1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Moneygetjealous

Yao is a great player and one of the best centers in the NBA today. He can put up good numbers and be our go to guy sometimes. But I realized some things about Yao I just wanted to point out. He is the face of the Houston Rockets but and we see him as our franchise player. But I realized that he is dependent on another star like Tracy or Ron Artest. Yao is basically useless without Ron or Tracy. With Tracy or Ron is playing alongside Yao, then he is a really good player. He can score big, and rebound at times. But without either one of them playing, for some reason Yao don't have any confidence in himself. For instance, the game against the Grizzlies when Tmac and Ron sat out. Yao is a liability out there in the court. I know that when Ron or Tmac isn't playing, teams will just gain up on Yao so it's hard for him to put up big numbers. I understand that. But when Yao was sitting out last year, Tmac and the Rockets had no problem winning without Yao Ming. But if let's say Tmac would have broken something instead of Yao last year....can anyone believe that the Rockets will still reach the 22 streak with Yao instead of Tracy? This year win Tony Parker and Manu were out, Tim Duncan as old as he is, still carried his team and beat us. Tim Duncan still managed to put up great numbers with players swarming him. I just don't understand why Yao Ming cannot get us a win for his life if Tmac and Ron is sitting out. I think the Rockets have a better chance of winning with just Artest playing than Yao. I'm not bashing on Yao or anything. I just think that I come to realized that Franchise players carries their team. Yao Ming is a good player, best center the Rockets ever had since Hakeem. Unfortunately he is more of a role player than star player. With Tmac and Ron playing with Yao, then he plays more like a star player. Without Tmac or Ron, Yao is more like a role player.

2. Moneygetjealous

sorry that my grammar is bad. I am a little drunk typing this up.

3. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

probalby cuz without both ron and t-mac, it's easier for teams to triple and double yao without worrying about our scrubs beating them. That's just unfortunately true.

4. crunch

crunch Member

Yao is useless probably because he is drunk all the time.

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Yaos more of the Pau Gasol mold. Superstar stats, but not really a floor leader. Put him with another star though and he'll perform better without all the pressure.

6. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

It s not a big man's game. Plus Yao is slow, and makes up for it with finesse. He is always going to need a complimentary superstar.

7. MD_in_Training

In other breaking news, the sky is blue.

8. newengland

newengland Member

To OP - What else did you do? Got pulled over also?

9. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Now this is interesting...

Yao isn't a Franchise Player?

Okay, well, maybe that's true of about...

...maybe 4 out of 32 teams in the NBA...

Yao Ming has his limitations. I understand that he gets frustrated by some of them more than the rest of us. But there are only about four teams in the league who would actually waste time thinking about whether having Yao Ming on their team would be a good thing or not.

Yao needs the people with the basketball to get him the basketball in places and at times where he can do the most damage. Most centers don't bring the ball up the court themselves.

Somebody might want to actually remind Yao that, at 7'6'', it's not in his teams' best interests to get outrebounded by people a full foot shorter than he is.

Yao has a tremendous amount of skill for somebody his size. He really does. So it isn't as instinctive for him to use the only real asset and advantage he has in the NBA over the competition: his size.

Saying Yao too often plays down to the competition isn't just a bad pun. It's the truth.

In the NBA, your reach determines your height and lenght as much as anything. The league is filled with people of freakish athleticism. They may be 6'9'', but their athleticism lets them play at about 7' routinely. That's the thing about the NBA.

We see Yao try to counter the athleticism he plays against far too much with his own athleticism. He tries to out-quick or out-jump or out-race people.

That's silly for him to do. Fighting fire with fire isn't what he should be doing.

I know that Yao Ming isn't Shaquille O'Neal or Dwight Howard. He's actually a little more like Tim Duncan than anybody else right now.

But Yao doesn't have to be any of those guys. He'd do a lot better if;
    1) he didn't get pushed around like a rag doll as often as he does. Yao spends more time on the court than the tile. I know Yao is officiated a bit differently than most, but he's got to be stronger. He doesn't have to be a bully or a bulldozer like Shaq. But he's GOT to stay on his feet. Which brings me to
    2) Yao has to keep his hands up. Getting good low post position is tough to do, especially when the WWE wouldn't let some of those guys get away with what they do to Yao. But Yao's hands are always too low, on offense or defense. It's not necessarily how TALL a guy is, remember. It's how high he can reach. If Yao kept his hands at least at shoulder height, instead of in his pockets, he'd be better than he already is. Lots better.

