1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks says he's back with the Rockets!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jul 18, 2013.

1. dje243

dje243 Member

I agree with him about Smith and Bev. People here I think underestimate Smith. Guy is alreadycapable of being backup center for a lot of teams and he's super young.

2. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Pelton isn't arguing from statistics, and he's talking about a completely different context. He's arguing that the Rocket's front office thinks they can find useful role players on the cheap, and therefore they are willing to move anyone with a salary that is significantly larger than the league minimum.

Also, the entire statement you quote from the article is conjecture and broad analysis. He's not saying he knows what's going on in the Rocket's FO - he's just guessing. For all he knows, they have surveyed the PG market and don't think they can come up with anyone better than Brooks this year (hence why they didn't sign him until now to a one-year deal).

You can throw as many names with tweets out there as you want, but I'm more than happy to talk about the actual, hard numbers and analysis those names produce. I was reading Bill James before Moneyball was published, and Nate Silver is just as prone to making errors as any other human being. That's why you read what is being written, not who is writing it.

In baseball, there's a funny acronym that people sometimes use to describe the draft. TINSTAAPP - There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect. Pitchers are an extreme example, but in reality it applies to every single player you draft. And, the same applies for pretty much every single major sport (except maybe football at the non-finesse, non-QB positions). Basketball is not an exception to this rule. The vast majority of the players you draft, including the highly-heralded ones, will not make it to the show. Of the ones that do, only a fraction end up as anything better than bench players. Of that fraction, an even smaller portion end up as starters or better.

The reality is that even if Canaan pans out, it will take him a year to contribute anything close to a league-average starter's production (not even John Wall or, gasp, Jeremy Lin were able to do so over the course of a their first meaningful season - one because of overall production and the other because of injury). In the interim, you are relying on Beverley and Brooks to not only replace Lin, but also serve as the primary bench for Harden. That's not a lot of depth for a team that expects to go deep into the playoffs.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

With DM the assistant GM the 'Final Fifteen' is light years away.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Speaking of whom, hmm... :grin:

5. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Smith is ok but seriously his D is suspect. Hence our defensive hole when Asik was rotated to rest. :cool:

6. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

That would be awesome!! I will certainly buy Sixers' season tickets if that would happen even though I have to take a long train to go to Philadelphia.

7. treeman

treeman Member

Amazing, a thread about Aaron Brooks is at 43 pages, and shows no signs of stopping.

8. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

AB signing and Lin departure from the camp happened on the same day.

Coincidence?

9. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

College 3 pts line is not the same thing as NBA's.

10. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

This.

He didn't get "worse", he just went to China came back and got delegated in Sacramento cause they were a mess, and now just a ruined franchise. Brooks is a victim of bad circumstances; dude can still ball. I think he can definitely be a starting PG, defense is a worry, but in regards to his stroke and playing off ball it'd be sick.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As reported not as good as a screen setter as Asik and he was gambling to block shots instead of altering shots down low most of the time.

12. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

next move, murray gets us j smoove in three team deal from detroit

honestly a lineup of Brooks, Harden, Parsons, J Smith and Howard is better than Lin, Harden, Parsons, ? and Howard

make it happen murrayy

13. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

That's what she said :cool::p;):grin::eek::(:):confused::eek::mad::rolleyes:

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

15. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Nahhhh

16. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Canaan shot a lot of his 3's from NBA range far beyond the college 3 point line. YouTube him.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well, you couldn't possibly have made it clearer that you don't give a tinker's continental damn about the Houston Rockets, only about a particular player on the Houston Rockets. My guess is that if Jeremy read your posts, he would be embarrassed that one of his "fans" cares so little about the team he plays for.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Canaan's range is all the way out to 28 feet. Look up Novak's and Stephen Curry's numbers in college and compare it to Canaan's.

19. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Come on, NBA is a business, you are telling me that HOU cares about their players? They are just assets that could be traded in a nano second if a better prospect becomes available. In fact, the so call "untouchable" franchise players like Harden and DH would be traded without a second thought if LBJ makes himself available.

As said in a prior thread, some fans follow their player to a team and become a team fan, but others follow their favorite players around where ever they go. It's just the nature of fan-dom. Don't feel insulted if a player fan leaves after their favorite player gets traded. Its only a sport after all.

20. NotChandlerParsons

Brooks is one of my all time favorite players. Will never forget the Lakers series.

Even if he doesn't return to form (and I really hope he does), if we're going to have a busted guy around for "veteran leadership" purposes I want it to be him.