1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ABS Awesome computers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SLA, Nov 9, 2003.

1. SLA

SLA Member

Does anyone own a ABS Awesome computer? I am thinking about buying one off their website...ABS Awesome 3300 with some reconfiguration...

Athlon XP 2800+, 512mb of memory, 80 gb hard drive, nVidia GeForce FX 5600 Ulta graphics card, Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers, 17 inch NEC monitor, a keyboard and optical mouse, and all the basic things nowadays like a CD-RW and DVD-Rom drive. This would cost about 1200 bucks..including shipping. Does this sound good? They have gotten some good reviews from various magazines and websites.

What do you think about them?

2. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

[​IMG]

I think they look great.

3. SLA

SLA Member

How about cyberpowerinc.com

Their reviews..half are satisfied..half are not..

But they have quite a few mistakes on their site..doesn't look very professional. Has anyone bought a computer from them?

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That first post doesn't sound like that great of a deal to me. I've never heard of them, but thats not to say they arent any good. I havent been keeping up with hardware as much in the past year. Why not just go to Frye's or a place like that and pick out all the parts you want? Or if you're not that big into customization, I would just go with a big name company that you know would have a solid warranty and support, like Dell.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Try a place like www.resellerratings.com. Major online retailers are on there. Local mom & pop stores probably aren't.

6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

The computer I'm on right now came from them. When they shipped it to me, the CD-RW drive did not work. I called and asked what was wrong with it, and the technician told me to jiggle the cable. I did. It worked for 5 minutes before I had to call back again. They said take out the cable and re-seat it. I did that as well. I had to call back the next day. After being on hold for almost an hour, the technician told me this time that the CD-RW had known problems, and they had replaced many of them. I mailed it to them so they could send me a replacement. A few weeks later, I got the replacement but no ribbon cable with it (they had asked me to send the original cable in with the broken drive). I just bought my own cable. Then, my CD burning program that I bought with the computer stopped working because it was only licensed to work with the original broken drive. I called again, waited on hold again, and then was told they'd send me a new installation CD. It didn't arrive. I called them back after a few weeks and almost yelled at them. The manager, in the background (I could hear him on the phone) was telling the technician not to give me anything. When the manager stopped talking, the technician said he would definitely get me the right installation CD. A week later it arrived, and I installed it. When I tried to use it, it wouldn't work - said it was only licensed to work with a different drive altogether. I didn't bother calling them back.

About 9 months after I bought the computer, the power supply burned out and I replaced it myself.

Yes, it was a cheap price for the computer. I suspect they use off-market seconds for their parts though (parts that didn't pass a rigorous inspection).

Ain't worth it.

And I'm just happy that I may have prevented Cyberpower from getting more business, the bastards.

Try eBay! Seriously, you can read the feedback and get a pretty good idea of what the seller is offering (there are many stores that work solely through eBay). You will probably get a barebones system, or one with RAM and a harddrive and everything but the monitor, but everything is pretty easy to install.

7. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Where'd you get that picture of me?