1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A. Walker traded 5 Team Deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketlaunch, Aug 2, 2005.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I saw this last night and I'm wondering why Miami needed all those players...I'd love to have Posey back or even JWilliams...Then you add AW into the mix???

Anyway, pretty amazing and I do this Miami with a lot of depth, but they you disrupt the chemistry they had last year...

As for the other teams, I don't see how they win in this deal...

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't know how you can so confidently say that. they seem improved to me ON PAPER. i don't know how that will translate out. but generally speaking...if you add more talent/better players in the NBA, you win more.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

On paper the Heat got the best end of this.

Boston: Got something for Walker who wasnt wanted anyway
    Hornets: Under the cap team just taking on salary. Too bad the Rockets couldnt dump a salary on them and then get DS from Portland since Portland doesnt want to take on salary.
    Memphis: Dumping contracts, and less years. Nothing more. I think this is the first time West has made a trade where he gets the lesser end of a deal in terms of overall talent. This is his first take less talent back to clear cap room type deal.
    Miami: Younger talent to keep the championship window open with Shaq.

Miami got younger assets if nothing more in this deal. They turned Eddie Jones into Walker, Posey and Williams. That's pretty good. And they are all relatively young. If they dont work out they can be moved too.

While Posey seems like a natural fit, I am a bit skeptical on how guys like Walker and Williams will fit in with Shaq and Wade. They ALL want the ball and all are effective with the ball and not so much without it. That will be what SVG has to overcome here. So it is a risk. Heat got a great end of a trade, but the chemistry risk is certainly there so I wouldnt say this is a slam dunk for them. But it looks pretty good.

4. mulletman

mulletman Member

no kidding.

this is almost as bad as when the spurs traded dennis rodman to the bulls for will perdue

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Pretty amazing deal. I'm waiting to hear what MemphisX's spin is on the trade.

West sure goes to a lot of trouble not to make a deal with the Rocks for Swift, which was great for us (we get him for less!), but turns around and does this. Wow. Go figure.

6. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

The Heat's Roster Looks Like this Now:

Center: Shaq/Zo
    PForward: Walker/Haslem
    SForward: Posey
    SGuard: Wade
    Point: JWill

This is a strange team though. Shaq, their 20 million dollar man, is more of a half court player and The 1,2,3 and even Walker to some extent play better in a more uptempo game. Posey's shooting is suspect and J/will and walker are extremely streaky shooters especially from three point range.

If Riley can control Walker/Jwill's game and have them play within the system, then I think they will be amazing. Thats a difficult task though.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The task, IMO, belongs to Superman/The Diesel/ad nauseum. If Shaq can run herd on these animals then the Heat will be invincible. However, there's a whole lotta kryptonite and Bizarro World in South Beach.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

and "superman" isn't what he used to be

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Not on the court f'shure, and lest we forget the last time we saw him and Kobe and PJax heading into three different sunsets.

10. GRENDEL

With what looked like an unbeatable team.....

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

But the team was old (at least Payton & Malone were). And they still got to the Finals.

12. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

The team has a very different look when Shaq takes his "sick" days off. Best Miami scenario, opponents will have to gameplan for two very different teams.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Don't forget the moves Cleveland has made. I think the Eastern Conference is officially as good as the Western. Hell, it may even be better.

14. GRENDEL

And now Shaq is starting to show signs of his age.

15. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

this trade doesn't make miami much better because two of the guys acquired (williams and walker) have to have the ball in their hands to be effective. and i would rather have wade handling the ball than williams who has been reigned in a little bit but still shoots too many bad shots and can't play a lick of defense. walker is the exact same way. the ball has to be in wade's and shaq's hands. i don't believe walker is willing to be a 3rd option anywhere and williams is one of the league's worst ball hogs. i don't see miami getting much better.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Some of you guys who wanted Walker here are wondering if there are enough basketball in Miami? :confused:

17. GRENDEL

Well, I can tell you that I never wanted Walker in a Roxs uni, I live in Dallas and saw what he did when he was with the Mavs, if he's not the first option, he's useless and could become a cancer on a team

#57 GRENDEL, Aug 3, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  18. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i sure as hell didn't want walker in houston because i knew that there wasn't going to be enough ball here either. we don't need a PF chunking up 5 three's a game, now he's miami's problem. good luck.

19. Man

Man Contributing Member

That's a really good team. REALLY GOOD. Skilled + Athletic.

20. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

Why does a team, that lost Game 7, with Shaq and Wade clearly not at 100%, go out and make such a radical move like this? At least when the Rockets got Barkley and Willis in "97, it was with the thought of beating Seattle that year after they swept us out of the playoffs the year before. Does anyone really think that this helps the Heat beat the Pacers or Pistons in the later rounds of the playoffs?