1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Absolutely Must-Read Story on Thomas Robinson and his background

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRedemption, Jul 1, 2012.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...on-used-basketball-help-tragedy-espn-magazine

I really hope this guy succeeds. Its an absolute tragedy what happened to him.
    ALSO in before some douchebag says "Oh he's making millions, I don't feel bad for him."

EDIT: Here's a bonus video from ESPN on his story as well.
    <script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7494818&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

#1 RedRedemption, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Strong Kid,great talent, I wish the Bobcats picked him up.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Holy crap. Didn't know his story until just now; just know ESPN said something during the draft about overcoming something.

Doesn't matter if you make $1 / hour or $1,000,000 / hour. No amount of money can bring your family members back.

Hope Robinson succeeds with the Kings.

4. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Member

Unbelievable story. I've always been a huge believer in the effect of a player's character on his game. Strong, determined, mature players are the few that are capable of bringing their games night in and night out in this league. I wish Robinson all the best, and I'm confident that he will become a star.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Three family members dead in a few weeks. Wow.
    Also his father abandoned him and his only remaining close relative, his sister, is being taken in by the father that abandoned him.

He lost it all. Hope he finds peace in the game of basketball.

6. leebigez

leebigez Member

Yep, I knew this and this is why he will be a great player. He's gonna play with a purpose all the time.

7. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Bobcats really missed out ....
    Kings gonna be good!

8. Rockets_Texans

he deserves to succeed in the NBA

9. LandryMegaBeast

what a story.. guys gotta be strong to go through all of that.

I hope he has a long successful career in the NBA.. guys like that will play with a lot of heart.

Hope he can help raise his sister too

10. RV6

RV6 Member

Should have been the #2 pick. Even without knowing this story, you can see a certain motivation in his game...

11. C1UTCH-C1TY

C1UTCH-C1TY Member

12. amaru

amaru Member

I said it during the draft and I will say it again........I like this guy. I hope he gets custody of his sister.

13. amaru

amaru Member

14. alex_eg6

alex_eg6 Member

Wow, words cannot describe how he must feel and how strong of a young man he has to be for himself. He really has no one but his little sister. I hope he has a great NBA career. Will be rooting for him!

15. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Oh wow, I'll be rooting for him to have a successful career and I wish him well. But, none of that is really important, I hope he's doing okay in his personal life.

16. JD88

JD88 Member

Never been a more repeated story in the history of college basketball. Every KU game, literally, every UK game in comparing him against Davis for NPOY.

It got old after the 5th time I heard it. No offense to him but I must have heard it literally 20 times.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

My grandmother and dad died weeks apart 5 years ago. (I have 1 parent left from both sides, who I havent seen in over 10 years.) I became WORSE after, NOT more determined lol. If he perserveres, he's definitely a strong guy.

18. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

So sad man. Love how he kept his chin up all the way and his dedication to his sister. I feel silly for whinging at all the little things in life.

19. devil_blue

devil_blue Member

Robinson's story was pretty well documented during the past year of college basketball, but it's unreal how few people know about this, and how it received almost no coverage during the draft/time leading up to the draft. It even seemed in Simmons' latest diary that he wasn't completely aware of what the kid's been through... Major props to him though, the amount his game has developed since the tragedy is flat out amazing.

20. Stack24

Stack24 Member

I believe they said Jayla's father is not his father.