1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ABC] Fox Sports Grill charges Rocket fans $75 for viewing party

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, May 8, 2005.

1. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I'm sorry you had to go through that man... It sucks... I'm a fan first and when I heard that ish, I thought at first it was the Rockets doing that, then I was told it was the bar...

Hey Stack24... If you ever need the TUNDRA at your bar, get at me... No more Fox Sports Grill appearances for me or TUNDRA..

LIVE SPORTS from now on...

2. twoniner

twoniner Member

You didn't miss out on the overpriced POS drinks that place serves. I seriously think Fox Sports Grill invented their own brand new mixed drink glass for the sole purpose of ripping you off.

3. u851662

u851662 Member

Wont catch me there ever again. I watched the Rockets Vs. Pheonix game there at the end of the regular season. The setup is nice, but the food and price's get a big thumbs down. I had to make 2 different orders just to get full and I ended up paying around 25-30 for my order alone. I charged it to the game, and chalked it up as one bad visit. But after reading about this, I dont think you'll catch me there anymore bad move FOX Sports Grill....

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

I went there with my brother and a friend. Of course when we found out about the stupid charge we didnt go in. I could have gone to Dallas and watched the game in person for that much. :rolleyes:

There was some chick outside yelling and hollering at the management. When the manager came outside she started screaming that everyone should "boycott" them. The manager said, "Boycott us...I dont care...we have bills to pay" :rolleyes:

Safe to say I wont every go there again.

5. yaomania

yaomania Member

I don't believe i've ever been more pissed off about something at work. I was hoping we'd just pull the plug and pull out and take RPD Clutch Tundra and all our prizes and show up at Champps or BW3 or any other place. It would've been unfair to everyone who paid plus we had advertised we would be there.

I'd like to apologize to everyone who showed up last night and had to find some other place to watch the game. Suffice to say, we were upset over how the whole thing went down.

6. tim562

tim562 Member

Thats wrong....just by reading this info, I will never go there.

7. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

$75 dollars to watch a playoff game at a restaurant?

Most places in New York don't charge that much for New Years.

That's ridiculous, no one should pay that much to watch something on TV.

8. Davidoff

Davidoff Member

So who's fault is it that we know of that let the ads go out that it was free?? Did Fox Sports Grill pull a fast one, Did the Rockets look over the fine print, Did 610 mess up?? Is someone at fault besides the grill?? I've never been, but now I will never go for sure.. that's just wrong..

9. yaomania

yaomania Member

Neither the Rockets, Sportsradio 610 nor Toyota knew anything about the charge until sometime around 4pm the afternoon of the game.

It is not the policy of the Rockets to charge for viewing parties that they advertise as free.

10. Cohen

Cohen Member

What a bunch of bull****.

How does this control the crowd? It just pisses them off. Seems more likely that women's purses would get snatched ... to help pay the d*mn cover.

11. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

No, he figured if you take everyone's money, there won't be any incentive to steal. What a noble guy huh?

12. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Member

$75 to watch a game in a bar? Talk about highway robbery.......:mad:

13. Nick

Nick Member

If FSG is having to charge $75 to people to watch a game that is going to be free, its safe to say that they've got problems that are not going to be solved anytime soon... and likely will lead to them closing up.

Seriously... this bad press pretty much killed any profit they would have made last night from the people who actually did pay.

All they needed to do (if they were that worried about crowd control) was limit the total # of people allowed in. They would have made plenty just on drink and food sale alone... and hell, maybe somebody would have actually enjoyed it and come back in the future for something other than just a game.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

So true. The bad press is really not worth the few thousand dollars they made last nite.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I really hope this place goes out of business.

That is just ridiculous.

16. Chance

Chance Member

Guys there is SOOOO much that I want to say that I have to hold my tongue on. I truly apologize to the 610 listeners that showed up.

I will leave it at this: I was disgusted at the level of corporate greed I witnessed behind a thinly veiled guise of "crowd control". It was shallow and repulsive. I am embarrassed by my involvement and am sorry to my listners.

Stack, gimme ashout sometime.

17. Stack24

Stack24 Member

Okay this coming from a bar owner...they can get into some major trouble for charging to watch a free event like this playoff game....we have had so many days where we had to waive cover on a saturday club night because people were coming in to watch the game.

If i am not mistaken they can be fined unless they say the charge was for something else like a "PRIVATE PARTY" and not for the rockets viewing party which is of course BS and we all know it...

That's the reason that we pay like 200 or something a month just for regualr sports channels on DIrect TV cause we are a bar making money off of it. The pay per view events are like thousdands of dollars becasue we can charge cover like for boxing.

But for an event that is also on a local feed and stuff they are not supposed to be charging you money for it...unless the rules have changed....

It's pretty pathetic that they would charge you that much to watch it. In comparison when we had the superbowl in Houston we were the only place in downtown that had the game on with a lot of space so we had pre sold tables for 100 a person which people were paying but for god's sake that was the Superbowl and there was a decent reason for charging that much....

But for a local sporting event like this..the only thing your going to do is make sure you never get customers coming back...

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Is that a local thing Stack24? I know that this is common (well not this high) for ESPNZone. At least the ones I've been to (and will never go back to again).

19. Stack24

Stack24 Member

I just heard something a while back..or maybe me and my partner decided not to charge during local events..i guess im not completly sure on that...but the principle behind it is just wrong..

You will make just enough money at the bar and sales if you let peopel in to enjoy it...why charge to see something they can watch at home..it's nothing special or differnt like a boxing event you know...where they don't wanna pay 49 bucks so they pay us 20 to come watch at the bar....it's ridiculous and i can't believe it happened at Fox Grill or Yao's for tha matter...

What sucks is since they came into town and they have a deal with the Rockets and Astros..we kind of get the short end of it...we have had the Astors Radio show there in the offseason the past 2 years and we sponser the astros with a decent amount (of course nothing like FOX or any big company can do) but they were telling us taht we might lose that because FOX Grill is going to push since they show the games they ahve tod o the show and the astros themselves say they don't want to go and would like to continue with us but all this Corporate crap is getting annoying and stupid..not for business but mainly for the Fans of the game..which i was before i ever got a sports bar...

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hear ya man. You have one of the best, if not the best sports bar in town. You'll be around longer than they will, I predict.