1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ACLFest 2011

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, May 12, 2011.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I thought this band was pretty good:

The Airborne Toxic Event

never heard of them before.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I hadn't heard them before either and it was easily the 2nd best show I saw. They were very good.

Broken Social Scene was good. Fleet Foxes were pretty good, but for as tired as I was at that point, that kind of music wasn't helping so I had to move on.

Hayes Carll was great for at least the first 30 minutes of his set. I was done at that point and went home.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i saw them for free at sxsw a few years back. they had a song they played on the radio , plus they did the late night circuit of leno/letterman/kimmel

4. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Only went Saturday but it was a great show. The main stage was a bummer though. Cee-lo kept complaining about the microphone being too low and when Stevie came on I could barely hear his voice. Couldn't even hear the band. Heard My Morning Jacket better from where I was standing, which was across the dang park. That was the only bummer but still got to see Stevie Wonder...kinda. Anyways saw Batman there and took a quick photo while Fitz and the Tantrums were playing which was the best band that I saw Saturday.

[​IMG]

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

the fitz and the tantrums aftershow at la zona rosa was amazing... one of the best shows i've been to in recent memory. granted, i was far from sober and my recollection is somewhat fuzzy but i danced my ass off.

only made it inside the festival on saturday but it was one of the more fun acl experiences i can remember... great weather w just enough rain to cool things off, ran into a ton of different friends and finished off the day with a rocking mmj set (after trying in vain to listen to stevie from .5 mile back).

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

leroy, sorry i missed ya, got your text after i had already made it back to other side of park.

hard to pick a number 1 highlight of the weekend, but probably bright eyes, followed closely by the head and the heart. i did get to go to acl taping friday night which was amazing. officially in love with the violinist.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Chromeo was so much fun, I can't pick a better show. Everything else is a distant second.

Empire of the Sun....they're weird, in a cool way.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What'd Bright Eyes play? You go to their show on Saturday?

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Damn it. I had the auto-refresh chrome thing going for a whole day every 5 seconds to snag some souvenir tickets.

Didn't pay attention for like two minutes and they sold out within 30 seconds... :mad:

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not leaving this waiting room until it makes me. Not sure I'm going next year at the regular price. This year was underwhelming and has been getting moreso every year. I could have skipped this year and not felt like I missed anything other than the money I wouldn't have spent. About the only thing I got out of it was seeing Delta Spirit and the knowledge that I've been to all 10 festivals.

I'm convinced these tickets haven't actually existed since 2006. That was the last time I got them (when they were $35). Ever since, I haven't even come close and out of the hundreds I know that attend this festival every year, no one has gotten them.

{EDIT} just got booted. Thinking about the Utopia Fest next year any way. Cheaper and camping.

#210 leroy, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  11. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

I think it's just a silly marketing ploy to get people interested in next years festival. I agree this year was underwhelming but at least it's pushed back to October next year.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

"Sometime Around Midnight" I think it was called.

Hacky bull**** wannabe indie ****jobs.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i went every day of every year for the first 7 years - i found myself bored most of the time during the 2008 fest so that was the last one i went to. i started going to funfunfun fest instead.

i did get the super cheap tickets the first 2 or 3 years - also, remember the first few years you could take your ticket to the gate and they would give you the wristband there? also, when they mailed the ticket the receipt was attached in the form of another ticket? the first year i accidentally gave them the receipt and they took it, so i was able to sell the real one - tried in the 2nd year and it worked again - tried the 3rd year and i guess others had done it b/c the lady looked at me and goes "nice try buddy".

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hack or blow is outlawed? Or is that a ****jobs?