1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AC/DC - Black Ice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JPM0016, Oct 7, 2008.

1. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

This deserves it's own thread. The new AC/DC album leaked today and its pretty damn good. They are back to the classic 70's/80's rock sound that has been missing the last 15 to 20 years.

Brian Johnson sounds like he's turned back time and its the mid 80's. He is the mvp of this album. It's loud and its the best pure rock album this decade. Bands like Aerosmith and Van Halen have either went pop or just done nothing. AC/DC reasserts its self as the king of **** rock.

There is no "Back in Black" or "You Shook Me All Night Long" but its still great. Be sure to download this or buy it in 2 weeks.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That's what she said...uh, nevermind...btw, what is that...

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

isnt FFB all about these guys? i agree good album

4. Fatty FatBastard

Oh, I've already purchased it. It'll be shipped on Oct. 20th.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Heard the first single last weekend. I couldn't tell if it was new or old. That is a good thing. Looking forward to this album.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Even the video looks like it came out of the 80s.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bX2xbqWtyJU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bX2xbqWtyJU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

It's already on my iPod. Terrific album. And I'm seeing them in concert in December :D

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i think i heard the cheapest tickets were like 90 bucks... :confused:

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Absolutely True. Every seat in the house is $89.50 (Before all the BS fees, too). No matter how close or how far from the stage. Thankfully, I got 2nd row :D

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Enjoy the Angus Young strip show, fellas. He's been itching to show his ass on a new tour. ;)

11. JPM0016

I Love to hear the band ripping their own sound off. The opening riff on "Spoilin for a fight" sounds a lot like the opening riff on "It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll".

My favorites would have to include:

Big Jack (best rocker)
    Spoilin for a fight
    Money Made
    She Likes Rock N Roll
    Skies on Fire

And who could forget the first ac/dc almost ballad "rock n roll dream". They really knocked this one outta the park.

I think they'll have the same type of success they had with "The razors edge". A commercial album that brings them out of their slump.

12. JPM0016

CD is now available at your local walmart. What does everyone think? Where does this one rank in their huge discography?

Of course we have to get a review from the resident AC/DC expert Fatty FatBastard.

13. Fatty FatBastard

I pre-ordered it. Being shipped to me as we speak. I'll let y'all know how it is when I get it.

14. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

Oct 27 2008 8:57AM EDT
    AC/DC as Economic Indicator

The ultimate sign that we are on an economic highway to hell? Yes, it just may be AC/DC album sales.

The aging Aussie rockers are top of the charts in Britain for the first time in 28 years with their album Black Ice. Alexis Petridis of the Guardian points out that AC/DC's ascents on the U.K. pop charts coincides with declines in the British economy.

The band's biggest album, Back In Black, came out in 1980, with British inflation at 20 percent and unemployment climbing toward 2 million.

And the band's "comeback" album, The Razors Edge, was released in 1990, "just as Britain headed towards its last recession."

What's the connection? Petridis says, "People crave something uncomplicated and dependable in a time of uncertainty, and rock music has never produced a band so uncomplicated and dependable as AC/DC."

But that's Britain. In the United States, there are encouraging (or should we say discouraging?) signs of a connection, as well. The new album has yet to reach the top of the charts, but the band has chosen a promising launching pad: Black Ice is being sold exclusively through the recession-friendly discount chains of Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/daily-brief/2008/10/27/acdc-as-economic-indicator

15. JPM0016

AC/DC has their biggest opening week ever. Congrats to a band who truly deserves the success.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...-charts-acdc-leave-competition-thunderstruck/

The Big News: As predicted, AC/DC stormed to the top of the charts as Wal-Mart registers were ablaze with the beeps of 784,000 copies of Black Ice sold. The total ranks second to only Lil Wayne’s Tha Carter III in terms of best first week sales this year. For AC/DC, it was their biggest-selling first week in their history on the sales charts and the first time they sat atop the Billboard chart since 1981’s For Those About To Rock (We Salute You). High School Musical 3 enjoyed a good week, first topping the box office and then selling 296,000 copies of the soundtrack to land at number two. Rounding out the top five were T.I.’s Paper Trail, last week’s champ Kenny Chesney and Metallica’s Death Magnetic.

16. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I've listened to this once and am now revisiting each song (on a better set of headphones than my first listen) and will agree with most of the reviews. There are no jump-out-at-you concert-rockers that will get you out of your seat no matter where you are at...but, this is a solid set of music from top to bottom. I am liking it more the second time and will probably like it even more with further listens. If you're a fan, definitely pick it up. The sound is the same...so you know you're getting some pretty solid rock. If you're someone who is waiting on the next pop-friendly AC/DC track, you're probably not going to find it here.

Good stuff here! Definitely better than 98% of the other sounds coming out of the rock scene right now. 7.5/10