1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks: My Projected Utah Jazz Killer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ready, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Ready

Ready Member

I think Aaron has the proper instincts to give the Jazz franchise a headache--- here in the playoffs and future years to come.

Comments?

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

what is your reasoning?

you could say the same thing about tracy.

for the jazz, you can say the samething about harping, williams, boozer.

3. tmac1

tmac1 Member

I think Aaron has the potential to be one of the best undersized PG's in the league ever. He has the quicks that will DWill spin on his spot.. although DWill will post up Aaron like a poster on my wall, but still..

I BELIEVE, we can get out of the first round this year:

1) Not having Yao is actually a plus - considering how the Jazz play - it hurt us more having him last year, boozer gave him a lot of trouble, okur kept draining the threes.

2) Luis Scola - do I really have to explain? I mean, Boozer definitely doesn't see this guy coming at him.

3) Carl Landry will make Harpring seem soft.

4) Tracy Mcgrady will turn it up during playoffs, don't worry - He'll start shooting better and driving like his life depends on it.

5) The 22 game winning streak has really lit a fire under the bandwagon rockets fans - everyone will be yelling in Toyota Center louder than ever.

Those are just a few - lets just hope for the best..

In the end, I must say, I am very proud of the Houston Rockets - they played amazing this year - fighting through injuries, bad calls, tough lucks, and adversity.

Thanks for the great season Rockets! Now lets show the NBA what we can bring to the Playoffs!

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

IMO, brooks could give deron a hard time, as well as the entire Jazz team. One thing we know is, we're faster and smaller, and we fit the RA system better (when Deke is out).

Remember, Deron relies on strength (not too much on speed) to beat his opponents, running Brooks on him will force him to chase brooks around. We all know what brooks did to Nash against the Suns, Nash is pretty fast even at his age, but Nash was completely shut down by brooks (brooks play good defense as well).

Also, another reason why Brooks is a very good idea is Utah Jazz no longer have a consistent big time PG backup like Fisher. Deron could rest alot last year because their other PG, fisher could carry the team as a PG. But fisher is gone, and Deron does not have a good backup PG for him.

As a matter of fact, I think we have the PG advantage, at least for Bench anyways. Once Deron sits out, we can exploit the PG spot. If we can put Brooks on Deron as much as possible, we can make Deron run his ass off.

5. Ready

Ready Member

my reasoning is his fearlessness.

though he is small, he wont let the physicality of the Jazz spoil his tenacity for speed and shooting.

He's got the potential for high IQ when he gets just a tad more experience...and

I think he's a next generation Rocket type of player that will always regard the jazz as an average opponent, ready to be eaten at all moments.

6. apocclass

apocclass Member

if this series hinges on the play of aaron brooks, we are going to be swept.

7. Ready

Ready Member

Good points.
    I think Brooks can help us squash the Jazz.

8. iku

iku Member

Hm.. i agree not having yao MAY be a good thing, but it's definitly not a plus if we do get out of first round, and meet the lakers without yao.
    i miss yao :(

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I see you posting so many negative things in so many threads that Im beginning to get tired of you.

Would you just shut the hell up for one second. If you watched the regular season, you should know very well that we performed the impossible.

Why is it that you think we have no chance against Jazz. And even if you don't think we have a chance why is it that you post negative comments about us having no chance in every thread. You know how pathetic that is?

10. Ready

Ready Member

don't take the thread out of context.

Just wait and see how well we're gonna be playing if Brooks is confident out there and making a decent amount of shots in his playing time.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

They're not saying he'll be depended on to win the series.

They're saying he'll be the dark horse surprise player who'll make an impact cause the Jazz didn't plan on him being a factor. I'm hoping that too, he was very productive in the last few games when Rafer was out.

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

our pg bench is better than theirs, but it is not like deron is only gonna play 25 minutes. last thing we need with our team, is to trade baskets.

sure, brooks may score on williams, but williams likes to post up, and to players like brooks, it should be money for him. brooks have to gain weight, and get strong like earl boykins so hopefully he can be a chuck hayes type of defender when bigger pgs try to post him up.

13. Ready

Ready Member

can't they put brooks on someone else on defense then?

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Exactly, that is my point. Deron won't play just 25 minutes. Their backup PG is not near as consistent as Fisher. This is why we should put Brooks on him. Deron might be able to last 2-3 games with Brooks on him and him having to guard Brooks, but with his assbone hurting. I doubt he could last even 1 game.

The main point is, Deron is hurt right now, and even if he isn't, having him guard Brooks will take out tons of energy out of him. Like you said, Deron is strong and likes posting up. The guy cannot post up nearly as effectively if his legs are tired and hurting.

15. apocclass

apocclass Member

i just think they are more talented, and they play just as hard as we do.

i like brooks a lot, and i pray to god he has a big series. i think i hate the jazz more than i do the mavs, so i would like nothing more than to beat them down, ESPECIALLY since they are so heavily favored, but i just know it will not happen. i don't see how anyone looking at this series objectively can think any other way.

i don't mean to be negative, just realistic. i see some people around here getting their hopes up way too high. i can't stop thinking about the rockets, this wait for the playoffs to start is so agonizing so i come here and look at threads and just end up posting what to you, is negative. im not trying to piss anyone off, i just can't stop. i want us to win so badly but i know we won't and the closer it gets to game time its bothering me more and more. i hate knowing we will lose to a team like utah :mad:

16. laneh

laneh Member

Agreed but having Rafer would be a huge plus - really sucks to have him out ... plus, he is going to be rusty when he gets back for the following week.

17. ibm

ibm Member

#1, losing yao definitely does not make us better off. yes, boozer was a headache last year, but so far it's not like deke or scola has done any better. our p&r defense isn't any better now than w/ yao either.

#2, scola has been excellent. but he's not as good as boozer (yet). and you'd better believe utah does a thorough scouting - just like every nba team.

#3, landry makes harpring seem soft? highly doubt it.

#4, if mcgrady will up his level of play like he has is still a question due to injuries he has now.

#5, home court is really our big hope. we must hold serve. not that it's impossible to win in slc, but mathematically us having to pull one in 3 games is actually harder than them having to pull one in 4 (which they did last year).

18. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Wow. Thats quite a statement. I'm all for fandom and excitement for the playoffs, but we're in for an incredible dogfight against a team many consider the best in the West. Deron is probably the 2nd best PG in the whole league. IMHO, that's easily our weakest matchup, especially with Alston out.

But, I have to admit, I've been wondering if Brooks won't be the X-factor in this series. Most of their offense goes through him, and if Brooks could pester him, and keep him getting the ball to the other players, that could be his greatest value. Hopefully he's over his rookie wall, and can be a little waterbug at high altitudes.

19. Pringles

Pringles Member

that could work, if we were playing a small backcourt like denver.

i may be wrong, but their sg and sf is brewer and ak47. brewer is ATHLETIC and explosive, and ak47 is big with long arms. that is why, people on this board don't like luther head, cause he too, gives up too much on size.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It wasn't too realistic when we reached the playoffs and managed to end up with the fourth best record, yet at the same time go on a 22-0 streak and a 10 game streak without Yao, yet beating big time teams like Hornets.