1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AC/DC (and other bands) played at Astroworld

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Mar 17, 2014.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

No LOL necessary. Jones was a pretty talented song writer. Dream Into Action is a fine album that (surprisingly) holds up pretty well today.

And yes, it was fun going on a concert night and not going to the concert. No lines at any of the rides.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Yup, saw New Order as well. Howard Jones was cool back then but I was around 13 and got bullied by some high school kids after I kissed my Astroworld Girlfriend for the day. Sucked so bad. They stole my hat.

3. jo mama

jo mama Member

you know how i know we are gay.

i was at astroworld with my church back in '88 and me and a friend got a sweet hookup for tickets to the richard marx/wilson phillips extravaganza. at first i was all like "it dont mean nothing" but by the end of the show i realized that if you hold on for one more day things will go your way.

i also saw REM on the green tour and dee-lite and happy mondays. i think that was the same year as morrissey (90 or 91).

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know who they are, but never saw them in concert. I did see a few concerts there in my youth.

They also used to do a fundraiser for groups. You could provide workers that were over 16 to work some of the food places, and Astroworld would donate the wages to the group. Our youth group did that for several years in a row. When I was 13-14 my parents volunteered to work. A friend and I went with them but because we were underage we couldn't work. They did let us go in the park for free and we got to go in with the workers about 45 minutes before the park opened. We would just go in leave the group and go get in line. When the ride people saw us in line they would usually let us start riding. We rode several things 2-3 times before the park was even open. Good Times.

1 person likes this.
  5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

That was 91. I still have pics of Moz standing on the speaker during the Last of the International Playboys. I also saw Dee-Lite. I wonder how many I'm forgetting. I had a season pass and Astroworld was pretty much where my mom sent me when she had to work. It was awesome.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

If that was the one with Yngwee Malmstein (or whatever) opened for them, then I was there. I remember it quite well because some girl that went with us had this horrific scream she let out every song. It was funny and annoying at the same time. I forget what record they were touring on. I wanna say "Back in Black" but it could have been "For Those About To Rock".

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

I was at the New Order show as well with Updawg and others for the "Technique" album tour I think it was. Bunch of wiggers at that show. I remember I sat in gum on the lawn. lol. I just remember everyone was dancing on the lawn. It was like a teen dance riot. I couldn't understand why the lead singer was wearing a pink ballerina outfit?

#27 Surfguy, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  8. macalu

macalu Member

working there was a blast. cute girls everywhere.

i remember the awesome cool feeling of the fans as you waited an hour in line in the sweltering heat.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

I never saw any concert at the Summit nor the Sam Houston Coliseum, but I did see Juan Gabriel at the Toyota Center for the first concert of my life back in I believe 2003. I took my mom (no pics, emmeffers) and Mrs. SwoLy... I wonder if they have those pictures.

:)

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

We tried to sneak into a Night Ranger concert at Astroworld from the Waterworld park. We totally got caught. It was like a huge Astroworld security manhunt for us along the train tracks. We ended up in brush with thorns and huge ant hills we were dodging. I was in cheap flip flops so it's not like I could run and had bad scratches all over my legs from the thorns. I distinctly remember being under the Dexter Frebish at one point and they could see us during the ride. In the end, they let us go. Why we went to the trouble of sneaking into a Night Ranger concert...I'll never know. It was the worst idea. The funniest part is when Waterworld was closing...we basically we're supposed to be boarding the last train out and we made a run for it. So dumb and hilarious at the same time. You working there then, macalu? Did you hear about that or participate in the manhunt?

#30 Surfguy, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

This just goes to show that you can still rock in America. Oh yeah. Alright.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

We used to stop the Bamboo shoot ride in the middle of it all of the time and just get out. No idea why we did that at all and we'd scare the hell out of others when we would jump in their ride. We also had the fireworks show and the sky rail timed down to where we would get in with our dates for the day and end up being stuck in the air for 30 minutes for the show. Lots of stinky fingers and high fives.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

If they would have arrested us and then checked the van we came in, then we would have been up the creek so to speak. Back in those days, we used to go in and out of the parks back to the car in the parking lot to...let's say...party it up. Those were the best times.

14. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Member

My 6th grade choir sang there back in '95 during Christmas. So there's that.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Videocity after the sun went down.

16. dsnow23

dsnow23 Member

I saw Billy Idol, New Order, Depeche Mode, and Howard Jones there. Fun stuff. Especially the New Order show and the Billy Idol show. I was also there the day of the Night Ranger show, but we didn't actually watch Night Ranger.

17. macalu

macalu Member

i worked there from '95-'97. don't recall any fugitives on the run in the park. :)

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

What a shame that it is gone. Thought I would take my kids there someday. I loved all the work that went into Batman: The Escape. The overturned duck-mobile was probably my favorite park. It bugged the hell out of me though that you "escaped" to the other side of the loading platform.

Man the old Batman live action shows were so lame. I think they did Police Academy one year as well.

19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

Saw a bunch of those shows. And like surf guy said if they had searched us or our vehicles we would have been in serious trouble. Saw AC/DC, REM, and a friend Of mine has a picture of us and in one of those old Timey Western dress up photos right before the new order show and we were out of our minds messed up.

20. Austin70

Austin70 Member

I saw Autograph in 84.