1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 13, 2007.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The same people that measured Brooks are the same people that measured Conely. Conely is exactly 1" taller than Brooks...period. To argue against that is just idiotic.

http://www.draftexpress.com/measurements.php?year=2007

Brooks is 5' 11 3/4" in shoes
    Conely is 6' 0 3/4" in shoes

The Rockets who did their own pre draft measurements also had Brooks at this hieght so this argument that Brooks is barely 5' 10" is really old.

Both Brooks and Conely have great vertical but we all saw Brooks on display at the summer league with some of his arial acrobatics. I don't know that one will neccesarily be able to finish better than the other since Conely is very clearly not 3 inches taller than Brooks...unless it is in someones dreams.

2. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

brooks is better than conley

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Maybe at the moment. Brooks is 3 years older and therefore should be more NBA ready this season. But other than shooting, tell me why Brooks will become a better NBA player than Conley. I'm rooting for AB to be all he can be, but down the road (or maybe sooner) Conley will pass him up. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see AB developing into a 35 mpg starting PG. Conley should be exactly that.

4. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

Havn't watched any LVSL games, so how is Brook's post feeding?

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I don't know much about Conley but I think most GM's would disagree, seeing Brooks didn't get drafted that high.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The post play of the summer team was non-existent at times. Brooks showed great court vision, far beyond what most people that he had. He shot very well and proved he could score multiple ways. At the same time, he ran the offense well enough that when he left the game, things bogged down. The key (IMO) was that Brooks was still effective on offense even when he wasn't scoring. His main flaw was playing out of control but the last 2-3 games he solved that problem. One early game he had 9 TOs and that's all anyone talked about. The next game he had zero.

To answer your question: I guess his height could be a problem feeding the post from outside, but I doubt it. He sees openings pretty well and doesn't need a perfect angle to make a good pass.

7. Fighting-SF3

Fighting-SF3 Member

It's sound like Brooks seemed ideal in your opinion.He is a good guy,but I think he need practise a lot,for he is too young,and didn't have enough actual combat experience.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Conley - OVERRATED

A high draft pick that essentially got there by his gold medal track athlete father teaming him up with Oden in high school and college in order to get him promoted.

He will struggle in the NBA...........because he can't shoot it! Write it down. He will struggle in the NBA because he can't shoot it!

9. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you seen him play? Who carried that team against Xavier when Oden was on the bench? You can make a case for Lewis, but Conley took over late with lay-ups, jumpers, and great defense. He may not shoot that well, but he CAN get to the hole and is extremely gifted as a passer. I would compare his quickness to Tony Parker and he may develope a floater. Rod strickland couldn't shoot either. ;)

10. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

Good info. Thanks.

11. Fuse

Fuse Member

San Antonio/Phoenix would of drafted him with their pick. There is a reason why he could potentially called a steal of the draft. The only reason he was not drafted higher was because of his size. I think many also underestimate the mental strength of this kid.

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Then why, o wise one, wasn't he drafted in the Top 15?

#172 thumbs, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Because Conley had the hype of the Final Four.

14. Fuse

Fuse Member

Playing with Oden also did not hurt.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I personally think Conley has more talent than TJ Ford and is in the talent level of Paul/Williams (though rawer because those guys left as juniors). Ohio State was a great team even when Oden was out, Conley made it all go, I thought he was tremedous.

I was high on Brooks before the draft because I saw he be the most unstoppable player in the Pac-10, but Conley IMO s another level higher of raw talent.

16. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

conley will be the most disappointing pick of this years draft

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

He might be dissappointing this year because Lowry and Stoudamire will compete for minutes and Memphis doesn't have a very talented or cohesive group where he can use his talents.

But I have little doubt he will be a player. I'd say Brewer, Noah, both Wrights, Yi, all bigger bust factors. And if I was wagering who would be the 3rd best player in this draft after Durant and Oden in 5 years it would be him. I don't think Horford touches him in upside and Atl made a mistake.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OK, Mr. Preposterous Prognosticator. ;)

My vote goes to Joking Noah. I don't think Greg Oden will exactly be a bust, but he will disappoint and won't come close to the hype.