1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Achilles injury recovery in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

More risky than keeping a disgruntled player and waiting for a better deal down the line? Allowing that energy into the room and bringing down morale and possibly leading to a toxic work environment?

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes, ideally no bad habits were formed since he didn't really have to rush to come back. That is likely what Klay's issue was where he may have overdid it in his rehab trying to get ready for training camp.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Astrodome, pippendagimp and J Sizzle like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Maybe? For the same reason there's a possibility John Wall won't get back to a starter level on a Harden led team, there's a possibility it was a power move on WB's part and he would have sucked it up and played.

5. psaman17

psaman17 Member

True it is zero-risk. Because risk insinuates an upside, there is no upside here. Even at his best ,healthy fully, Wall is an ill conceived fit next to Harden. He is just a straight up inferior version of Westbrook. For all his flaws(and everyone knows i'm a huge Westbrick critic), he is productive in the regular season and he does play hard. With his health being a major red flag, Wall is one of the most unmovable contract in the NBA. I honestly would take expiring contracts over John Wall.

So we traded one of the worst shooters and defenders in the entire NBA making $40 million a year for another poor shooter/defender in the NBA making $40 million who hasnt played basketball for 2 years.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty sure that's an old tweet, they just put whiteout over Klay Thompson's name and wrote Wall's name in instead

topfive likes this.
  7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

A zero risk move was trading Westbrook to the Knicks or Magic or CHA for expirings and cap relief. Which was reportedly what was offered, but Rockets wanted pick(s) and/or young players.

Dumping Westbrook for nothing but expiring and cap relief IMO is far better than taking on Wall for a heavily protected 1st.

Wall = a worst, more injury prone, equally expensive and ill fitting Westbrook.

There was videos of Wall partying and throwing up gang signs with alleged Crip members not too long ago.

There are a lot of risks.

ashleyem likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Look at Wall's attitude in Washington, the guy has had an attitude for sometime.

Zero risk is just something you are telling yourself to justify this. A better fit on paper yes..... but on paper Harden and WB could have made it work too.

The injury history between the two is a joke, WB got traded into the Rockets curse/karma so he naturally got a soft tissue injury during the regular season. Wall on the other hand just has essentially mix tapes from the last two years..... Zero risk? You are only convincing yourself of that.

ashleyem likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think you underestimate Russel Westbrooks ability to be over the top petty.

James wanted to be traded too. He reported. He's being professional.

Westbrook would have been a cancer that would have sapped any positivity out of the franchise.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

This.....This move is the exact opposite of zero risk. I think people are just letting their WB hate get the better of them.

11. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Thank you.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's "zero risk" in that the alternative was guaranteed failure, this gives us a chance of success albeit not a great one. When you have a small chance of success if you do something and guaranteed failure if you do nothing, you aren't risking anything to try.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We'll just have to wait and see how it works out.

jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

Different situation. Harden is the Rockets franchise player, not WB. Look at WB's tenure at OKC, just like Harden's.

Maybe WB would have been a cancer or maybe not. There isn't a history of it outside of this year.

15. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

IF Wall can stay healthy and return very close to his explosive self then the trade will be a win. Otherwise WB could have been sitting at home eating donuts and I promise you someone would have eventually gave the Rockets a better package for the future than 1st round lottery protected pick.

The Rockets must have gotten word from someone they trust that Wall is currently looking good. Otherwise you don't trade an All-star in his prime (I'm no fan of WB) for a guy that hasn't played in YEARS. No Way.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Most of those players did not have the benefit of modern medicine but I don't think he will be a top 20 player again and I don't think he has to be to fit here.

Red.Glare likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@SuperMarioBro

18. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Let's not forget that Wall only partially tore his achilles, not the full rupture KD and most others have had. Wall also was ready to play in the bubble months ago but Washington chose to sit him instead. As he has stated, he has been playing with 4 or 5 inch bone spurs in his knee and heel for past seasons. I think its entirely possible we see a better version of him that we saw the last 2-3 years he was on the court.

pippendagimp likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Show me the math that guarantees this failure…. otherwise there is no guarantee, just your opinion and we both have access to same information.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Simply not true.

If you don't think a better fit alongside James Harden is important, I can only assume you just started watching the Rockets last season. Say whatever you want about John Wall, and make no mistake, I am not saying he's leading us to a championship or anything, but no matter what you think about him, he is a better shooter, passer, defender, and is higher-IQ than Westbrook. That's really not up for debate. Yes, injuries could derail him, but to say there is no upside in adding somebody who improves multiple areas of the team if he works out is just simply not correct.