1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A. Walker traded 5 Team Deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketlaunch, Aug 2, 2005.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

*In regards to the trade, Antoine Walker will flourish next to Shaq. They are very improved. More importantly, this proves the value of expiring contracts. Miami adds two quality starters in exchange for Eddie Jones' expiring deal. In the past we have seen, off the top of my head:

NY for marbury, golden state for baron davis, memphis for bonzi wells, minnesota for sprewell (in exchange for terrel brandon's contract), dallas for jason terry and antoine jamison, portland for sharif and ratliff (for an expiring rasheed wallace).....the list goes on and on. For this reason, I hope the Rockets don't waive their expiring players and hold onto them until the deadline.

*While the West still has more depth of quality teams, I think you can now finally make a case that the East's best is better than the West's best. If I ranked teams right now, I would have it like this:

1. Spurs
    2. Pistons
    3. Heat
    4. Pacers
    5. Rockets
    6. Mavs
    7. Nuggets
    8. Suns
    9. Sonics
    10.Cavaliers

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Stan Van Gundy sure has it good! :eek:

3. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

i am confused,i thought ostertag went back to utah in the bobby jackson deal....

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'd rank:

1. Spurs
    2. Heat
    3. Rockets
    4. Pistons
    5. Pacers

............etc

Sonics won't make the playoffs this year. They've lost too much talent..besides their coach. Rockets, Pistons, Pacers really too close to call although I favor us because we improved and Detroit lost it's coach. Pacers could be very tough. You also left out the Nets. Barring major injury the Nets will give the top 4 in the East a run for their money.

5. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Grizz just took themselves out of the run for playoff, and I have no clue what Jazz is doing.

6. langal

langal Contributing Member

I'd put New Jersy up there somewhere below Houston.

7. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Brilliant.

Everything's in place for them to separate themselves from Detroit.

8. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Grizzlies will still make the playoffs. We will be better than last season, much better if we get another inside presence. Don't annoint Miami just yet, they will be terrible on defense and picked up two poor shooters from the field and from the FT line. They would have been better off with a small tweak. That team is going to be some hot garbage in two years with long term money in Walker, Shaq and Haslem.

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Some others might see it as a "hot seat" situation for Stan.

He has to win, win fast and win big.

If he comes out of the gate slowly (especially considering the huge hype that will engulf his team), he could be sent packing.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

A lot of this sits on Shaq's ability to keep everyone in line. Last year, his most important contribution was creating a team atmosphere that saw everyone fall in line. With Zo (assuming he returns), Walker, and Williams around, that's a heck of a full plate.

How Williams and Wade get along on the court is my biggest question. I'm less worried about Walker. Here's saying that Shaq is on his way to a 50-game season. With a team so deep, I've got no doubts that he'll be quick to sit out games because of nagging injuries.

Evan

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Eddie Jones isnt an expiring contract. It expires in 2 years. Just a year less than JWill's. That's the incentive.

Also, Eddie Jones is still a decent player. Sometimes it is not all about "expiring contracts" but "expiring contracts consisting of decent players." Versus expiring contracts consisting of garbage like we have sans Wesley.

As Clutch pointed out in a thread on the Rockets board, the Rockets arent the only team with expiring deals. There are a number of other teams too with them, and there are a lot more expiring deals consisting of decent players versus our garbage.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

True, esp with Riley, possibly, waiting for a chance to move back down to the coaching seat.

SVG has a ton of pressure this up coming season.