1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ACLFest 2011

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, May 12, 2011.

1. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

No true. Attendance is capped at the park and has been for a few years.

Other than adding additional aftershows it's unlikely the fest can grow any further unless C3 increases the area of the park being used (which would be difficult unless the fest crossed over to the other side of Barton Springs).

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I read this post before the one ahead of yours and I imagined people throwing

[​IMG]

and thinking "what he said sucks but it wasn't that bad."

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Not true. They raised attendance last year from 65k to 75k. I have a feeling (more like hope) it will be lowered again this year back to 65k.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

hey man, you still got those passes?

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Pimp, true, but with a caveat. The increase was the first since 2005. It had been at 65K since that time.

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/cont...0/09/26/contract_with_city_increases_a_1.html

Just take exception to Tinman's (and any casual austin music observer posing as someone in the know b/c they live in the city) claim that it is growing at a similar pace as SXSW. Again, it literally doesn't have the capacity to grow in SX's mold.

7. SWTsig

yeah, the crowds at acl have been a lot tamer since 2005, which was a total clusterf***. think they had somewhere in the vicinity of 90k that year. between the heat, crowd, and dust that year was terrible. although lineup wise it was awesome.

sxsw, otoh, has completely blown the f up... this year was a madhouse.

8. leroy

SXSW was beyond ridiculous this year. They're doing so much more during the day that there's almost no way to control the crowds. I enjoy it more during the day because the shows are typically free and, on occasion, so is the beer. I then get the heck out of dodge around 5 pm to get back to Round Rock before the invasion starts heading in.

05' was a massive clusterf***. I believe '04 was even worse. People were just going over the fence. The crowds had to have been closer to 100k. Even with the controls for attendance, it's still very crowded. There's just not much they can do about it because it's a defined area. Expanding across Barton Springs would just make things much worse.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

2004 was the year it got out of hand and they did scale it back after that. i had been the first two years so i had a good frame of reference and i just remember that one being a sea of people everywhere. and there was a massive dirt cloud hanging right above everyone the whole time. and the hottest days in acl history - 110 degrees.

and sxsw was crazy this year - 250k people came to austin, but only 60k had wristbands/badges - all the rest come strictly for the free stuff. i had friends come in from nyc and nashville and neither even got wristbands.

10. leroy

Forgot to mention that 05 had the only day I've ever missed in the first 9 years. The dust was so bad that weekend and it was so f***ing hot, I couldn't make it back on the Sunday. I was coughing up dirt for a week.

What they've done with the grass out there is a g-d send. Not just for the festival but for the park in general.

11. leroy

Schedule is out today. Only one trainwreck for me that I've noticed so far...

Delta Spirit and Old Crow Medicine Show at the same time on Friday...

12. RocketsPimp

These conflicts stood out to me:

Chromeo vs. TV On The Radio
    AWOLNATION vs. Chiddy Bang

I'm going with Chromeo and Chiddy Bang.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

the worst i have is that i wanted to try to get as close as possible for mmj, but i'm not missing any of tv on the radio. no conflict other than that! :cool:

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Really pissed about this one...

James Blake vs Kurt Vile vs Smith Westerns

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

aftershows announced. leaning towards delta spirt/j. roddy on thursday night and dale earnhardt jr. jr. on saturday. or head and the heart.

16. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Selling 1 (one) ACL 3-day pass. Not looking to make a profit on it just can't go this year so I am selling it for how much I paid, $185. PM me if interested

17. SWTsig

couldn't decide between delta spirit/j. roddy and ocms/haes carll but went with ocms even though i really, really want to see j. roddy. but i've seen delta a few times and ocms never seems to tour through texas so i went with that.

going to see fitz and the tantrums sat. night.

haven't decided if im going to attend the festival at all though.

18. RocketsPimp

One more week!!!

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

with all the fire and heat im going stay atleast 200 miles away from Austin during ACL.

20. leroy

Start hydrating now. Temps, as of today, will be a little over 100 all weekend.