1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Abrams' Star Trek

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hayesfan, May 2, 2009.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I know there is another thread for this somewhere, but I couldn't find it (if someone in the crew can search and merge this with it I'd appreciated it)

Anyway, saw a sneak preview this morning!

Let me preface this by saying I am by no means a Star Trek fan. I have seen some of the episodes of the original, new generation and enterprise... and I have seen exactly one of the movies.

With that said, I really enjoyed this movie. There was a packed house for the preview that started at 10:30 am.

Now spoilers

I really liked the storyline that they came up with. They basically created a new timeline... through time travel by a group of Romulans. In the new timeline Kirk's father was killed trying to fight off the attack of the future Romulans and it changes the history of the series.

As I said I'm not a huge fan of the original stuff. But this recreation by JJ and Orci is funny, full of action and the actors for the most part were fantastic.

I really do recommend seeing it, even if you weren't a fan of the originals. There is a lot of backstory that they give in this so that it doesn't matter what level of knowledge you have of the franchise you can and likely will enjoy it.

:)

2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Hayesfan

LOL like I said I knew there was a thread for it (didn't realize there were five) but I guess I didn't go far enough into the pages since I couldn't search I got lazy.

Thanks!

4. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no prob.

this is as good of a thread as any discuss the movie.

who's in for a midnight thursday (technically fri) showing?

i want to see all the dedicated fans that dress up... it's worth the price of admission alone.

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Please say that isn't going to happen, I was going to go since I'm off the next day...nevermind.

I'll go a week later with a friend or family ... ;)

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

what makes non trekkies interested in this movie? theres underwear in the preview? the fact jj abrams has his hand in it?

its just strange to me as someone who's been to a couple conventions and appreciates the wonderful lameness of it all. is sci fi cool now?

as long as it gets people interested in science. the future is gonna be coo fo sho.

7. A00man

A00man Member

Bingo.

I have not seen a single Star Trek episode or a Star Trek movie, but this is my most anticipated of the summer movies this year. The trailer and the fact that Abrams is behind it did it for me. I will be going Saturday at IMAX (would go Friday but Rockets/Lakers game that night).

8. Hayesfan

Reasons I went to see it -

It was free

JJ Abrams has produced two of my favorite series, Alias and Lost

Quinto is a good actor and I love him in Heroes

Plus, It was free.

In all honesty, I have been to Sci -fi conventions, mainly Dragoncon... but I think Sci-fi is where all the good storylines are lately, so people like me, who enjoy good writing and good acting have gravitated towards it.

Things like BSG, Heroes, Fringe, LOST (sort of scifi), all the comic book movies are where a lot of smart writers and producers are working. So that's why I wanted to see it.

This is not your father's Star Trek by any means. The characters are the same, the name of the ship is the same, but that's about it.

#8 Hayesfan, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  9. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

The trailer makes it look like a badass movie, regardless of what its title is. I have watched like 0 episodes of the TV show and one of the movies, and I think it looks like an awesome movie.

10. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I just read the spoiler and I was excited to see it but not now.

Man that is weaksauce for a plot.

11. HAYJON02

i didnt mean to sound like a nerdsnob. its awesome to see star trek make a comeback. as long as it doesnt become the fast and the furious in space haha. as long as its about:

"space. the final frontier. these are the voyages of the starship enterprise. its 5 year mission, to explore strange new worlds. to seek out new life, and new civilizations. to boldly go where no man has gone before..."

12. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

i haven't read any spoilers, but i don't think it's gonna be like that anymore... i think your analogy of the fast and the furious in space is probably right... or at least more like star wars to get the mainstream people. that doesn't mean it can't be good though. afterall, it has a 100% fresh rating on rotten tomatoes... and paramount has already given the go ahead for a sequel (even before the first one has aired)...

13. HAYJON02

I'll expect that itll be more stimulating that the last couple treks (insurrection and nemesis) and im thrilled to see them take a chance castingwise on my UNGUS-esque soldiers simon pegg and john cho. Screen presence in comedies too often masks talent. It's been the case with a lot of comedian actors. Plenty of examples. I'm most concerned about McCoy. Scotty is covered. Pegg will be a mighty Scotty. May he get good and fat for the sequels.

14. Hayesfan

It's entirely possible that my description doesn't do it justice.

All of the people in this version of the story are the same, but how they get to the point where Jim is captain and Spock is first officer is in actuality pretty cool.

What happens is that in the future Spock, the one we know - Leonard Nemoy cameo - agrees to help the Romulans and keep an exploding star from destroying their planet. His plan is to create a black hole that will suck all the nasty from space before it reaches their planet.

He has the materials, but is too late and when he sends his "red stuff" to suck everything out, the planet has already been destroyed.

So basically when the black hole starts to take everything out it sucks the Romulan ship in and sends it back in time.

When they get there, they find a federation ship and attack, which is the ship on which George Kirk and his wife are having their baby, James Tiberius ;) The current captain is hailed by the Romulan, Nero, and asked to board their ship. He does so leaving Kirk in charge.

When it becomes apparent that the Romulans have no intention of letting them live Kirk evacuates the ship and as his son is born he crashes the ship into the Romulans.

Hence changing the time line from the original story where our Jim Kirk was close to his father.

So the rest of the story is how even though the past has changed they still end up all together. Spock, Kirk, McCoy, etc.

It's a well told story and even though I didn't know the history originally they explain it in a good way.

Basically they can continue this time line with more freedom and the same characters that everyone enjoyed.

The movie basically ends where that starts.. so the end is Nemoy doing that soliloquy

#14 Hayesfan, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  15. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Yeah I think they basically needed to have more freedom unless they wanted a 20 man (person) research team to make the story fit.