1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Rodgers named NFL MVP

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ScolaIsBallin, Jan 31, 2015.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Wait what?

I actually did get to watch more of Rodgers and the Packers than I would have preferred too(I had to watch because of Chris Banjo and Sam Barrington).

You really want to tell me Romo wasn't close to him this season? In terms of what- highlight plays? Evading tacklers? What exactly because I can name at least 3 qbs and maybe more that do both things-since we're not just talking about stats.

Stats wise take out the 38/5 and was he that much better than Romo? More valuable to the Cowboys than Romo? Heck no.
    Same with the Colts and Luck. Same with the Steelers and Roethlisberger and Pats and Brady. 4 QB's who didn't post similar TD/INT #'s but were in the same realm or bested Rodgers in other statistical categories. Non stats? Rodgers doesn't do anything else I haven't seen Roethlisberger, Romo(prior to his back officially becoming nothing but cardboard pieces) and Luck do.

You're right when you say JJ did stuff no other DLinemen or OLB could do or did. With the exception of the TD/INT ratio, Rodgers didn't do anything that Romo, Luck or

2. ferrari77

Sorry but why do you say that's what available? In what way( I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what you mean when you say that).

Like you said Rodgers could be replaced by Brady but one can't just go out and get a Tom Brady from any team in the league(although a small handful of teams have QB's on par or close enough to Brady in terms of performance this seasoN) You can go get a middling QB just like you can go get a middling DT/DE but you can't go out and find or get on ANY team in the NFL, a player that is basically a DT/DE hybrid like Watt.

Nowhere did I imply if Brady or Romo didn't exist then Rodgers would be more valuable to the Packers. He is valuable to them because he is what they have but if every other QB was available on the market and they didn't have Rodgers, Brady or Romo could do for them what Rodgers did. If every other DT or DE was on the market, none could do what Watt did for the Texans. All the QB's you and I mentioned are highly valuable but moreso than Watt was this season for the Texans? I dunno. I don't know if my method of valuating the players is the best route but I'm not sure yours is either.

Meh, not like it matters anyway. Neither of us have votes and the votes have already been cast. What's done is done. Blah.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

30 Sacks...Watt needs to set out to shatter the sack record...its his only chance at getting an MVP. Its what voters only care about anyways...

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Luck still hasn't learned how to protect the ball. Plus, he doesn't have the arm to make some of the throws Rodgers makes.

Romo had the best o-line and best running game in the NFL last season. You can at least make a case for him being in the same class.

If you saw what I saw, then we'll just have to disagree. Rodgers was very special. Between the ears, he's far ahead of Luck (who maybe just needs a little more time). Neither Luck or Romo have the arm strength to complete passes Rodgers executes regularly. I love Jordy Nelson, but if Rodgers wasn't his QB, you wouldn't hear his name nearly as often. Dez is twice the receiver.

Interesting discussion.

5. ferrari77

You're right about Luck and ball protection(but he is just in his 3rd year). Gotta disagree re. his arm strength though. Definitely agree with you about Romo's O-line and running game but Rodgers had a pretty decent O-line as well and I bet Roethlisberger and Luck would take Rodgers O-line every day over what they had. Luck would probably have enjoyed having Eddie Lacy to help as well.

No doubt you're right about Luck needing a bit more time to get where Rodgers is mentally though. I do feel Romo's injuries and surgeries(his back) has him affected him to the point where his arm strength and ability to make the passes he previously used to make regularly affected him yet he was still very efficient and quite excellent for most of the season. For sure you're right about Dez. Any QB would benefit from having a Dez to throw to(or a Megatron but we can save the Stafford convo for some other time), I still think Jordy would be just as great as he is now if he were playing with Romo, Brady, Luck or Roethlisberger and was their #1 receiver.

Overall though I guess we'll just have to disagree on Rodgers "specialness".
    Anyway, no point in me going on and on about this stuff, not like we are making an argument that would change the vote lol.

6. downbytheriver

He's young and lord willing stays healthy for the next decade [JJ]. He'll have his chances and by that I mean smith will have his chance to surround him with actual players. Clowney being healthy should help. We gave away Mario and Connor for no thing and they were top 3 in sacks last year so need to retain talent as well as find it. I think it will be one of those things where his name will pop up every season and he will get it later in his career based on rep.

7. BleedsRocketRed

They need to ditch the MVP and split it into two award

Offensive player of the year
    Defensive player of the year

Make them equal in importance, have only defensive players eligible for DPOTY and offensive players for the OPOTY. If a player plays both, then make it a minimum amount of plays/downs played to qualify.

Done.

The MVP in the NFL is flawed due to the difference in O and D. It's essentially two separate teams. You cant have one award for both sides