1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AAFL] Draft - Team Texas

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Angkor Wat, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.allamericanfootballleague.com/

Don't know how many people heard of this but yes, its a brand new Pro Football League to start in the Spring. Guess what? We have another football team! TEAM TEXAS. They'll be playing at Rice Stadium and the live draft is going on right now on Ch. 55.

AND the First Pick for Team Texas........

QB Eric Crouch

[​IMG]
    2001 Heisman

2. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Eric Crouch running John Jenkins' Run-N-Shoot? That oughta be interesting.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

LOL, there are 50 rounds. But they give up rounds in middle if they choose players from a "protected" state so it should go quicker. So only Texas takes players who played for Texas colleges.

4. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

WOW!
    Can't believe I am interested in who "Team Texas" get in this... ahhhh football draft. I am from Nebraska though -- so

GO BIG RED..... LOL!!!!!

5. Cannonball

Team Texas players from Texas:

BJ Symons, QB Texas Tech
    Wade Koehl, LB Houston
    Phillip Geiggar, DB Texas
    Jason Hunt, WR Trinity
    Alan Reuber, OL Texas A&M

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

This league is going to be so full of fail it's funny. Have you looked at the ticket prices some of these teams are charging? Tickets from $13-53 dollars for minor league football? The Florida team playing in THREE different home stadiums?

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I'm actually looking forward to the season. I like the concept where you have to be a college graduate to even play for them will hopefully make college athletes that aren't sure locks for the NFL finish college. The league pays from $50k-$100k, which is more than the Arena Football League at $30k per year. So it's a good alternative for the players that don't get drafted into the NFL.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They should have had 1 team that only allows non-college graduates and called them the Oakland Thugs or something. They should also be permitted to juice. That I would watch.

9. Cannonball

More:
    Wes Bautovich, DB Texas A&M
    William Blaylock, OL Baylor
    Eric Buchanan, S TCU
    Lance Everson, LB Houston
    Kyle Green, DE Angelo State
    Will Gulley, S Houston
    Phillip Hawkins, OL Houston
    Larry Hayden, LB Texas State
    Rolando Humphrey, DB SMU
    John Kirk, OL Texas A&M
    Kliff Kingsbury, QB Texas Tech
    Adrian Madise, WR TCU
    Don McGee, DB North Texas
    Paul Mosley, RB Baylor
    Jonathan Palafox, DB Angelo State
    Chad Price, S Rice
    Ranorris Ray, DL TCU
    Bryce Reed, DL Texas A&M
    Beny Rouse, DL Texas Southern
    Jared Scruggs, P Rice
    John Syptak, DL Rice
    Stacy Thomas, S Texas Southern
    Justin Warren, LB Texas A&M
    Sean Weston, CB Texas A&M

Other notables:
    Florida will have Chris Leak and Peter Warrick
    Tennessee will have Tee Martin

10. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I'm actually VERY EXCITED about this league...

I always thought it would be a great business to have a league for all of the guys from big time conferences that fans get attached to and aren't good enough for the NFL to play in and against each other.

i spent years watching guys like klingsbury and symons in the big XII and always wanted to continue following their careers...

11. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I gotta say this is the most interesting minor league football league that's popped up in my life time.

Though its still not going to make it people just dont care about football after the superbowl except the draft.

They should do it in the fall and have all their games Tuesday night or something like that. That would be better IMHO

12. Cannonball

I thought the XFL was interesting when it first started up. More interesting than this.

They want this league to take the place of NFL Europe. They want to give players a shot at hopefully making an NFL roster. NFL personnel directors and GMs are busy enough as it is. If you want them to look at the players in the AAFL, you can't really run it during the NFL regular season.

13. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I don't know if this will fail quite as bad as everyone may think...one of their sponsors is the NFL, which is a good business move. With the end of NFL Europe, this is a MUCH cheaper alternative, that will have the support of the NCAA as well.

I would doubt that the NCAA and NFL would support it as much if they "competed" (took attention away) on a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday night in the fall.

The league is really looking to push the college atmosphere (no team nicknames for instance) at the "professional" level. I see the Arena League as having maximized their potential already, whereas a league like the AAFL is one that could attract a broader fanbase, and potentially TV contracts.

I see this league being the more successful of the two new leagues, the other having Mark Cuban as an owner. I mentioned in another thread about the AAFL that I had contacted and heard back from one of the executives about this new league regarding employment in an administrative position, but I just have concerns about the type of situation I would be put in, especially having no idea if this league will catch on or not.

14. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

The Texas team has Kliff Kingsbury, BJ Symons AND Eric Crouch? Well, if nothing else they oughta be set at the QB position. Haven't heard of most of the others. although a few of the names ring a bell.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I actually liked the XFL. They had some very innovative rules. Problem was, they couldn't shake off the WWE image, even though the only thing common in both was Vince. Nobody took it seriously and never gave it a chance. They were going to do a second season but couldn't secure a TV deal and decided the axe the whole thing all together. Oh yeah, it couldn't hurt if they had better talent.

Honestly, if the AFL can stay around for 20 years, I don't see how a more traditional football league, the AAFL couldn't do the same.....if given the chance. I'm wondering Mark Cuban's UFL will work out. He wants to run games on Friday Nights, during the NFL season. More pro football during the week! And with the AAFL, it could be a year round of Pro Football.

16. Buck Turgidson

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Hadn't thought about that bleepity bleeped bleeping bleep in years until he came up in conversation the other night.

Don't put him on special teams.

17. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Guess I'll be rooting for Alabama since they were the only team to draft a Miner...LB Alex Obomese in the fifth round, who just missed out on making the Cowboys roster this year.

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Oops you're talking about Arena Football.

I thought you were talking about the AFL...as in American Football League.

19. DreamRoxCoogFan

AHHH its my boy WADE!!!!

20. DreamRoxCoogFan

lmao... you got me thinking