1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Abu Dhabi tries to curtail oil and gas drilling in the US -- via Hollywood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Dec 18, 2012.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Why don't you both get a room.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

so you're willing to eliminate all the jobs for the hard working men and women who work on those wells? in the name of "more studies"?

lol you'd fit well in the Obama administration! Studies > jobs!

3. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Breathing silica dust can cause cancer? Oh noes! What doesn't cause cancer? I hope you don't keep you cellphone in your pocket or for that matter put it up to your ear to talk on. Your testicles and brain will thank you later in life, though your still likely to get cancer from myriad other things unrelated to fracking, yet where is the activism for those other things? I would imagine there are safety guidelines in place to mitigate things, like breathable carcinogens, in hazardous workplaces. Engineers at nuclear power plants don't work in their undies, for example.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Damon could have made an interesting film about the tradeoffs between energy development and environmental/health issues.

But nah, easier to go with the lazy hyperbole and caricature and conspiracy theories.

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Yep, considering the studies already being released, there are plenty of costs to count up---including the workers who would be exposed to toxic and dangerous conditions.

No need to derive maximum emphasis on present production before being fully aware of the nature of the beast. With debt deleveraging coming off, and if Eurozone and fiscal cliff worries evaporate, the economic recovery can sustain itself without grasping desperate short-term benefits that might cost deeply in the long run.

Or in your preference for short key takeaways, a la MBB---

If you want to rely on the science instead of Hollywood, then wait until the science settles.

i'd be down. depends on, I guess, if Texxx likes endless loops of terrible mid 2000s hip hop (something tells me no).

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Hope the movie is good. Don't give a frack either way about the issue.

7. Northside Storm

I've got a case that actually sleeps/deactivates my phone when not in use, which is handy. Thank you RIM for something, my cancer will be caused solely by my own devices (pun semi-intended)!

As opposed to being exposed at work. Oh, I'm sure they have protection, and everyone's on board with the dangers, just like when industry built asbestos into half the residential properties in America.

Which again gets back to my point---studies need to be commissioned and a scientific consensus established before America moves into a risky new activity. You don't know it's a lethal substance when moved until it's in half of the buildings in the industrialized world, and you need to pay to get it out of almost everything.

8. bigtexxx

lol what an academic you are. Jobs come first before endless "studies". You haven't even posted anything convincing regarding the harmful effects of fracking. You are aware that your native land, Canada has extensive fracking underway. And even your country's ultimate ruler, the UK, allows it.

you're on an island on this one -- right alongside the limousine liberals

think, people, think

9. Northside Storm

Well, America and Canada's mutual ruler (China) is oh so happy to hear you talk this way.

I myself actually think fracking is miles better than dirty coal (not that you ever asked or provided any substance for me to make this admission)---that's what you want to pin your arguments on, if you want to talk science and facts. However, fracking is a bridge solution at best, and buys time for some sort of renewable energy source. If the cost of that time is more than the benefit, then you simply don't pursue that route, and you find better opportunities for jobs that create societal value rather than destroy it.

#29 Northside Storm, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  10. bigtexxx

what do you think about your country's environmental record with the oil from the tar sands?

*snicker*

11. Northside Storm

A terrible slight on the record of Canada.

Fortunately, the progressive forces of Canada almost got a social democrat government elected (I must say I played a part in that, however slight), and in the next election with Mulcair on board, this wrong will be corrected.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lly-helped-mulcair-poll-shows/article4240912/

The oil sands are in fact feeding into anger at the ruling Conservatives. Do not be surprised if the social democrats take power.

And their first order of business with the tar sands is quite evident.

(you're getting terribly off-topic from your own thread though, I must say)

#31 Northside Storm, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. bigtexxx

That's because you have provided no evidence that fracking is truly dangerous. You've argued for endless studies. yawn

and all this coming from a country that's mining the tar sands, for crying out loud.

makes sense, though, as Canada stands to lose a lot if the USA continues this trend. Canada's already getting screwed to the tune of $30+ discounts to WTI on their oil. yuk yuk yuk

13. Northside Storm

um, sorry to burst your bubble, but while I don't think the science has truly settled, I have provided ample evidence that fracking is dangerous as is.

If you want to return to that topic we can continue going through study after study. However, I must point out that I mentioned, for example, the mass release of teratogens due to fracking. Someone who is truly pro-life would jump at that.

maybe it's the science. A teratogen is a substance proven to cause birth defects and possible fetal death.

Before you continue pointlessly going on funny old-thinking nationalist tangents, I need to state that I could less about Canada or America "winning or losing " as entities. Nationalist thinking is just a burden these days. To that point, your association with me and Canada is flattering, but I haven't quite reached the point where I can influence policy on such a scale. Flattering that you think I can though.

14. platypus

platypus Member

Do you even know what fracking is? Do you know why we do it? But yet you are defending it.

Fracking in the oil industry is artificially increasing a rocks porosity so that it can hold more oil. While it is effective it is certainly not environmentally friendly.

I don't mean to sound rude but anyone who works in oil understands this. It's a price you have to pay to increase production.

15. bigtexxx

lol yeah I work in the energy industry -- I know what fracking is

thanks for the google results though brah

16. platypus

platypus Member

Oh im sorry I should have cited my dusty old textbooks then...:rolleyes:

You're arguing about fracking not being environmentally harmful...i see why people avoid your threads.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

While I don't see how any of you could have the nerve to be pissed about it even if bigtexxx's allegations that AD is protecting its interests abroad were true, the reality is that Image Nation is not that strategically gifted, and does not receive direction from the government (though the Board which includes government-related figures may block something they don't like). So really the most you can say is that they don't dislike the theme of this movie, which is understandable not only to people of Abu Dhabi, but more than half of America and most of the world.

I myself am a huge supporter of American fracking mainly because I want Americans to have energy independence. The environmental hazards are negligble to me, as I estimate that the overall damage to humans in the world would be reduced.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I doubt you know anything about the science at all. Do you know what they pump down there. Guess what it isn't all water.

If you want argue jobs vs environment fine, but stop making up stuff that you have no idea about.

19. platypus

platypus Member

While I also support energy independence I believe we should do it more through the off shore route. The scary part is that we really do not know the extent of damage that franking will cause.

I'm afraid of another love canal incident where by pumping fluids into the ground we cause entire areas land to become hazard waste pools.

Right now offshore drilling is limited to drilling on the continental slopes of our coasts. (the area between shallow and deep water) But the real gold is in deep water.

However our technology is limited to drill in such deep waters but if we were to find a way to do it our oil production will skyrocket. I'm hoping that in the next decade this will be possible.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Apparently propaganda is a valid tool of capitalism and democratic politics. Investing in manipulating public opinion has a proven rate of return. Exxon can certainly afford their own movie. What have you got against the job creation in the movie industry?