Yao Ming has to be BIG. Not faster. Just bigger.

10. Wayne Keith

Wayne Keith Member

Really bull****.

You can use Olajuwan to replace Yao's name. Maybe it also makes sense if you were in early 1990s.

Can a super centre get the champion only by himself?
    Can one game decide everything?

I still remember how the 22 streak began. It was Yao who tried his best to beat the Golden States without Tracy. That Game Yao scored 36 and got 19 rebounds. Wasn't it great?

I don't understand why you just see Yao's absence in the last 10 wins, and neglect his contribution to the first 12? 21.5 scores, 11 rebound, are you sure Tracy could win all the 11 games without Yao?

Tracy and Ron stand outside controling the ball, and decide whom they want to pass it to. Inside-out, this tactics is to be carried out when the ball is sent to the inside. A real Houston's fan can see when the tactics is excuted well, how wonderful the game is proceeded. It's not just Yao's mistake that Rockets lose games. Teammates don't trust each other. A team doesn't perform like a team. Ron has said they usually forget the strongest point when they are in the game. Yao is really worthwhile. If you don't like him, and Rockets don't need him, then I'm glad to see how many teams would accept Yao. I think the number will be 29~~~

Please be a real supporter of Rockets. Rockets have a rather good line-up and what the team needs is just waiting for the chemitry change. If they play well together, like a team, I think another long streak is not far behind. Please refer to the 22 streak as few as you can. it's past tence, and maybe will never happen again.

Rockets will rise to the highest when they keep the right direction. I support them!!!

姚明加油!

11. syl378

syl378 New Member

Yao is just a centre,so he needs ball that passed in the right time and right place.He's not good at dribblling like other big men.

12. Wayne Keith

Wayne Keith Member

I'm sorry I didn't spell some words correctly....chemisty change...past tense...

I'm Chinese and an English learner. I support Yao and love Rockets' game. Happy can be here and discuss with the lative Houston's fans. I'm sorry that I said a dirty word at the beginning. But I really hate to see unresponsible blame on Yao. In some aspects he may be not well enough, but he doesn't just have weakness.

Please be fair when you talk about him.

Thank you.

13. Carladyfan

Carladyfan Member

yes i understand you i, am asian myself but grammar am very bad, can pls tell me why your name is wayne keith very unique it is, for chineseman name. ;)

14. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

Thanks for the support

15. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

WTF....all of this rant based on one game without our other two stars.

Try pairing Yao with a ligit point guard who can penetrate and attract defense. See what Yao would be able to bring you. When you have a bunch of scrubs trying to feed the ball to yao, it simply doesn't work.

16. djimi

djimi Member

totally agreed on this, those days when they had the old illegal defense rule, big centers rule the court cos there's no way u can front a center like what most defenses do to Yao. it would be an automatic illegal defense called. he just needs to concentrate on his rebounds and defense and rotate the ball more. i still think Barry will eventually be very useful in this sense, where he will be the one giving the entry pass and when they double, he pass it back out for the open 3. barry and ron just needs to get used to the system.

17. dave18

dave18 Member

hey, you guys can say whatever you like about YAO. But that doesn't change anything. YAO has always been the most hardworking player in Rockets and even the league. He is not a gifted athlete, but he makes it up with hardworking and spirit. In his debut season, almost all commentators and fans doubted him. Can anybody imagine what kind of pressure was that? Do you remember how people on the bench laughed at him when he fell down in the game against Suns (or some other team, I am not sure.)? People were just waiting to see a big joke. But YAO never gave those a damn ****! All he did was working harder and harder. Don't just look at the numbers (which is not bad for YAO, btw,), basketball is always something more than that!

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

...About Paragraphs...

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If Yao played under the old rules of "illegal defenses" he would be much more effective.

DD

20. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Yao does have a tendency to get thrown off in games, but so does every player. It happens occasionally. he's not a machine.

Since Yao is more dependent than most scorers on team mates getting him the ball in certain spots, there are going to be games where he is not nearly as effective as he can be. There are certain teams that can give him problems, but most great player are less effective against certain opponents or certain defensive strategies. Your team has to be strong enough to counter it.

Yao is a fantastic player, and I really think he's underappreciated. Yeah he's tall, but the way he has developed as a player and a person since entering the NBA is special. Working back from all of those injuries and to remain one of the best players in the league takes a certain inner toughness that Yao brings to the team. I want to see playoff success to, but seriously How can you not love the guy?