1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks on Jim Rome Show

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Jul 9, 2010.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Yes i noticed that, I wrote something similar up top, sounds like he's trying to be Rome.

2. ThaShark316_28

Folks...don't act like Matt Jackson didn't do that ish too...dude copied rome in 2002 when it was him and J-Fizzle.

Not saying that Innes is better. Matt's the man. But rome is copied by quite a few people.

3. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

whose this matt bowie guy? "I love you carl landry"

4. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

didn't get to hear it, what'd he say "clones"?

5. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Matt Bui was an unwitting caller to the Josh Innes show who was gushing about Carl Landry after Landry was traded. Innes set him up (after the gushing) to say, "I love you, Carl Landry" and "I miss you Carl Landry." The call was recorded and manipulated after the fact to create (in part) what Innes played on the Rome show. That's how I recall it, although I might be slightly off in the details. I happened to be listening the morning of the call, so I heard the poor guy getting set up (and doing a good job of setting himself up).

Edit: FWIW, I guess his name's actually Matt Bui (instead of Bowie).

#25 varuscelli, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  6. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

When i first heard it I was laughing. I didnt want to get rid of the landlord either but time heals.....hopefully kevin martin will pay dividends.

Ennis did admit to setting him up.....at least hes famous

7. jelanit

jelanit Contributing Member

Worst show on radio. Bad voice, bad takes. I hate tuning in for Matt Thomas only to find that his show has been extended for that particular day...

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

The Matt Bui thing is funny as hell. And I bet he posts on here...

Out yourself, Matt!

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

why is he banned? [beyond simply being an a-hole]

Rocket River

10. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

This is for those that have not heard the Matt Bowie call:
    <div id='B9178DA1A958'></div><script src='http://player.play.it/PodcastPlayer/Embed.js' type='text/javascript'></script><script type='text/javascript'>player.render('fileUrl=http://cbskiltam.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/innes-man-love-remix.mp3&name=Carl Landry/Matt Bowie Man Love Remix&artist=Wolfman&stationID=63&configFile=config.xml&buttonColor=0xd20000&buttonOverColor=0xa80000&backgroundColor=0xFFFFFF&guid=B9178DA1A958');</script>
    This is not the entire call as it was even funnier when it aired but the only thing posted.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more. The guy is as dumb as a box of rocks and has a very annoying voice.

12. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Man. Don't want to turn this thread into a why this local hack on radio sucks post, but I'm going to.

610 has pretty damn good weekend programming.

At first I thought Innes was better than Gwinn, but it changed. However, I've been finding Gwinn to be so damn annoying lately.

14. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

He's the same as Solomon to me, pick an unpopular opinion that he knows is going to angry up every bodies blood and runs with it.

15. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

so anything about aaron brooks? LOL

16. rocket3forlife2

I think Josh did a pretty darn good job if you ask me...I just heard of him, but I like the guy.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i had never heard of him either and enjoyed yesterday's show.

nor do i think he was trying to sound like Rome.

18. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Innes has that 1-hour time slot from 10-11 a.m. weekdays (right after Vandermeer/Lopez and right before Rome), but he's made enough of a splash at 610 that he's a frequent sub and additional voice for just about every other show/team that 610 has.

Yeah, he can come across as kind of a jerk at times, but he's got a a real self-deprecating side where he's not at all afraid to make fun of himself, and I think he has good balance without being overly egotistical. He's definitely a bright guy and I think that most of the controversy he might cause is done in the interest of getting dialog going with callers. He's as capable of purposefully doing his own "good cop/bad cop" (good host/bad host, nice guy/mean guy) as anyone out there. He's an occasional bully, but a good natured one (as much of an oxymoron as that seems to call anyone a good-natured bully).

Innes doesn't yet seem to have a really good feel for the history of Houston sports (too young and not a native, I guess) and that's a weakness in how he comes across to some fans. He's also got a "Rome-ish" way of grabbing hold of certain trivial topics that deserve only a moment's attention and not letting go (occasionally beating a dead horse like Rome constantly does, but not nearly as badly as Rome). Fortunately, he doesn't go into the beat-the-dead-horse mode too often and it's usually about something trivial (the Matt Bui thing with "I miss you Carl Landry" being an example, but a fairly funny one).

Innes came across on the Rome show as more dismissive of the Cleveland fan's concerns that I think he'd normally do when having a dialog with fans. I think he was trying too hard and didn't do as good a job with the Rome show as he does most times on his own show (I think he was nervous about the opportunity). He's got a lot of room for growth (and has the potential), but I don't think he would have been offered the Rome show on Friday if he were not catching the eyes and ears of the right decision-makers. All in all, I think he did a pretty good job on Friday, but with room for improvement.

Ahh, well...just a few of my thoughts.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He knows very little about sports in general. Sports knowledge is the reason I listen to sports radio. thus he fails.

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

for expats living in other cities, it is always refreshing to get a Houston angle of Sports Talk on a national stage.

I am particulary fond of Petros & Money because they have a local show that has gone semi-national across the Fox Sports Radio networks, I'm just so used to their style listening to them daily. They bring their own style to Rome's show and I appreciate that.

but I can see how people can get annoyed with the guest hosts

what happened with Whitlock, by the way?

I really think Jay Mohr is a tool when he hosts. He makes it all about himself.