1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ackermanisms

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mfastx, Feb 12, 2024.

1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You could tell Craig and Ryan were laughing amongst themselves with all the Dick references (Grady Dick) in the first game against Toronto.

harold bingo likes this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Craig threw a no hitter in college and could hit 91 mph on the radar gun. He said so tonight. Not bad!

don grahamleone and harold bingo like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

"...and now we're tied at 69, which is not so nice."

:D

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

“Aaron Holiday has had two dunks in the last two games. They’ve been real and they’ve been spectacular.”

—clearly a Seinfeld fan.

hajkov, macho GRANDE, CDrex and 4 others like this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Nice catch. I missed that!

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

"So nice, let's watch it thrice!"

kpdark likes this.
  7. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Yup, as this gentleman so fondly recalls.

As background music while watching:

Rashmon, Ankara1923 and Easy like this.
  8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I hate how excited he gets calling a good play for the opponent. Often I’m doing other things while listening to the game and when he screams I turn to the tv expecting to be happy and then it’s like Miles Bridges dunking on Sengun or something. I’m like:

[​IMG]

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm glad you pointed this out, I didn't know if it was intentional or if I'm just extremely immature and was reading too much into it. But "Dick goes hard through the lane" and stuff like that definitely had me laughing. I like Craig and I enjoy his humor.

don grahamleone and kubli9 like this.
  10. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Unfortunately he passed away. R.I.P.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

It's also out of the flow of conversation. Ryan would be in the middle of saying something then Craig interrupts loudly for the other team. His voice is so loud, that it forces me to do a volume check. Reminds me when one of Nolan's movies, where the audio is mixed poorly.

Part of it is highlights culture, where the announcers understands the game is often chopped and clipped, so they do voice acting. Come across as a bit artificial. Can be impressed with other team's play without yelling at the home audience. No need to salt the wound.

I can maybe understand why they do it but I don't agree with it. And very jarring when the jump scares happen.

#31 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 14, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    Ankara1923 likes this.
  12. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I was grateful for having ours after listening Chicago idiots but has felt again suicidal after New York experience.

Wally was certainly much brighter player than Hollins, son of the great player Volodimir "Walt" Sczerbiak, born in Madrid, fluent Italian and Spanish (might be Ukrainian also because of father), an all-star, all-rookie, nearly 10.000 points,,, and no irrelevant memories, no margarita, just describing what was happening and made lots of research for any player out there. No nonsense approach, basically informing people without imposition.

What happens in our stream:
    1.The player scores: "I love the dedication, confidence"
    2.Same player misses at the exact position: "Not good decision making, xyz should be more careful".

It is not sport commentating, it is score commentating.

You watch McConnell, Saddiq Bey type of players against Rockets and zero information from our commentators. They don't bother to research before the game to inform audience during the game.

Typical Rockets media.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"The Rockets can't throw it into the ocean."

harold bingo likes this.
  14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

He talks all the time........not commentate, just talks quickly. Not a good commentator at all

He tries to be funny

Ryan is an annoying partner as well

15. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

I miss Bill and Bull. Bill really knew how to build the drama, had an excellent voice, and was just the right amount of homer. Bullard, despite occasionally hyperfixating on one of his little bits, actually gave really good analysis and play breakdowns (isn’t he scouting for us now?).

Ackerman does a decent play by play but his voice and cadence are really more suited for radio. I had hoped maybe it was just an adjustment period but its been several years now and the guy just strikes me as constantly frantic.

Hollins is somehow harder to listen to than Clyde. If he says “that was a much needed _______ for this ball club” one more time, I’m going to have an aneurysm. And ruining every dunk highlight with his orgasm noises.