1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Academia Gone Wild: Identical Twins Separated for 35 Years by "Research" Group

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by hotballa, Dec 10, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Not sure what they planned to study. Why not also kill someone and research how that effects the people around them. Honestly, I thought that scientists were supposed to have some sort of ethics. My advanced biology teacher spent the first week on ethics, so I know it's something that every scientist learns. I think the peopel involved with this study should be hauled in before a Senate hearing and properly grilled.

Disgusting.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0712/08/cnr.05.html

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Please, the fact that you could break the set up and not have to buy two probably helped them get adopted faster. They should stop whining.

3. hotballa

I'll ignore the Meowgiesque comment from you :D

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

5. hotballa

:D this was actually the first thing that came to mind also.

6. underoverup

underoverup Member

buy one get one free? :confused:

7. Mulder

Mulder Member

The more important question is...

how hot are they?

[​IMG]

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why would breaking up twins for adoption be any worse than breaking up other siblings? This actually sounds like a great study to compare nature vs. nurture, since identical twins have the same DNA and were in as close to the same environment prior to separation as possible, you could see how much these separated twins differed from twins that grew up together.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

How bizarre would it be to suddenly discover you had a twin...

10. halfbreed

halfbreed Member

Yeah it'd be super to live for 35 years with no ties to your biological family and being lied to in the name of science. After 35 years, surprise! Not only do you have family members but you have a twin!

Science FTW!

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Pretty much the actions of one person should then reflect on an entire profession.

That's why I hate all professional athletes, lawyers, contractors, governors, mayors, presidents, diplomats, soldiers, engineers, chefs, bull riders (long story), doctors, traders, professors, students, accountants, and IT professionals. So little time in the day!

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Peole that are adopted don't have biological ties...atleast they shouldn't worry too much about it.

13. halfbreed

halfbreed Member

That's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying that all science is reflected in the actions of this immediate case.

I'm simply saying that it's sad that science trumps the interests of the twins in this case.

14. hotballa

exactly.

btw for those who think this isn't a big deal, I highlighted the feelings of the twins for a reason. it's easy to say it's a good idea, but wat do you say to the people involved?

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It isn't like they were stolen from their parents. They were put up for adoption and they were separated at that time. I'm sure there are tons of siblings that get adopted by different families. Heck, I'm sure there are siblings that are aware of each other that get split up, now that really would suck. Being a twin without knowing you are a twin doesn't seem like a big deal to me, and I have some experience with twins (my mom is a twin).

16. calurker

calurker Member

On the bright side, there is no chance of one person sleeping with another only to find out that they are each other's long-lost sibling (too much Korean soap opera).

17. thadeus

thadeus Member

If I had a twin, I'd totally make out with him. It wouldn't be gay at all, it'd be like masturbation. And besides, I'm damn sexy.

18. hotballa

Like I said, it's easy to say that when you're no the one who got split up from their twin. Maybe it was a worthwhile experiment (I don't think so, but you're entitled to that opinion), but the twins themselves obviously did not feel that way. Science Ethics 101 was a class missed by the researchers.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still curious who funded the study and who is the author? The article only says the key researcher is quite elderly.

20. hotballa

I think according to the article it won't be released till 2066. Kind of unusual...