1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A. Walker traded 5 Team Deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketlaunch, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

Do you think this might have been what CD was talking about when he said they were gonna do something big in the off-season or whatever he said a couple months back. This would also make sense because of us having interest in Walker. I don't know just something that came to mind? We were also thinking about white coco too.

2. munco

munco Member

:eek: :(
    crap. the Heat got a lot better on paper anyways. here's to hoping the chemistry sucks and that there's not enough basketballs or playing time to split amongst those guys. Shaq demands/deserves the ball. Wade deserves the ball. Haslem hustles for the ball. Walker hogs the ball. J-Will hogs the ball. I count four guys that either deserve or hog the ball, I hope this experiment fails.

3. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

He unloaded two big contracts. Next Lorenzen Wright will leave. Bonzi Wells is gone. Except, for Brian Cardinal their financial picture gets better

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Heat is going to be a 60 plus win regular season team next year, no doubt about that. But can they overcome Piston or pacer in a 7 game series?

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The one question mark here is that Walker, Shaq, Wade, and JWill are all guys that like to have the ball in their hands, especially Shaq. Can Walker tone down his game to the point that he's basically just a better rebounding and ballhandling Robert Horry? I doubt it. STV & Riles probably see the same thing in Walker that they saw in Odom. Is that necessarily the best fit for them?

Also, Jason Williams' inconsistent 3pt shot could lead to some problems offensively, and frankly, he's not much better than DJ defensively. He's a better player than Damon Jones, but I don't know if he's the best fit in Miami.

Posey should start. His skills (rebounding, defense, 3pt shooting) all complement Shaq and Wade well, and he doesn't need to handle the ball much to be effective. He could be a lot like Rick Fox (just without the passing skills and horrendous hair).

Miami will probably win 60 games again next year, but I still don't think that they can beat Detroit. Remember how thoroughly Kenyon Martin destroyed Toine a few years back in the playoffs? Imagine what the Detroit frontline will do in a rough series.

We'll see if this works out.

6. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

this past season, the pistons beat the heat in the ECF because of 3 reasons:

1. shaq was not at 100%
    2. wade was not at 100%
    3. larry brown

aside from the big 2 of shaq and wade, there really wasn't anyone else to worry about except maybe eddie jones, but he is obviously past his prime and is not as much of a threat to create his own shot or get to the free throw line as he was 5 years ago.

now that they've added williams, posey, and walker, they now have amazing depth. and without larry brown, overrated or not, and no offense to flip saunders, they are not going to be as good a team as they have been the past 2 years.

the pacers already had no answer for shaq, and now they have to deal with 3 new additions to the team who can punish them for doubling on o'neal or helping out with wade.

i'm just glad the heat are in the east.

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Wow, did anyone at least give Memphis a reacharound?

They're not having the best offseason in the world.

8. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

I think Posey will help the Heat out the most. He's a lockdown defender and he's a streaky shooter who can knock down threes when Shaq and Wade are doubled. I really have no clue how Walker will fit on this team. He handles the ball way too much and is notorious for taking low percentage shots. He's a career FG% of 41 and 3PT% of 32, not to mention he's averaged 3.2 tpg for his career. If he's willing to sacrifice some shots I guess he could be decent three point threat, but ultimately I think Posey complements Wade and Shaq much better than Walker. I feel pretty much the same way about Williams. Although he handles the ball fairly well and is a good passer he takes a lot of ill-advised shots. If I were the Heat I would stick with D. Jones at the point. I might not be as flashy as Williams, but he proved last year he can shoot for a good percentage from beyond the arc and when you're playing with two superstars all you need to do is hand them the ball and let them create.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think they are doing well. They were'nt going to win with that current team.

now they have bobby jackson, eddie jones. Veteran guys.
    White Chocolate and Bonzi Tree weren't contributing much.

They lost swift, but they got Warrick in the draft.
    I think West knows what he's doing, I mean they are a playoff team under him. which is saying alot since they sucked before.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

When playing the Heat, one can now not only do "Hack-a-Shaq", but also "Hack-a-Walker". That is like 12 possessions for the Heat where you can put a low FT % shooter on the line... nice.

11. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

"With you managing a team you would throw caution to the wind and concoct a 5 team 23 player deal including the car valet at the stadium."

I guess Mr. Preposterous Trade Suggestor isn't all that preposterous.

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The NBA is seriously trying to shift some power back to the east where all the ratings are and they are doing a good job..i mean how else do you get a freaking 5 team 13 player trade to work out...looks like a trade David Stern put together himself to say "here you go shaq, have some fun" lol.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I want RealGM to upgrade their trade checker to make 7-team trades possible, also, they should go back to displaying actual salary information instead of percentages.

Then, I can come up with some more nice trades :cool:.

14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

With Superman and Flash, now I'm waiting for Shaq to call his team "The League of Justice" at the press conference. :D

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That's the first thing that I thought of, how is everyone going to stay happy about their shots?

Walker went through a similar situation when he was with the Mavs. He wasn't the main option and he just unloaded bad shots whenever he touched the ball.

I think there is going to be internal problem by the middle of the season, esp. with White Cholocate doing the same thing.

Posey, on the other hand, is an excellent pick up for them.

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

The Heat definitely have a boatload of talent, but I'm not sure it's such a great mix of players. They lost quite a bit of shooting by replacing Damon and Eddie Jones (2 very good shooters) with JWill, Posey, and Walker (3 bad-mediocre shooters). Plus, Wade doesn't have that much range either. I think they'll probably end up with the best record in the league, but come playoff time, Indiana or Detroit will exploit their lack of shooting.

17. roswell raygun

Poor Eddie Jones. He got shipped out of Los Angeles the year before the Lakers started winning championships. Now he gets traded away from Miami, which now has the talent to be the NBA's next great team.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

:eek:

I can't get over how incredible this deal is. Miami got everything they wanted in one fell swoop. Masterfully orchestrated.

I'm curious about the egos myself, but the Heat have the potential to look a lot like the 97 Rockets if Walker concentrates on defense and rebounds.

They still have to overcome the Pistons and fully loaded Pacers, but their roster has been considerably upgraded.

Looks like it's going to be a Red finals.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What possessed four teams to conspire to hand the championship to Miami?

20. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

This trade doesn't change Miami's position in the east. The Pacers are going to be good, the Nets are potentially more badass, and Detroit is well ... Detroit :)

Miami definitely wont win more games next season than they did last season.