1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Abstract basketball question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Der Rabbi, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Like most people here I've played pickup basketball my entire adult life. What are people's opinions of guys who scream at jumpshooters when they are shooting? I've always thought it pretty low. Not stick your foot under a shooter on the way down dirty, but in that ball park. In more competitive levels of basketball I've seen it make the offender the target of some enforcer level hard fouls. What's your opinion?

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

YOU PLAY THE GAME TO WIN!!!!

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Usually when someone does that to me I scream back at them after the ball goes thru the net. Eventually they stop screaming, while I keep draining J's in their grill.

4. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

It's also good to scream "your mother's a w****!" when your shot is at the height of its arc while simultaneously crashing the boards. Offensive rebounds ensue.

5. lean

lean Member

This. He'll usually shut up if you drain a few in his grill, but if not or if your jumper is off, put him on his ass next time he drives. If he gets mad and starts a fight you get to slug him... win-win.

...okay maybe I'm being a bit facetious, but still, I agree that yelling at jumpshooters excessively is both annoying and disrespectful. Contest the shot like a man or don't, the time to yell is when you are coming from behind someone shooting a layup. :)

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

What about clapping? Like timing a clap as he shoots? Only as you contest the shot though, not while you're away from the ball that would be r****ded.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'd clap this dude's face kung fu style then.:grin:
    Again, Playground is for real men, no dirty or cheap stuff allowed. Just 100% skill and determination.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's bush league

[​IMG]

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

"YOU ARE A GREAT BASKETBALL PLAYER, WITH EXCELLENT SKILLS!"

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I don't mind the screaming or the clapping, but one thing I've noticed people doing is lowering their shoulder and running toward you - as if they're going to perform a midair tackle - only to change course at the last second and run past you. Sometimes they tap you on the leg or in the stomach as they go by.

It's like pretending to punch someone in the face but pulling back at the last second and then tapping them on the cheek. To me that's too much, and you're bound to catch an elbow at my earliest convenience.

13. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

LOL! That happened to me at a tournament, dude did that to me on a corner three. A few plays later he did it again but this time I intentionally kicked my right leg out and almost kicked him in the nuts! He didn't do it again lol!!

14. arjun

arjun Member

my highschool basketbal coach taught me to tap the shooter in the stomach....and honestly, it really works.

as far as screaming n ****...its not low, its part of the game...in the real nba its not just the defender screaming, its like 20,000 fans....step ur game up and make the shot bud :rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I do not believe your coach told you that. It's illegal. I'd call FOUL on your ass EVERY TIME. :eek:

16. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

I've always taken the hard foul approach but as I get older I'm less inclined to up the contact level all that much. The one guy I had repeated issues with is a friend too and we've been arguing about it for years. I tell him I'd be dropping his butt if it were anyone else in a pickup game as I've done and seen done in the past. He was never really a "threat" to me game wise ... it just made the overall game more annoying. Maybe he would get one miss a day out of it from me.

17. arjun

arjun Member

i promise you my coach taught me that, from clements high school in fbisd.

and there was never a foul called on my ass you idiot..its a light tap on the stomach

18. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

In pickup ball it isn't the ref who sees or doesn't see the foul ... its the person you did it to. They'd call a foul on you generally.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why am I an idiot? :confused: Because I know the rules? If you touch the shooter, and moreover, intentionally to disrupt his shot, it's a foul. Read me any high school, college, or NBA rulebook that defines a foul.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I do that all the time, and I learned it from watching Jose Calderon.

Not sure if it works that well though.