1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

About The O.Casspi/R.William Free Agency Pick-Up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jah, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jah

Jah Member

At the salaries Morey inked to sign Casspi, Williams, Brooks and possibly M. Camby along with the 2.5 room exception, that could total to 6.5 millions. Guess who we could have signed at that price? One of two quality guards in Monta Ellis and Jarret Jack.

Jarret Jack signed a 20 million dollar contract with the Cavs for 3 year( 6.5 millions a season). Monta Ellis inked a 25 million dollars contract for 3 years with the Mavs. Either of those guys would have been a better fit than Casspi/Williams/Brooks combined.

A one-year deal for a shot at a Championship could have sold either of those guys. What's intriguing, Ellis said this summer that he wanted to join D.Howard. Monta Ellis have torched the Rockets every time we meet. How could Morey not have sign Monta Ellis or J.Jack?? A missed opportunity, for borderline bench talents in Casspi/Williams/Brooks.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It doesn't work that way. All the players that you referenced Morey signing are for the league minimum. You can sign as many of those as you like when you are over the cap. Ellis signed a contract that the Rockets couldn't sign him to. They could not go over the cap for more than a league minimum contract or the room exception of $2.5 million. You can't add them up either.

On top of all that, are you crazy? You want to add Monta Ellis to this team?

1 person likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So you are proposing that Morey tries to combine the room exception and multiple minimum salary exceptions in order to create a bigger $6.5M exception and use it to sign a player to a co tract starting at $6.5M a year?

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

No missed opportunity, just Morey understanding cap rules.

1 person likes this.
  5. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This is such a terrible thread on many levels. One, having absolutely zero understanding of cap rules, two, suggesting signing Monta Ellis???

Why don't we combine twenty minimums and sign Lebron next year?

7. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

U should slowly learn the rule of CBA

8. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

haha NOOB

I wish it was that easy!

9. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Ellis is subtraction by addition.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I am disappoint.

I thought this thread was going to be a disscusion on Casspi and Williams and thier roles on the team.

11. Jah

Jah Member

Well, my understanding is that you ca use the room exception of 2.5 and combine it with available cap-space. If my thinking is incorrect then I don't mind being corrected. Just curious though, is M.Miller choose the Rockets, aren't we using the room exception to sign him? How does room exception differs from cap space?

12. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

OP has to be a troll. Nobody can really be this clueless, can they?

14. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

CBA rules aside:

Give me 3 really good role players on great team friendly contracts than 1 bad player on a terrible contract that no team in the NBA would trade for. And yes, its well documented that Monta Ellis is a bad WINNING NBA basketball player. He can score, but at great costs to the teams success.

Ellis' contract is 3 years and rumoured to be up to 30 million guaranteed....

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...nta-ellis-officially-signs-with-the-mavericks

I dont know where your 6.5 mil price tag, but even at that rate, its still not a great contract.

Jack is a nice player, but this team is stacked with good PG's. What difference would Jack make on this team other than take minutes away from a superior defender in Beverley. On a team who was one of the best offensively last year, and one of the worst defensively.... I'd rather those minutes go to Beverley.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

"I knew Jah before his thread-starting privileges were revoked."

1 person likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well the fundamental difference between the room exception and cap space is that the room exception is an exception and cap space is cap space.

We only have access to the room exception because we used all of our cap space to sign Dwight Howard. That left us with 0 cap space. Once we are at 0 cap space in this offseason we only could sign players to veteran minimum contracts OR the room exception.

All the players you mentioned were signed to veteran minimum deals. They cannot be combined all together to create one big salary.

18. Jah

Jah Member

So, the Room Exception allow us to go over the cap without penalty? I suppose that's how it works? Since we're already over the cap but my point would make sense BEFORE we signed Casspi, Williams and Brooks. See?

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You clearly have no clue how the CBA works. Go learn something about it before you decide to flame the front office. All you accomplished was making yourself look ignorant... which you clearly are.

BTW, heres a clue. The Rockets do not and did not have 6.5 million to spend on 1 player.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Jah and Bong Dong are good friends.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.