a refreshingly honest answer.

Basically . . about 70% of everything you hear about them is complete BS.

Most of it is driven through their publicity machines [agents/etc]
    and filter through their propaganda machines etc. [TMZs/E!/etc]

When you are dealing with people [esp actors]
    whose whole job is to be able to convincingly 'pretend'
    . . . How can you believe much of what they say and do?

I am generally surprised at the number of people follow these shows and people
    and believe all of it is true and honest. . .

Maybe I am too cynical . . . so I asked the Impartial ClutchFans

Rocket River

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This is going to be the worst response, but pretty much there is some truth to every rumor, but I think when you look at the rumor as a whole it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

When I think of Natalie Portman I like to think of
    [​IMG]

I believe what actors say about as much as I believe what regular people say. Everybody usually projects a false image of themselves until you get to know them.

4. dback816

dback816 Member

The real question is does it matter?

You can have your overdramatic reaction when something big gets leaked.

Until then, what's wrong with believing someone's media image is who that person is? It's not like it's going to interfere with your own life in any way, shape, or form.

I'm not gonna be sitting in my car and worry about some actress' personal hobbies while driving to the gas station.

5. Voice of Reason

Trust the art, not the artist.

D.H. Lawrence

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're assuming she speaks for everyone. That's her view of things. The fact that she cares so much about how she appears to the public should tell you that's she's probably fairly squeaky clean. She's probably just saying she's cusses some and is maybe a bit messy or something, not that she's a sex crazed-crack addicted-criminal with her friends.

As for the shows, you have to use your own judgement. Some things just can't be faked.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I don't really think it matters what an actor is really like in person. You either like their art or you don't. It shouldn't matter if they feed the homeless or club dolphins in their spare time.

8. Relentless

Relentless Member

I don't give a **** about actors/famous people.

1 person likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I saw that interview with Natalie Portman.

She is gorgeous and stuff, but I think she is certifiably batsh1t insane.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

hehehehe.
    I didn't see it but he told me about it . . .well that statement

Now I need to find it.

Rocket River

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This is why I admire Charlie Sheen. There is no lying in him.

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

There are plenty of people in the world to admire. Why admire some stupid, adulterous **** just because he doesn't hide what an ass he is?

13. Fatty FatBastard

Ah, the story of my life.

It's pretty bad when even my mom says he reminds her of me.

14. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Ditto. I don't understand why people are interested in the personal lives of people they don't know.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

When you actually see celeb wannabes DESPERATELY INTENTIONALLY leaking sex videos into the mainstream, you know "squeaky clean" is all bull****. They're all whores until proven otherwise.

I think girls eat up all the inside juicy scandal stuff more than guys. Or guys are more impartial and separate the person from the art better.

Guys will acknowledge Tom Cruise is crazy but most will still watch his movies if they're good enough.
    Girls might actually let his treatment of Katie Holmes influence their view of him and if they'll watch his movies or not.
    Girls will be quick to label a person as trash or a creep.
    Guys just hope no matter how bad the scandal is, it ends up in the girls showing some boobie.

Thats why reality shows are easy work for Hollywood. They live their lives fake already, so they project that same fakeness and LIES on "reality" tv and make it into shows.

I know people who've worked semi-close to B-C list celebs on a couple 2-4 hour gigs. Saying how their entourages make strange requests for drugs and all kinds crap lol

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

lol ;)

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I know, it's like following basketball players on a basketball forum :p

18. ThaShark316_28

RV6 1
    Internet 0

Tough loss for the big guy.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Most of the posters here don't care what the players do in their personal lives, they are concerned with the product on the court.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why don't you wonder what's happening in an engineer's life?

It's just because actors are closer to 'exciting' topics like sex, drugs, alcohol, music, etc.

That interest creates an opportunity to make money. Stylists, PR people and rumors are just profit maximization tools. But the moment you stop caring, there's no more need for maximization.

This is obvious from how often entertainers enter depression once the public stops caring about them. They are fine when the pubic thinks badly of them. It's when the public stops giving a damn that they start breaking down.

This is also why it the sex and drugs and whatnot keep getting worse. Because they are interesting in the first place due to the taboo nature. As you observe more, it becomes less taboo, so entertainers have to up the ante into a more taboo area. Hence the sex videos rather than sex rumors.

It's essentially an entire industry running on the fuel that is our adolescent interest in taboo subjects. Once upon a time, it's the actors that piqued interest in personal lives. Now it's personal life that piques interest in actors.

You know what makes it interesting? When they act like they don't want you to know. You know what makes it even MORE interesting? When they act like you got something they don't want you to get.

So on and so forth. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the entertainment, but I think it's important to know why you feel entertained.